Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss bone density treatment side effects in the Main forums forums; I haven't seen this item discussed, but if this information is old news to everyone please excuse the duplication. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-25-2007, 04:13 PM

Default bone density treatment side effects

I haven't seen this item discussed, but if this information is old news to everyone please excuse the duplication.

Last week my wife Janet finally had a tooth extraction after three months of agony. We delayed this procedure while looking for any alternative because of our oral surgeons reluctance to extract teeth of any patient currently on or recently receiving biophosphante treatment. Biophosphonate (Fosamax among others) treatment appears to be not an uncommon recommendation for those with lower bone density scores looking to receive disc arthroplasty.

Our oral surgeon, who is the local dental assoc president, has been actively informing the local medical commmnunity about the link between biophosphonates and bone necrosis. He has personally seen multiple cases of this and claims this is not new. While the most prevalent cases involve IV biophosphanates, he indicated oral and nasal treatments have also been culprits. Apparently after an extraction that area of the bone can swell, become exposed, and is at risk for secondary infection. There have been cases of patients losing their entire jawbone according to this doctor. He stated that Janet has a 1-7% chance of developing this condition for up to one year. If this condition were to develope and is treated early the chances are excellent of stopping any further damage.

My intent is not to alarm anyone, but just relay what has been told to us by what we believe to be a cautious health care provider. It may be prudent to be extra vigilant regarding your dental health prior to starting a biophosphonate regiment.

bob