Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Newbie: Impact activities after ADR/Lami? in the Main forums forums; Hello! I just found this forum yesterday, and was thrilled! I had posted on other similar sites back when I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-22-2007, 06:24 PM

Default Newbie: Impact activities after ADR/Lami?

Hello!

I just found this forum yesterday, and was thrilled! I had posted on other similar sites back when I was pre-op and early post-op from my 15-S1 Prodisc. So "hello" to all you spineys here. Glad I found you and here's a litte bit about me:

I am 4 years out from my l5-S1 Prodisc as part of the clincal trials. I had a previous laminectomy at the same level, that reduced my leg pain, but the disc just couldn't hold up to daily living, so I had the ADR. My recovery was long, but successful. I have been satisfied with my outcome, but have been very careful with my activiity level and have never pushed the envelope to see how much I could do. I was happy enough being relatively painfree, able to function daily with out thinking about my back, I could do pretty much anything I wanted. I take long walks and hikes, go on SOME of the rides at Disneyland, get on the floor and play with kids and dogs, . . . you get the idea.

So about 2 months ago I am on a winter vacation. I had the chance to go on a dogsled ride through the snow in the national forest. Being a big dog lover, it sound like a really fun adventure. Well, I had no idea how much pounding and jarring there would be. It was pretty high impact. I would say like a speed boat racing accross a choppy lake. The dogs sled ride was an hour and a half. Didn't hurt at the time, but the pain came on a day later and I havent been the same since. Bi-level sciatica in the legs and burning the the heels and soles of my feet. It has been nearly 2 months now. It has improved somewhat, but it is still a big daily problem.

I figured I messed up the Prodisc or tore another disc. Got X-Rays and a MRI. Prodisc fine, all other discs, fine. What my doc is saying is that the l5-S1 nerves, exiting from the Prodisc level got irritated and inflamed. Maybe from the scar tissue at that level from the prior laminectomy. The put me on Lyrica last week and scheduled an epidural for next week.

I guess the question that I am asking the group is: Does this sound normal?????? Has anyone else found that they absolutely cant do anything that has impact? And if they did somehting high impact, did the flare go on for over 2 months and require getting back on meds and having epidurals? You can imagine how frustrating and emotionally draining this is afer feeling so good FINALLY.

If anyone has had a similar experience with flare ups long after recovery, or pushing the envelope and finding where their limits are, I would appreicate the feedback. I guess it is a little disapointing to find out that anything with impact should be off limits for me.

I read of ADR patients that are able to get back to all kinds of activities, impact activiites too. Does the prior posterior sugery and the scar tissue it creates around the nerves make my situation different?

Any ADR patients out there who had a prior posterior surgery and found their limitation are different that other ADR patients?

I live in the SF Bay area and am considering flying down to LA and going to Delmarter and/or Regan for a 2nd opinion on my situation. I also thought of checking out Dr. Filler and possibly getting an MRN. Could be piriformis syndrome. Not sure if all that is really necessary . . . It will require a week off work and $$$

Any and all feeback is would be appreicated!

Thanks
Laurel