Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Is this a crazy idea? in the Main forums forums; edited as necessary...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2007, 03:26 PM

Default Is this a crazy idea?

edited as necessary

Last edited by Maria; 05-17-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:02 PM

Hi Maria,
I wish I had some words of wisdom for you. I understand the feeling of not wanting to make things worse and not knowing which way to go. If I were able, I think I would go to Germany and see Dr. Baumbach. I have seen so many good things about him on this site. It is difficult because you are so dictated by WC. It may though , help you if you knew exactly what was going on with your back. Possibly give you the info you need and the right questions to ask. It is a sad day when we have to leave the US to get decent healthcare!

I have been denied by Social Security for a disability although I am fighting it. At this point I can't afford to go.I would if I could though. I am not dealing with WC but HMO"S. I have becoming so disillusioned for the medical field I have given my life to. Sometimes I really think my GP is just done with me. Here she comes again...same old complaints!

I am glad I had my recent surgery even if I am not any better than I was at this point. I am no worse either. So my quality of life is the same as before surgery. I am thankful for that as my fear was that I would be worse.

I wish I could help you with your decision but I have no answers only understanding of the rock and a hard place that you are in!
Betsy
Old 06-26-2007, 06:56 PM

Maria:
The plan doesn't sound crazy to me--since you're not otherwise restricted timewise by a job, etc, you really do have the freedom to do this. And in-person consults with the Dr. B's would be so wonderful and informative. The only iffy part is the personal part related to the implications for you of moving back with your husband and being dependent on him.
Barbara
Old 06-26-2007, 09:10 PM

Default thanks~

edited as necessary

Last edited by Maria; 05-17-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:01 PM

Yap, you're in a difficult situation. One thought: after you move in, how do you get out again if you want to.

But I think you're right on in getting the best possible for your back given your back hx and uncertainties.

ans
Old 06-27-2007, 12:00 AM

Maria,

Some times you're thinking logically and sometimes emotionally. But facing facts, your back is an emotional issue.

I don't know your personal circumstances, and I'm not sure where you're living now either. BUT you have only one back and it seems only one chance to get it right.

Now, if what happens in Germany stays there, why go? You want Dr. B & B's opinion but why does it have to stay there? If they tell you something different than your American doctors, I would think it opens the door for future discussion. If not, would you heed the advise from Germany and perhaps go there or would you simply do what WC tells you? Basically, would you go to Germany just for the info? No, of course not. If you go it's because you want their opinion to guide future decisions about your one and only back.

Now, if you get a different opinion from Germany and WC doesn't go along, would you go back for the surgery?

If you don't plan on bringing back whatever you might learn in Germany, don't bother going. However, if you fully intend to use that information, whether it be fighting with WC and/or eventually making your way back there for your surgery, then by all means, make whatever sacrifice is necessary.

My opinion is you can't afford to make too many wrong decisions before they can no longer be corrected. You (and me) already have one bad surgery under your belt and lots of unyielding scar tissue. One possibly is you might be left with regrets, the other is you might have to make extreme financial sacrifices. Which one is the bigger ouch?

Good luck Maria... and about your husband... sometimes we have no choice but to be dependent on others. If he's willing, he sounds like a good guy.

Dale
Old 06-27-2007, 05:00 AM

Default what I meant...

WC hasn't authorized a lumbar ESI for me in awhile. One has been recently requested again, and if I were to travel I have gotten them in the past to make it much more comfortable and even feasible~

So what happens in Germany stays in Germany was meant in terms of if couldn't get one here with WC auth, hopefully maybe I could arrange for one there if needed since it would make a world of diff in terms of how I travel and possibly whether I'd be in bed or bouncing around/sightseeing~ or really getting what I'd be going there for, opinions!

Would like an opinion w/Dr.Baumbach re my cervical spine which thankfully isn't WC related so no strings attached there (tho want an opinion re my low back too)~

Yes, hub's a good guy.. we both have tempers..oil and water~
Old 06-27-2007, 12:37 PM

It's just so much easier when the other partner readily takes instructions.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:02 PM

Default taking instructions..

ans~
AMEN