Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss lumbar 2 level prodisc-l {larry} in the Main forums forums; hello everyone i spoke to my room mate at the Bogen Hospital he had two level Prodisc-L s1-l5 ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2006, 01:49 PM

Default lumbar 2 level prodisc-l {larry}

hello everyone
i spoke to my room mate at the Bogen Hospital he had two level Prodisc-L s1-l5 l4-l5 larry had has surgery first Aug 2nd just before my surgery and is doing very well and i've asked to post his emails to show his progress.larry is 26 years old and from Finland and is a awesome guy. i'll my best not to screw up the postings so please bare with me as i have saved his emails. also i've stayed in touch with jessica whom had neck done shes also doing well.
chuck
facet block neg
lost all appeals BCBS 5 months of that
3 surgeons later
surgery with dr. bertagnoli aug 2nd 2006 in Bogen Germany Successfully ProDisc-L L-4 L-5
Old 10-12-2006, 01:50 PM

sept 13th 6 weeks postop
Hi!
Ive got the opposite going on: I am only getting better, all back pain gone and the only pain left is the muscle pain due to physiotherapy. Speaking of which I got the directions for hardened exercise today: I used to do the stuff three times a day in bed (and actually worked up a sweat) but from now on I ll do the exercises standing up and in bed with the RUBBER BAND, like the one they had in hospital. My PT says he has never seen similar rapid progress and by and large I should be rehabilitated before Xmas. I keep the brace on during day but in the evening I take it off for hours, because the physio has made my spine very supported and I m not afraid of falling down any more. Only three weeks and the f´n brace will be off for good!! Im heading to Lapland to my university in a couple of weeks and I really feel that the travel wont be a problem. I already walk around my home town for a couple of hours everyday routinely.
I´m having my control with my surgeon next week and it will only cost me about 300 euros. so Cheap I could cry!! If there is no migration or subsidence I´m pretty much done!! Also my surgeon said if need be he´ll do the Verteboplasty for me here in Finland.
I´m happy to hear that you´re making gradual progress in the right direction and remeber that Dr. Bertagnoli told you to expect A LOT OF PAIN. But in time it will pass I´m confidant so just keep the spirit up and it will be resolved in time. Do let me know how the control is.
Larry
facet block neg
3 surgeons later
surgery with dr. bertagnoli aug 2nd 2006 in Bogen Germany Successfully ProDisc-L L-4 L-5
Old 10-12-2006, 01:50 PM

10 weeks post-op
Hello!
How is the recovery progressing? still having the distraction pain? I am off all medication except for sleep which is something I am starting to work on next. It´s pretty impressive but I can bend and grab my ankles now!! it was just amazing! soon I should be able to touch my toes as well! two weeks ago I could only get my hands to my knees and now I routinely bend to tie my shoe laces etc.!! How much mobility do you have at this stage? Of course my f´n back muscles and hamstrings are giving me trouble as they are tight as hell, but they will collapse... I also am having my mild period of post-op blue as you had as well. But with ever increasing amount of action it should dissolve in few weeks! Also the university seems to have been hit by prohibition but I hope to stand corrected Smiler. maybe next week Lord Willing..
All the best to everyone!!
Larry
facet block neg
3 surgeons later
Old 10-12-2006, 01:52 PM

10 weeks post-op update on getting his money refunded
Hello!
Of course you may post my mail! Spread the word! The only thing I am pissed off with is the fact that I didn´t have the operation earlier! The whole body will have to suffer due to stupid head...Smiler
I am very happy to hear that you are doing so well!! but keep in mind that there is no rush with weaning off from the meds, just drop them when you feel comfortable with it, maybe today, maybe tomorrow, maybe later.
I have been looking at the Finnish and Federal law as have my friends (the university has a law school) and pretty much everyone feels that I should get the money back without a fight. Currently I have hired (altho I am not sure) Finland 3rd biggest law firm and they should write the letter for the insurance company some time before Xmas. But Ill have to hunt down my lawyer and ask him where the shebang going at the mo.
Great to hear that everyone is fine and tell everyone to keep themselves that way!!
Ill keep you posted on my insurance fights and recovery!
Larry
facet block neg
3 surgeons later
Old 10-12-2006, 02:12 PM

oppss i missed 7 week post-op any way here it is.

Hi!
Just got back from my orthopaedic surgeon in Jyväskylä and 7 weeks post-op my ADR is golden: no migration or subsidence or anything else and perfect positioning. But then again what should you expect from Dr. B.... When my Dr was looking at the x-ray films I could tell that he was well impressed, in fact he is planning on getting an ADR qualification some time soon. In general my recovery is well on the way apart from the freaking muscle pain! I was promised by my PT that it will disappear in 3 months as the muscles are rehabilitated. Advice: when you start your rehab make sure you start carefully over a period of time.
Is your getting distraction pain disappearing or are you still in the process of recovery?
Larry
facet block neg
3 surgeons later
Old 10-23-2006, 05:21 PM

well at almost 12 weeks larry is going to check if the prodisc can take a fall thank god hes ok.

You are not going to believe this. On friday I flew off my bicycle and as I was lying on the street my first thought was: I have llike soooooooo dislocated my polyethylene components. As I got up from the ground I had no trouble with my back but my knee was open and I went to the hospital next (downtown Rovaniemi) and it hurt like hell all weekend and still does a bit but my back was and is completely unaffected by the nice size fall. I can vouch for the quality of german handwork!!!
Larry
facet block neg
3 surgeons later
Old 10-24-2006, 02:58 AM

Well I would say this guy is out of his freakin' mind. I think he's nothing but lucky because he could have done some serious damage. But then again, who I am to speak for someone else!
Dale
Old 02-16-2007, 06:59 PM

Hello!

Things are going great and only getting better! the only pain I'm left with at the moment is this ludicrous pain in my hips (especially on the right side) due to the muscles de-cramping as a result of running back and forth from the gym and stretches. The doc said it's going to take another couple of months before it stops hurting. Also my right leg has regained the strength that it's supposed to have so the ankle doesn't hurt any more. Which is nice as we all know. Although I didn't make it to winter sport this year I look forward to making it to ski tracks and slopes (for snow boarding) next year. Ice climbing is something I might make it to this year. Put the products to the test time and again!! . Also my nuisance diet is kicking in and weight loss is nice and rapid! Due to all this I am actually busy these days, something I had completely forgotten about!

It was nice to hear that everyone is doing well and only getting better! In the light of the statistics I have to say this is all due to optimal choice of surgeon.

I hope that everyone keeps doing well and stay happy!!

With Very Best Regards

Larry
facet block neg
3 surgeons later
Old 02-16-2007, 10:15 PM
Administrator

Chuck... thanks for posting the update from Larry. Have him contact me... sounds like my kind of person.

Dale... many of us don't know better than to start testing the products very early. It used to drive my neighbors crazy when I was 2 months post-op riding my bike with 2 yellow labs on leash... or better yet... rollerblading around the neighborhood with both dogs on leash. (backwards was best)

All kidding aside, knowing what I know now, I would not do those things so early. Yes, there is too much at risk. However, once the healing is complete, I think that we all must make our own risk assessment, do what we will and live with the consequences. If you feel that skydiving or ice climbing is too much... then by all means don't do it. Learning a new sport that will involve a lot of trauma might not be the best of things for a post-op patient, but if you are already an expert skier or skydiver... you know what you are in for... you know how to manage the risks.... and again... you accept the consequences of your actions.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 02-16-2007, 11:41 PM

mark email me and ill forward it on to larry hes doing school in lapland finland.
chuck
facet block neg
3 surgeons later