Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Diane's recovery - Endoscopic Discectomy, July 2007 in the Main forums forums; Many of you have followed Diane's story... now in it's fifth month. The early story is posted in ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2007, 12:43 AM
Administrator

Default Diane's recovery - Endoscopic Discectomy, July 2007

Many of you have followed Diane's story... now in it's fifth month. The early story is posted in this thread: Extrusion from one level to another

I've just posted her patient story on the GPN website. I'm still working on the slideshow, but that will be done in a day or two.

At 6 weeks, she's doing great. Still some residual leg symptoms and weakness, but all very minor. She still protects her back and I'm glad that she does not have to return to work immediately... while endoscopic is minimally invasive... it's still spine surgery. She is improving weekly and sustains a relatively high activity level, but still is not up to heavy work or athletics.

More later. All the best,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 09-10-2007, 03:48 PM

Mark & Diane,

I'm so happy to read that she's doing well and wish her a continued and speedy recovery.

I assume you're home so welcome back,

My best to her, Dale
Old 09-10-2007, 10:21 PM

Default Great patient story

Hi Diane and Mark,
Really glad to hear that the outcome to date for Diane's surgery/recovery has gone so well ~ the trip to Europe sounds totally like a vacation to me, so much walking around and sightseeing!

I'm back here in San Diego for a bit and there's this awesome dog beach at Ocean Beach~ it's really great, was there yesterday with my step son's yellow lab (Edgar is sitting this dog indefinately). Leila is well trained, well behaved and so much fun to go on walks with ~ kind of so unlike my dog Lola who is mainly fluff and stuff~ (poorly behaved thanks to whom we might wonder?!)~

The dog walks "seemed" to be the biggest factor that got my spine in gear and then just walking and walking.. I'm sure there was much more to it over this past year tho I'm so happy I've been able to walk as much as I have.

I feel like I have "wings"! Hope you feel like you've got your wings back too Diane~ sounds like you feel pleased with the results to date ~ so glad for you! take good care! Maria
Old 09-11-2007, 12:47 AM

Mark,

I am glad to hear that Diane is doing well at this point. Yes, I agree in regards to endoscopic spine surgery STILL being spine surgery having been there myself at one point in time.

I hope that she continues to progress and finds an area in nursing that isn't as physically demanding of her.

Sincerely,
Poncho
Old 09-11-2007, 08:59 PM

Hi Mark,
What a great classic spine story, its great that Diane is doing so well , and I hope it continues
Best
Alastair
Old 02-08-2008, 10:18 PM

Sorry it’s been so long since my last post. One reason is that I still didn’t really consider myself a spine patient and I was trying or forget that I was one. I’m not really a computer person. Luckily, with Mark here, I didn’t have to research all my information on the internet. I had been making good progress since my discectomy at the end of July. I was walking the dog at the beach almost everyday. My left leg pain had almost disappeared and I was starting to think about going back to work. I was in physical therapy and my doctor had ordered a routine post-op MRI. By the time I went to my follow up appointment in November to discuss my MRI, my symptoms had changed. I had been getting steadily better through mid-October, but in late October, I started to get right hip and leg pain; the opposite side of my pre-op pain. The MRI did not look good and was distorted at L5-S1. The doctor‘s interpretation was that there was nerve impingement and that I need a decompression surgery. The MRI was pretty convincing and my new symptoms were explained. I was happy to find a reason and cure for my new symptoms. I scheduled my surgery for the following week. I felt kind of numb walking out of the office. Mark and I discussed the MRI on the way home. Why hadn’t the radiologist seen the nerve impingement and what was the artifact that was seen? Mark being his usual self had to understand everything and took it as a challenge. He sent e-mail to Dr. Hoogland and Zeegers and then decided to call the radiologist. I have to admit that I didn’t think he would be able to contact the radiologist or that he would even speak to him. I was amazed as I listened to half hour long conversation with the radiologist explaining what he saw. The artifact was a microscopic bit of metal, not uncommon in endoscopic surgery. The only way to prove the nerve impingement is with a CT myelogram. He definitely recommended a myelogram before surgery. Well Mark worked his magic again; he sent an e-mail to the doctor and explained his conversation with the radiologist. The doctor agreed to order a myelogram but wanted to keep me on the surgery schedule.

Our doctor was adamant that the myelogram had to be of the highest quality and he was not happy with the only imaging center that was available through my insurance. Mark called one of the preferred centers and negotiated a great ‘payment day of service’ price. A few days later, I had a CT myelogram and it proved that there was no recurrent disc herniation. There was no leftover fragment from the old herniation. There was no nerve impingement as had been explained. What had been seen was metal artifact distorting the MRI. Surgery was cancelled. What was clear was what we knew before the surgery. My L5-S1 was pretty thoroughly collapsed. Presumably, further collapse had occurred since the surgery, pushing the right side to the limit and starting my symptoms there.

I’ve been treading water since then. The doctor recommended further epidural injections, but I’m not too excited about more needles into my spine, especially knowing that the disc is pretty much gone. More injections may provide temporary relief, but will not improve the situation. My symptoms ebb and flow, sometimes making me believe that I’ll be able to get away without further surgery. Then, I’ll have a busy day with my grandchild or just do too many ‘normal’ activities and will have to pay for it with pain, numbness and inactivity. You know the story.

I’m glad that I was able to avoid having an unnecessary surgery, but I’m sorry to still be here.

Diane
Old 02-09-2008, 12:56 AM

Default Your recovery

Hey Diane,
Sorry you are here as well. One injured nurse to another, one woman to another and one spine patient to another. I hope you never attain my "badges of spinal honor" (huh?) or multi-level pains in the arse!

Wonder how many spine patients have undergone unnecessary surgery because they did not have someone such as Mark asking the right questions and pursuing the answers~ it's a scary proposition when one starts to think about it!

Glad you avoided an unnecessary surgery and as you may well know, I'm only to good at fence sitting so the only thing I can say is to do what you think will be your best bet to getting on with your life.

We each have to make that decision for ourselves. Thankfully I take it you've not gotten so bad as to start pain meds and all the like so maybe you can transition into a surgical date when you're prepared.

With Mark by your side and such wonderful surgical and other resources at your feet, I would hope you'll feel comfortable with your eventual decision whichever way you should go and when.

Good luck and thank you for the update. Maria
Old 02-09-2008, 01:41 AM

Diane:
Thank you for posting. It is indeed frustrating and worrisome when what you think is behind you pops up again. I am so glad you averted an unnecessary surgery but it looks like the future is uncertain.

In your relatively short career as a spiney, you have discovered two things which it has taken me years to find out and which I think are important for spineys to know. First, you can indeed talk to the radiologist and even ask the technician to ask the radiologist to address specific questions in his report! And second, the quality of imaging equipment does vary from facility to facility. I didn't know until my post-op appointment that my MRI's are of poor quality because the equipment was not the most up-to-date. More variables to deal with...

Please be well and I know that you and Mark will make the right decisions as needed.

Barbara
Old 02-09-2008, 05:12 PM

Diane,

To tell you how much we all understand your plight is an understatment. We don't have to walk a mile in your shoes, a single foot will do. Knowing that Mark is at your side must be comforting at this very confusing time in your life. The knowledge of spinal maladies and corrective surgeries or other measures are finally coming of age but are not quite there yet.

Unless your condtion or symptoms worsen you may find yourself on that Maria fence. My advise would be to stay there as long as necessary. Only you can decide when or if the time to move forward is right. Any spinal surgery alters your spine forever and though we all hope for the best, the sad truth is that it's not always achieved. However, again with Mark at your side, you will always know that you're in the best hands possible.

I hope your condition stabalizes enough that you can put off any more surgeries indefinitely, grandchildren notwithstanding. They were a huge part of my surgical decision.

All my best, Dale
Old 02-10-2008, 12:09 AM

Wishing you well Diane. - Allan
Old 02-10-2008, 08:25 PM

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Hope