Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Hybrid surgery finally authorized~ in the Main forums forums; Those of you who know me know that I've been hanging by a long dangling thread on WC's ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2006, 10:52 PM

Default Hybrid surgery finally authorized~

Those of you who know me know that I've been hanging by a long dangling thread on WC's spiked spool and fighting for authorization for a surgery that was authorized for me back in '03 and then offer rescinded in '05 when I finally made up my mind to have the surgery! Since that time, instead of 2 level ADR, a hybrid surgery has been recommended with fusion at L5S1 and ADR at L4. And finally, nearly 2 years later~ it's been authorized!!!!!!

How did this come about?? I'm certain it had to do with taking Mark w/me as a patient advocate to the WCAB assigned 2nd surgical opinion (they had already sent me to 2 surgeons plus my own recommending the same thing).

I truly believe had I gone to that appt. alone, I may have ended up as just another statistic even tho the surgeon seemed like a really decent guy, but with Mark there, much more time was spent in review of my films and just a sort of doctor to collegue bonding type of thing going on~

Things are still in the works tho as even tho the surgery was authed to go one place and have it done, I'm trying to get back to a different place where I've been seen twice before and would prefer to have surgery done there if I'm going to have it done in the US.

So anyway, at least the dang thing was approved vs. denied!!! Major achievement with new WC legislation in place here in CA!

Thanks Mark
Old 10-17-2006, 01:05 AM

Default Hooray!

What great news, Maria! You have worked so incredibly hard, and done so-o-o much research. It's good to see that sometimes those things do pay off. Good luck on getting the location you want.

I hope you'll tell everyone on ADRsupport the good news story too.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:15 AM

Great news! It must feel unreal that things are moving and decisions need to be made so quickly after years of dealing with pain and WC. Wishing you all the best!
Old 10-17-2006, 03:05 AM

Smile Re: Hybrid surgery finally authorized

Maria,

Congratulations, this is fabulous news!
I do have a question: Is this approval you have received
(1) the report of the 2nd Surgical Opinion indicating his approval of the procedure
or
(2) a letter from the WC insurance company indicating approval?

I am so happy for you and I can’t wait to hear what progress you will make next.
Take care and have a great night!

Andrea
Old 10-17-2006, 03:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to tisury

Congratulations Maria !!! You have fought long and hard for this. Who will be doing your surgery? Best wishes to you, and again, congratulations !!!!
Old 10-17-2006, 04:01 AM

Maria,

Well that's one for adr's. Mark, as always, you've come through again. Congrats to you both.

Dale
Old 10-17-2006, 06:01 AM

Default Yeah!!!

One thing you have proved here Maria is that persistence pays off!

I hope to see you on the other side of this soon.

TTYL,
Poncho
Old 10-17-2006, 09:49 AM

Good luck at Maria,
it's been many years since you've been struggling for this
best,
Alastair
Old 10-17-2006, 10:17 AM

great news maria you have waited a long time for this.
so whens the big day?
wishing you all the best.
chuck
facet block neg
lost all appeals BCBS 5 months of that
3 surgeons later
surgery with dr. bertagnoli aug 2nd 2006 in Bogen Germany Successfully ProDisc-L L-4 L-5
Old 10-17-2006, 01:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to Eddie G

Great news! (for all ADR peeps!) The more approvals the merrier!
Good for you, and for everyone following you, trying to get approved.

Like I've said before, the trick is to refuse the fusion happy surgeons in your insurance co. (That includes the I.M.E.)

I only regret that NYU won't allow a patient advocate into the O.R. so I just asked that Dr. Goldstein follow up with me the next day and not someone who has no clue what happened to me in the O.R. (like my last surgery)
It really sux waking up alone with no answers.
I'll find my answers in the bottom of my morphine drip! (hiccup)

I'm not allowed to have my XM satellite radio but I can have my Minidisc. I'm making my 45 hour tape right now of funny stuff to keep me happy between drips.

Congratulations!
Epidurals and facet injections
5/15/06 Discogram confirmed L4-L5 DDD also an asymptomatic L5-S1 tear
10/24/06 L4-L5 Prodisc surgery with Dr. Goldstein
CAT scans & X-Rays show ossification
Trigger Point Injections, Medial Branch Blocks, Acupuncture, Weekly Deep Tissue Massage
10/27/08 Discogram (positive L5-S1)
11/25/08 L5-S1 fusion with Dr. Goldstein
FAILED BACK SYNDROME
Liberty Mutual WC
Old 10-17-2006, 04:45 PM

Hi Maria,

What terrific news after the long wait you have endured! I pray that this surgery will be a success. Keep us posted as to your decision on when and where. I think of you often and pray that God will relieve you of your back pain. I do know that after the incredible wait you have gone through it seemed like it would never happen. With Mark attending your meeting with WC to share his awesome knowledge is a blessing and what a testimony that Mark is here to help those of us in such need for answers to the complex and frustrating world of spinal medicine!

Thank you Mark for your continued committment to helping those folks in such need. Maria do keep us in touch as this was the best news to hit this new forum and our community in a while! I am so glad for you what a relief but now the next step, always the next step, keep on heading forward and keep God in the equation!

God Bless you,

Willie Beeson
Mrbee
"Post five surgeries, pain free, no drugs and all the glory to God" A life restored!
Old 10-18-2006, 01:58 AM

Talking Woooohoooow

Maria,

What great news I am so happy for you. I don't know anyone that deserves to be on the operating table more then you. I hope that on my next visit to LA we can get together and celebrate your new back.

God Bless and keep me posted
T-12 Compression Fracture 10/04
C-7 Spines Process Fracture 5/99