Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss My Dynesys experience, August 2007, USA in the Main forums forums; I had dynesys surgery in August of 2007 after already having 2 laminectomy surgeries and endless pain injections - this was ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-25-2007, 12:40 AM

Default My Dynesys experience, August 2007, USA

I had dynesys surgery in August of 2007 after already having 2 laminectomy surgeries and endless pain injections - this was all after several Olympics of chiropractic "help," exercise, and pain meds to many to name!

My lower back pain is inherited from quite literally both sides of my family but I believe the brunt came from my father who also had a horrible time with lower back pain - he was quite a trooper though and rarely did anything but try his best to ignore it...and he drank a lot so meds were out of the question although I think the booze helped at night anyway.

I have dealt with back pain since I was 12 years old - it was always attributed to not enough exercise, and accident of some kind, etc - it seemed less than important I suppose as most 12 year old boys are not already suffering from degenerative disc disease. My pediatrician finally had xrays done for me when I was 15 and when my mother had them explained to her I remember the doctor asking (this is true, I swear it!!!) if she was looking at the images of approximately an 80 year old man. The docs could not believe the problems I was already having. However with exercise, some chiro and occasional meds I was fairly good to go for a while. I even joined the Marine Corps and had zero trouble while I was in...I assume that was mostly due to my physical fitness though - because about 2 years after I got out it all came back to life in a HUGE way.

I was "throwing" my back out twice a month for a couple years. A strong sneeze, tying my shoes, even brushing my teeth a few times...I was totally screwed. After seeing a chiro again for nearly a decade I was done with the instant gratification of cracking my back and moved onto a surgeon at my GP's recommendation. No ortho - straight to neuro-surgeon.

I had my first laminectomy in 2002...immediate leg and foot relief - even my lower back felt better. The next time I went haywire was 2005 and I put the surgery off as long as I could. My feet were almost constantly on fire, my legs constantly ached and I could barely walk, bend, tie my shoes - everything was painful. I couldn't even ride a bike or throw a baseball with my sons. The 2nd surgery was just as "refreshing" but only lasted about 5 months before the pain returned in spades. I was now walking with a cane, feet back on fire, etc - all the typical symptoms. It was then that the surgeon and I started talking about alternate solutions.

I was nowhere near a candidate for the fake discs - my age (34) and bone deterioration were main factors. It was then that we started talking about fusion but I was very hesitant. I hated the thought of being 34 years old, unable to tie my shoes because I could no longer bend at the waist. This was to happen at L2/L3, L3/L4, L4/L5. Three levels was terrifying to me even considering the pain. I just wasn't ready to bury what limited capacities I had at 34 years old. Then he said Dynesys: flexible stabilizers that would allow motion but prevent future compression on the discs so, vioala...no more herniations.

After the 7 hour surgery that was supposed to be 2 or 3 hours I was in the hospital for 5 days which was originally supposed to be 2 or 3 as well. They could control the pain. I was on the dilauted IV with my own button to activate additional meds. After the laminectomies, the dilauted was PERFECT. No pain while in the hospital. This time, it wasn't even scratching the surface. My surgeon finally ordered valium again for muscle relaxing, 40mg oxycodone and morphine shots every couple hours. It was barely enough to keep me comfortable at all but I stopped even saying anything because of the amount I was getting. I thought I wouldn't be able to feel certain pain that might be important. Anyway, on the 5th day they sent me home with a script for the 40mg of oxy and a script for 200mcg of oral fentanyl, which as I mentioned before is typically for cancer patients. I RARELY used the fentanyl (looks like a lollipop but you aren't allowed to chew it) and the script was for 30 of them. To this day I still have over half left.

Now, my extremities are fine and all my normal activities have resumed. I was supposed to be out of work for 6 to 8 weeks but I went back in 3. I am usually at a desk in my chair but have plenty of time to walk around when I need to as well. Plus, not to toot my own horn but I am the boss too...so I could always go home and lay down if I needed to. At first everything seemed to be moving OK and I really thought that after the recommended recovery period I'd feel even better. That is not the case:

Again - as I said before - my legs and feet are better. Zero pain. But my lower back is really bad again. It seems almost as if I am not in constant, upright motion I'm in as much pain in my lower back as I ever was. It sucks! I have now gone back to my GP and updated him on everything. He was getting all the files from my surgeon so we can see what's next if anything. While I'm no doctor, my guess is it's all the deterioration there and probably the beginnings (or further induction) of arthritis. I hope not but who knows...hopefully I'll get some answers soon enough.

I wish you all the best in your search for pain relief. Please feel free to ask me questions about my procedure - I'll answer as best I can. I can be reached via email as well if preferred. All my best to you...and good luck!

Dennis