Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Observation in the Main forums forums; I love observing people and surmising patterns... a personality kwirk. I've been emailing another ADR recipient in England and ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2008, 05:45 PM

Lightbulb Observation

I love observing people and surmising patterns... a personality kwirk. I've been emailing another ADR recipient in England and though our circumstances were different, the outcome is similar. I would enjoy hearing from others how your own experience was similar or different.

If you would indulge me. I had a 3 level, S1-L3 Prodisc with Dr. B, just about 1 month after my friend who had a single level with Dr. Z. During my surgery the nerve root to my left leg was 'irritated' resulting in extreme nerve damage. Though improved, my back was still limiting and the nerve damage to leg created another disability. My friend experienced no surgical complications but realized little relief from the surgery to the point that she wondered if she really needed it in the first place.

Our one year anniversaries came and went with little fanfare, both of us still suffering with pain and severe limitations in sitting and walking. We had both started physical therapy which helped but...

Then, as your two year anniversary approached, we both started to see marked improvement. Our lives began to resume, though still with limitations, some previous passions. However different, our healing seems parallel.

From the various posts I've read, a pattern has developed. For those who experience an uncomplicated surgery and rapidly find their sought after pain relief, they seem to be back to their lives, (with or without new limitations) within one years time. This is not to say they don't continue to improve after that point but one year or less seems to be their 'healed' point. For those who do experience problems early on or find no relief from their pre-surgical pain, slowly find the relief they seek at about the two year mark. In both cases, it is assumed that the ADRs did indeed fix whatever was wrong in the first place and there are no secondary problems. Unfortunately, some experience no relief and are not able to resume any part of their previous lives and need other corrective surgeries/procedures.

So, where do any of you fit into this observation? I'm sure others who are hoping for their miracle or who haven't yet achieved it will be interested in any developing pattern... or not.

Dale

Last edited by dshobbies; 01-17-2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:23 PM

6 months later...(surgery Aug 14 2007)

I fall into the "My friend experienced no surgical complications but realized little relief from the surgery to the point that she wondered if she really needed it in the first place. ' area.

I had made a list prior to surgery of my complaints and problems. Only one of them have I been able to check off.
When I wake up my back...the spine it self is not stiff, I can shave looking at the mirror, and not bent over looking at the sink.
My calves and hips may be sore but the centre, the back is fine..just need those nerve ending to get quiet.

I wait....
Old 01-23-2008, 01:55 AM

I have the nerve thing as well but am only 2.5 month out from surgery. Still lots of problems with my feet and leg pain building up in my left leg after exercise. Before surgery my foot problems were more but no problem with leg pain in my left leg. Driving is much better but I am still limited in my time on the gas pedal. Still no clutch, exept the slick BMW kind and no sitting in traffic.

I too can cross off one item of my list, no more stiffness in my lower back. It feels like a nicely lubricated ball joint, maybe it moves to good and that gets me in trouble. I still need to relearn how to walk straight rather then hunched over and if I arch backwards to much it hurts pretty good down there.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:22 AM
Administrator

It's tough for me to watch some of the cases with less than stellar recoveries. Dale has always called her surgery a success at relieving the back pain, but the leg pain was no small problem. In spite of her positive outlook and the cheery nature, the leg pain was still a serious problem. I'm so happy for her that now, even more than 2 years out... she's finding greater and greater relief. Hopefully the trend will continue.

This is such a great post as it gives the folks in similar situations some hope that things can improve substantially, even after a couple of years. Hopefully it won't make people worry that they'll be stuck for 2 years... I've seen great turn arounds for people with slow recoveries at 8, 10, 12 months... even more. But however long it takes, the body is amazing and you can still get better.

Rob... I hope to hear about more improvement. Based on what you say, it seems that you have realized substantial improvement. Is it so little improvement that you don't yet think the surgical ordeal was worth it? I hope to hear about more improvement. In the cases where some pains were improved or resolved while others remain, I wonder about further diagnosis... other levels??? other problems?

Fuzzy... Hopefully the surgery induced L leg pain will subside with time... 10 weeks out is still pretty early.

All the best...

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org