Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Pain that burns? in the Main forums forums; I'm not new to backpain but I'm new to cervical pain. For the first time last night I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2008, 09:47 PM

Default Pain that burns?

I'm not new to backpain but I'm new to cervical pain. For the first time last night I would describe the pain down the back of my neck as burning. Until that I would've described it as bone pain just like in my low back.

I had an MRI this morning and meet with the doctor next Thursday for the results so I suppose I'll find out more than.

I just figured I'd see what ya'll out there know about burning pain.

Cheryl
2 level Prodisc ADR L4-S1, Feb. 18, 2008 Dr. Bertagnoli - Straubing, Germany - SUCCESS -

Now I struggle with Neck Pain likely c5-7
PT, injections, rhizotomy.......MRI and CT Myleo not consistent with pain symptoms, waiting that out, keeping my passport valid
Old 05-20-2008, 10:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to Lil E
Default Your pain...

is likely nerve pain. It can be from a feeling like ants are walking on you to the burn type. There are two meds for this, one is Neurontin , which I have not heard good things about or Lyrica which I use at 25mg the lowest dose. Some people have no problem, others do. Most docs start out with too high a dose, it needs to be titrated, slowly increased.

Methadone also works well for nerve pain if you can take it.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:09 PM

Default re burning pain

I've long had personal experience with burning pain. It used to be just in the lumbar area where my disc bulges were/are and after a failed surgery it became something that was all down my lower extremities (from about waist down) and lasted 5 miserable years.

The meds I take are what were mentioned already. Methadone and Neurontin. The Neurontin was prescribed for the burning pain and then Methadone added on for pain relief and it did seem to help relieve the residual burning pain I had that the Neurontin didn't cover.

My neck however does have some burning pain that isn't relieved with these meds. Sometimes it has just felt like this rotten burning pain that aggravated muslces have but I have been told I have a disc bulge and DDD in the cervical area as well so I don't doubt I have disc related symptoms from time to time such as burning pain.

My neck has only gone out about 4 times but the last time I could only move my eyeballs to look downward, not my neck at all in any direction without severe pain and severely limited range of motion. After several weeks of my neck not getting significantly better and at the urging of people on this forum, I went to the Urgent Care center nearby. A shot of Toradol was given and I was referred to see my OSS for follow up. The injection of Toradol helped the spasms out so much that much of the pain went away nearly immediately.

The same thing happened the last time my back went out and I couldn't move in any direction even a little without screaming ~ several days later a shot of Toradol released the muscle spasms and I was Ok. No doubt the affected lumbar disc had been aggravated and the spasms were in response to this but still, the toradol was a massive help.

Also what has been helpful for my lumbar symptoms have been ESIs. (Epidural steroid injections). I don't know if I can say the same for my cervical area since I've not really had them recommended/performed for this area.

Hopefully when you get your results from the testing you'll know what's next (meds, surgery, injections, etc). Maybe a combo of some fairly non invasive things to start off with if your cervical picture isn't too bad (surgery not recommended/necessary). Good luck ~

Last edited by Maria; 05-22-2008 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:12 AM

Default I am going to lose it

Well, I had a cervical MRI on Tuesday and we met with the doctor for the results today. I'm not sure what I expected or wanted to hear but MORE PHYSICAL THERAPY was not it.

I have a small bulge at c5-c6. He thinks that is typical for my age and is not the cause of my neck pain. Another reason he doesn't think its this bulge is the fact that it is on the right and my numbness, tingling is on the left. Of course, I can remember the first results of my lumbar MRI and the doctors saying that degeneration at my age is normal. Well that pain was not normal among anyone else my age that I know. So, although I want to believe that I think the jury is still out.

So, he insists that I now see his highly experienced PT for more aggressive treatement. He says this therapist will know in a few weeks if he can fix me. I'm aggravated because I've gone to another PT for several weeks now with no relief and just wish that the doctor had started me with this one to begin with. Now, my kids are out of preschool so I have to hire a sitter and drive to downtown to go to these appointments.

He prescribed Arthrotec and said I should know in a week if that is working.

My husband came with me to the appointment. He's normally quiet but this time he explained how this is affecting (ruining) our lives. He's had to stay home from work because I can't take care of the kids. My mom is searching for plane tickets to take the girls up North with her for a long stay to give me relief. We told him I'm crying in pain every night but the doctor just says that its going to take "a lot longer than I would like" to get better.

I can't say much except that this really sucks.
2 level Prodisc ADR L4-S1, Feb. 18, 2008 Dr. Bertagnoli - Straubing, Germany - SUCCESS -

PT, injections, rhizotomy.......MRI and CT Myleo not consistent with pain symptoms, waiting that out, keeping my passport valid
Old 05-23-2008, 04:02 AM
Administrator

The MRI is a static image of your neck while you lie in a neutral position. Do your flexion/extension films show any instability?
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 05-23-2008, 09:18 AM

Default Cheryl

What you need is a new doctor. #1 he doesn't listen to you, #2 he is not paying attention to your MRI, #3 he obviously doesn't believe in treating his patients pain. Three strikes you're out. A small bulge can cause a lot of pain even if he says it doesn't. Aggressive PT could make things worse. I'd run if I were you, he sounds like bad news.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:14 PM

Default Hey Cheryl

First off, your right...that sucks!

Unfortunately (Or fortunately if it works), PT would be the natural progression in the process...as much as that does not sound appetizing right now, given all that you have been through and all your going through.

The reality is that many people have MRI's that look like yours, and function completely normally. Wouldn't you be more concerned if he said "looks fairly normal..let's cut". In NO way am I diminishing what your going through or implying that you are not experiencing it fully, but things have to be ruled out to narrow down the possible causes. I would not be so fast to find another doctor (unless you feel the current one is incompetent), but I would want to agree upon a systematic plan (that makes sense to EVERYONE) to find out what the real issues are. I noticed Mark's question regarding the flexion/extension...have you had those done?

Hang in there Chery!

The Bionic Man - "We'll make him better than he was before...Better, Stronger, Faster"...well not quite but you get the idea

Last edited by Firerescuefin; 05-23-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:18 PM

Mark - when you say flexion/extention films do you mean xrays? I think he only took them erect or at least thats all I have a copy of. (I sent them to you on email a while ago).

Lil E- I agree that we are not at all happy with his response but because I had my surgery overseas I am "lucky" to have a doctor here treating me. When we met him the first time we really liked him and thought he was compassionate so I am trying not to get down on him because I am in pain. I just don't have many options right now.

Today I have my little girls graduation at school then a dance recital and I am already in pain just getting them breakfast. It's a struggle just to think about getting them ready for all this.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:10 PM

Cheryl,

I agree with Lil, it's time for another opinion. No doctor should diminish your complaints by claiming life altering pain is age related. I'm no expert but age related pain is a gradual process. He also shouldn't order PT without knowing where the pain is coming from. It may be contra-indicated and could do more harm than good.

Hope your mom can take care of the kids for awhile. Without that wonderful but exhausting duty, you can take care of yourself.

All my best, Dale
Old 05-24-2008, 02:01 AM

I don't have a lot of other options for local doctors - I blew through all of them prior to surgery so I've got to be a good patient.

My point is that I have been going 2-3 X's a week for therapy already at this doctors request with no relief. I have doubts that any one therapist (even if he is the best therapist in town) is going to make any more of a difference on someone with such a bad spinal history.

I really want to get moving on any other diagnostics. I think I just need to understand more of what I need and press him for those tests. But now I don't even have it left in me to make calls, ask for reports, get appts etc.

I had to call my husband home from work today because I couldn't take care of my kids. I had to call my girlfriend in to come fix my girls up for their dance recital because I couldn't do it myself. It took everything I had to go to the recital with a smile on my face.

Old 05-24-2008, 03:17 AM

Default Please

Cheryl,
Don't let anyone tell you you're "lucky" to get medical care. You're paying for it and you have the right to be treated. Try www.spine-dr.com, they may be able to help you find a better doctor. You will probably have to go out of your immediate area but it will most likely be worth it. Leaving pain untreated can cause a host of other problems.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:49 PM

Default doc's visit

Cheryl,
Last year when my OSS told me my cervical picture was normal for my age I was wondering if I was supposed to be living with headaches so frequently, neck pain so often, and just generally feeling like I couldn't do crap because I had to either watch out for my neck or my back or both...

This past fall when my neck went out and it really went out I was so limited for weeks! Couldn't even think of walking the dogs and heaven forbid taking care of small children would have demolished me completely!

Just last week my neck was once again hurting because of the dog walking and pulling on leashes and I had to stop walking the dogs, leave it to my husband and/or friends and *that* drives me nutz.

I don't live with the dogs (or hub) at present and as soon as I returned home, didn't have anything to do with dog walking, I was fine. Just needed to stop activity that creates spasms I guess in that instance.

As a mother of young children that isn't possible so I can fully understand your dynamics .. in fact really I didn't have kids due to degree of probs I had with my low back most of childbearing years.. but really that's not the best option I'd recommend to anyone else.

I'm sure if you could have a full time nanny you would so won't recommend that one.

I hope you'll be able to see someone else and get another opinion or at least ask this doctor to do some flexion extension xrays.

take care of yourself as best you are able given your circumstances which sounds like it's going to be tough~
Old 05-25-2008, 06:43 PM

Send a message via ICQ to B13s

Arthrotec is basically the same as Voltaren (diclofenac) - at least for me it didn't help much with burning, even opposite - if I take for a couple of weeks - burning increases. I also had no luck with neither Neurontin nor Lyrica. I'm on Amitriptylin now, which seems to help a bit, but not a lot. What helps me as well is simple Paracetamol, however 2x500mg last only for 2-3 hours. Overall it looks like I'm heading for a second surgery - have date in fact already, but still cannot decide if I go for it or not...