Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Cervical limitations in the Main forums forums; I've been having difficulty now with my neck as well as my low back for a few years and ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2008, 12:14 PM

Default Cervical limitations

I've been having difficulty now with my neck as well as my low back for a few years and following it with MRI's where the OSS says it's all normal for my age but yesterday when I got my hair highlighted (I'm lucky I could sit thru this) when washing out the color I couldn't lift my head out of the sink and the hairdresser had to lift it for me!

This is not the first time I've had difficulty with this as the cervical extension seems to be so exaggerated with these sinks at beauty salons and last time I had to put my hand behind my neck because I could hardly tolerate this position...

I know my OSS won't give a good toot about this complaint tho I'm sure there are plenty of women here (if you get your hair colored professionaly) that might have this complaint.

Fortunately for me, the transforminal ESI I got nearly 2 months ago has allowed me to sit thru 2 hair sessions of 2 hours plus...
Old 06-17-2008, 02:09 PM

Maria:
I am sorry you are experiencing this difficulty with the salon sink--it is a difficulty I know well. Fortunately, it is no longer an issue for me since my ADR surgery. But prior to surgery, my hair stylist purchased a special cushioning device for the head piece of the sink and that helped although it did create some problems thoroughly rinsing.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Administrator

I thought those ladies carrying pillows looked a bit too old for lamaze classes.

Sorry about your neck Maria. Sadly, it seems that most of us with lumbar problems will also have cervical problems too.

Mark

PS... I'll stay away from those sinks!
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 06-17-2008, 11:15 PM

So sorry Maria about the cervical stuff and the the getting stuck in the bowl. I can relate so well. Lucky for me I am a firey redhead and no coloring needed. I do have to pass on the shampoo now a days when I go for a cut and style.

So Mark...why is it that people with lumbar problems seem to end up with cervical problems? I am having thoracic, cervical, and the usual lumbar problems. I'm just all tweaked in my spine...oh but then again...maybe it's in my head!!!
Old 06-18-2008, 12:17 AM
Administrator

Betsy, I think that whatever happened to your lumbar spine happened to all of your spine. Whether it's a genetic predisposition, activities, injuries... whatever it is... it doesn't just impact a disc or two.

Or maybe it's all in our head...

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 06-18-2008, 02:47 AM

Default growing pains

nah, growing old pains..
Old 06-18-2008, 01:36 PM

Default re neck support

I've found I have to sleep w/horseshoe type of pillow now, and yes, it helps if the hairdresser has that little pillow/cushion underneath one's neck altho most I've been to don't have this. Use of a towel rolled up helps but still isn't quite enough. I think this position with head back and neck in full extension is just getting out of the question for me~

There is much more going on but to sum it up, emotional tension and actual physical extraneous ROM w/cervical spine aren't a good combo. Hoping I last 'til I get back to CA. and if not, I have my own Toradol injectable I can give myself if I can get over sticking myself IM (intramuscular).
Old 06-18-2008, 07:20 PM

I'm getting my haircut tomorrow and fortunately, do not have cervical problems, at least not yet... however, when leaning back that far, I find too much pressure on my back and pull myself up.

Betsy, as one redhead to another, trust me, no bottle can match your true color. You must be too young to have discovered that yet. When you're there, call me, I have some suggestions!

Dale
Old 06-18-2008, 11:46 PM

LOL....you guys are just too funny!
Lets see yep Mark I am sure it's in my head cuz I know I am crazy to keep paying Dr"s to tell me it's all in my head!
Maria....a bit of old age kicking in too...lost my car in a parking lot the other day and was very surprised to find it right in front of me! Could be sometimers!
Dale...my red is fading but the personality isn't. I tried to dye it redder but it just washed out so I gave up. I have only had a few gray hairs...pulled them out quick...haven't seen them multiply yet but I am keeping an eye on them!
Any suggestions for keeping the red?
Old 06-19-2008, 03:17 AM

One word, Henna! They used to only be red but now come in all colors. They brighten your hair... but if you don't get a good color match or choose something ridiculous, that's what it will look like... available at a beauty supply. I use it over my color to get a more natural look because something out of a bottle looks artificial (might be OK if you're not a natural ). It gradually washes out but is actually good for your hair so you can use it as often as you want. I use Hennaluscent.

Watch those grays. They attack when you least expect them

For those of you who aren't 'naturals', it comes in all colors and brightens all hair. Also gets those hard to cover grays when used right after coloring. My sister-in-law uses burgundy over her black hair for just a hint or glow of highlight. It shimmers in the sun.