Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss c5/c6 prodisc-c in the Main forums forums; My whole story is here in my livejournal Cervical Disc Replacement Surgery SURGERY DATE: 11/18/08 AGE AT SURGERY ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2009, 03:23 AM

Default c5/c6 prodisc-c

My whole story is here in my livejournal Cervical Disc Replacement Surgery

SURGERY DATE: 11/18/08

AGE AT SURGERY DATE:34

SURGEON: David Raskas

SURGERY LOCATION/CLINIC: Frontenac Spine Care and Surgery Center, St. Louis, MO

DEVICE(s), LEVEL(s): Prodisc-c, 1 level, c5/6

COST =
AMOUNT BILLED: ~$49,000
INSURANCE ALLOWED:~$18,000
OUT OF POCKET: ~$350.00
TRAVEL: none
EXPLANATIONS?

ONSET OF LUMBAR PROBLEMS, DATE OF INJURY, CAUSE, ETC...: 1988:sprained neck roller skating
1989:dislocated neck in a freak accident
1993:MVA
1995:diagnosed with bulging disc C5/6
2000:disk herniated

PRIOR SPINE SURGERIES AND PROCEDURES (IDET, ESI, etc...): 2000-2004:multiple treatments including nerve root block, trigger point injections, epidural steroid injections, pt
2005-2008: pain meds and muscle relaxers only

PRE-OP MEDICATIONS:non

PRE-OP DIAGNOSTICS (discogram, nerve root blocks, etc...): many

PRE-OP NEUROPATHIES (what, where, & degree of pain, numbness, tingling, sexual/bladder/bowel symptoms, etc.): right arm numbness and tingling, down outside to two outside fngers, pain ranging from 1-7, buurning muscles, headaches...

PRE-OP CONDITION (Please include %leg pain/% back pain, pain levels, type of pain, ability to work and function, disability status, etc.... be direct, but be as verbose as you need to): not able to lift, work over my head, no yard work, couldn't even carry my camera around my neck

TIME POST-OP AT ORIGINAL POST HERE: 3 months

DESCRIBE YOUR SURGICAL EXPERIENCE: see journal
2000-2004:multiple treatments including nerve root block, trigger point injections, epidural steroid injections, pt
ProDisc-C replacement on c5/c6 11/18/08

Last edited by kmevans; 02-14-2009 at 03:41 AM.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:42 AM

I am currently having a problem for a week or so with pain high bewteen my shoulder blades, does anyone else have this issue?
2000-2004:multiple treatments including nerve root block, trigger point injections, epidural steroid injections, pt
Old 03-21-2009, 02:07 PM

Default Reply

I am 3 weeks post off from a C 4/5,C5/6,C6/7 and for the first time at 3 weeks post op, I am feeling pain between the shoulder blades also, about h where the discs went in. Prior to this, the only pain I had was trap/neck/shoulder pain
Old 03-22-2009, 04:19 AM

well, i finally got my pain to go away, it was a matter of finding the right way to sleep. I have never slept on my side til after my surgery, I guess I didnt know what I was doing, I was sleeping with my arm/shoulder directly under me, it was putting pressure on my shoulder blades and spine in that area, now I put my arm up and out and don't have this issue anymore.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:47 PM

Sometimes the simplest solution elude us. Glad you found what works for you!
Old 04-21-2009, 05:22 PM

Hi everyone, sorry I haven't posted in awhile, things have been quite hectic in my life past few months. Since the beginning of the year I have traveled almost every weekend for work, then I got sick, very sick-pneumonia, I was sick for over a month. Now I am feeling better and thought I'd update everyone on my progress.

Sleep: I've pretty much conquered my sleep issues, I found a comfortable position on my side, we still need a new bed, but I am not awake half the night in pain anymore. Some nights when my metal clanks together it still disturbs me (mentally more than physically).

Pain: most days no pain at all. Sometimes when it rains for a day or more I get an ache deep in my neck, haven't taken any pain meds in 2 months

Numbness: 90% gone. Sometimes if I sleep a little weird, or stretch weird, or move bookcases full of books i get a bit of numbness in my right hand/arm but it usually lasts a couple hours max

Dizzy spells: completely gone as far as I can tell *knock wood*

Incision/Scar: not as faded as I would like, but acceptable.

(here are all of the incision photos Picasa Web Albums - Kristi - surgery incision)

Range of Motion: good. I have pain at the extremes side to side and up and down, but find I don't encounter those extremes too much on a regular basis

Doctor update: Went for my 3 month first week in March and he gave me the "all clear" to resume all normal activities and start trying to strengthen my shoulder/neck muscles via weight training/exercise if I want. I have my 6 month the first week in June, though it will really be almost 7 months. Here is a picture of my Xray.

Bottomline: I'm glad I did it.