Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss KathyEarhart; Active L; L4/5; March 2009 in the Main forums forums; SURGERY DATE: March 17, 2009 AGE AT SURGERY DATE: 29 years SURGEON: Dr. Rolando Garcia SURGERY LOCATION/CLINIC: Aventura Hospital, ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2009, 11:50 PM

Default KathyEarhart; Active L; L4/5; March 2009

SURGERY DATE: March 17, 2009

AGE AT SURGERY DATE: 29 years

SURGEON: Dr. Rolando Garcia

SURGERY LOCATION/CLINIC: Aventura Hospital, Aventura, Florida (north of Miami)

DEVICE(s), LEVEL(s): Active L, L4/5

COST = $0; clinical trial, travel costs only
AMOUNT BILLED: $0
INSURANCE ALLOWED: N/A
OUT OF POCKET: $0
TRAVEL: 7k total; 2k for first appt trip and 5k for second trip for surgery
EXPLANATIONS? Paid hotel, flights, flights for friends to care for me, rental car and food.

ONSET OF LUMBAR PROBLEMS: January 12, 2006, in a MVA with an 18 wheeler, neck and mid-back pain, head on collision July 2006, entire spine hurts.

PRIOR SPINE SURGERIES AND PROCEDURES: IDET on L4/5 Oct. 06, mid=back and neck pain stop, lower back pain continues. Epidural and Facet Injections, Bi-Lateral 3 level Neurotomy June 08, chiropractic, accupuncture, physical therapy, and any and everything else imaginable (I honestly can not remember everything)

PRE-OP MEDICATIONS: Kadian (morphine) 20 mg 2x daily; Vicodin 10/325 4-6x daily; Lyrica 75mg 2x daily; Cymbalta 60mg 2x daily; Zanaflex 3mg 1-2 nightly for sleep

PRE-OP DIAGNOSTICS: Discogram Sept 06 and Sept 08 both confirmed L4/5 pain; Facet Injections May 08 and numerous prior ones and Neurotomy June 08

PRE-OP NEUROPATHIES: Pain in lower back at L4/5 level, in the middle of the back (as in middle from side to side); hip and leg pain only when the pain was out of control, pain without meds 10 of 10, with meds 3-5 out of 10

PRE-OP CONDITION: 99% low back pain; burning, stabbing, constant, sharp pain (felt like I had a stick stuck up my spine); functioned moderately with lots of meds; without meds- laid on couch and wanted to die; fighting for disability, denied twice, waiting on hearing in front of judge

TIME POST-OP AT ORIGINAL POST HERE: 1 week 4 days

DESCRIBE YOUR SURGICAL EXPERIENCE: Surgery was great, first 2 nurses afterward were horrible. Had I known the pain that I would be in for the first 2 days afterward, I probably would have chickened out. Disclaimer: I am extremely tolerant to pain medication and anesthia, doctor said that to get me to go under it was similar to taking out a horse (guess they should have a vet dr instead of a people one), nurse would not give me all the medication ordered (she would only give the morphine shots and not the oxy). The medication ordered was morphine every 3 hours, oxy every 4 hours, phenegran every 4 hours if needed for nausea and ativan every 6 hours if needed (I had to beg for just the morphine alone; didn't even know for 2 days that I could get the other stuff). The nurse refused to take my catheter out until day 2, the dr came in and was pissed about this (I am pretty sure this nurse was fired over how she treated me; not only did the dr. complain; but I did too). The dr. was great, he was very informative and caring; had it not been for 2 bad nurses, my hospital experience would have been much better. Needless to say, I was thrilled to leave the hospital on day 3.

RATE FUNCTIONALITY / SATISFACTION AT INTERVALS BELOW:

FUNCTIONALITY:
1. Very poor: much worse... disabled after surgery.
2. Poor: worse after surgery.
3. Neutral: No improvement, or improvements offset by new problems.
4. Fair, some improvement, limitations are still serious.
5. Good, substantial improvement, some limitations.
6. Excellent: no limitations.

SATISFACTION:
1. Very sorry I had the surgery.
2. Somewhat sorry I had the surgery.
3. Too soon to tell, or I'm ambivalent about the surgery.
4. I'm somewhat glad I did my surgery.
5. I'm very glad I did my surgery.

Don't forget the detail update section below!

DATE UPDATED: March 28, 2009 FUNCTIONALITY: 4_ SATISFACTION: 5 [almost 2 WEEKS POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: September 2, 2009 FUNCTIONALITY: _5 SATISFACTION: _5_ [6 MONTHS POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: September 19, 2010 FUNCTIONALITY: 5 SATISFACTION: 5 [1.5 YEAR POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: _________ FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [2 YEARS POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: _________ FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [3 YEARS POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: _________ FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [4 YEARS POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: _________ FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [5 YEARS POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: _________ FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [6 YEARS POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: _________ FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [7 YEARS POST-OP]

6 WEEKS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ECT... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

3 MONTHS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

6 MONTHS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

1 YEAR POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

2 YEARS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

3 YEARS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

4 YEARS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

5 YEARS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

6 YEARS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

7 YEARS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!

Last edited by Kathy; 09-20-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:58 PM

I am so extremely thrilled to get to be on this side of surgery! I thought this day would never come. Lots of persistence and research finally paid off. For anyone still in the before surgery process, don't give up. it took me almost 3 years to finally find out exactly what was wrong with me. It then was another 5 months of fighting insurance and being denied. Signing up for a clinical trial and being disqualified due to prior spinal litigation. I finally found a clinical trial that I wanted to be in, found the best dr (thanks to the great people on here), was accepted into the trial and got a surgery date. I truly believe that everything happens for a reason and it was God's plan for me to end up exactly where I did for surgery, with my surgeon and with the Active L disc.

Mark-would you move my two post-op threads in the main forum and attach them to this?
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 03-29-2009, 01:21 AM

Kathy:

I love your picture. You've got a beautiful family. I can only hope and pray that you continue to heal, and recover, from all that you have been through and, that you get your life back. You've been through an amazing amount of stuff that would make most people quit and give up. You're an amazing example of the resiliency of the human spirit and perseverance. You've come along way since the other site and the initial postings.

Keep up the great recovery.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5

Last edited by Terry Allen Blackburn; 03-29-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:41 AM
Administrator

Lightbulb

Kathy, if I try to merge the other threads into this one, the conversations will be all mixed up and will be difficult to follow. I'd recommend that we leave them where they are and link them to this thread. Might edit the top post and put them on top. If you just past the url for the thread into a post, it'll get translated into the thread title... like this:

4 Days till Surgery!

I'm on the 'other side' now!

I know how tough the days following the surgery can be. It sucks, but it makes for a better story. Just another few days in hell before the rest of your life starts. It sounds like you are doing great. Ramp up your activities slowly... don't do too much too soon. I hope to hear more good news. Please keep us posted.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 03-29-2009, 07:22 PM

Default Incision healing?

I have yet another incision healing question.... Where my incision is, it feels raised and padded like. That isn't a great explanation; but when I touch it, from center to about 1/2" on each side of it, it feels more raised, like something is under it. Is this normal? I am guessing it is from the stitching underneath and the skin/muscles being pulled together.
Other than that, it seems to be healing nicely. It is a very thin line and the glue is still on for the most part, it's starting to peel in places; but still on most of it.

My swelling has went down alot, my feet are almost back to normal.... yeah! At one point they were so swollen that my skin hurt from being stretched. My muscles are still really stiff; but better than before. It is not hurting as bad to reposition myself in a chair. I am also sleeping, really good for the most part. I have found a way to get on my side to sleep, which is weird because I am usually a back sleeper. I even swept the floor today (made my daughter hold the dust pan of course). I have got it down with my grabbers where I can pick up the kids toys, trash (for some reason my kids have NO IDEA what a trash can is for, even though I have told them until I was blue in the face) and really don't need the cane or walker anymore (I do take the cane out with me, just in case. I am really clumsy and uncordinated, so I don't want to chance a fall). I went to the movies yesterday with my kids and watched Monsters vs. Aliens. Kids loved it, they did pretty good, aside from the mid-movie fight over who would hold the Sour Skittles (important stuff there). My husband dropped us off, I had one of the employees carry all of the snacks and booster seats to the theatre for us. I only had to go up and down the stairs 10 times (have a 3 year old who I had to take potty, I kid you not, 4 times BEFORE the movie ever started!) Luckily, the really nice mommy next to me was willing to watch my 5 year old everytime I left, so I just had to take the little one. I wasn't in any extra pain after the movie, just the usual. I am going to try and get into my pm dr this week and get a refill on medication. The surgeon 1/2 the stregnth from 10 to 5 mg 1-2 every 4 hours to 1-2 every 6 hours. I am taking it every 4 hours, because I just can't handle going every 6 hours. I don't take them at night, so it equals out. The surgeon acted like when this second rx was out that I should be just fine (think he is a litttle to eager, I understand; but I gotta survive too). I think his fear is that I would never get off the meds and be considered a failure, which I am not concerned about; I know I will not take anything when I don't have pain. When I tried to stick to the every 6 hours and only took 1, instead of 2, I was just laying and suffering. In order for me to be able to walk and move around, I need to have a manageable level of pain, otherwise, I won't, I'll just lay and suffer. Not to mention, having 2 kids in the house is loud and there is no rest for the weary with them around! (doesn't make for a nice mommy)
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 03-29-2009, 09:14 PM

Default you are doing really well!!

Hi Kathy, so glad you are this side of surgery you suffered so very much its only right you should get fixed reakky am so pleased for you keep on healing Marion (Maz) xx
Diagnosed mild disc dehydration L4/5L5S1 and facet dengeneration L5S1 Facet Cyst L5S1 ADR Active C C5/6C6/7 Sept 08 reduction in pain gradually by 50-60% Buttock and heel pain remain . Meds Pregablin, Tramadol, Co Codymol, Voltarol
Retunred to work Jan 09
Old 03-30-2009, 02:19 AM

Kathy,
I can't believe that you are already going to the movies with your kids? You are a super trooper. Please be careful, even taking the little one for the potty means bending over and you want to be careful the first few weeks. Has it already been that long? Take it easy and rest as much as possible, you have been though a lot. Your scar will feel softer over time and try gently rubbling some skin cream on the top. You are amazing.
Phylly
Discogram concordant pain @L4-S1 Aug. 07
Prodisc ADR's at L4-S1 November 2007
Foraminotomy July 08 for Sciatica
Continued problems and back pain worsened
Prodiscs removed and discs fused at L4-S1 Feb. 09
Old 03-30-2009, 03:55 AM

Smile Thank you! You are the best!

Thank you all for the encouragement! It is so nice to get on here and have messages! I don't know what I would have done without you (actually I do, I would have taken the first and easiest treatment offered with the first surgeon I met). Thank you for saving me from making a horrible decision. I have learned so much from all of you and have grown so much. You all have so patiently, answered my questions, encouraged me, and shared your own stories.

Thank you!
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 03-30-2009, 11:19 AM

Thumbs up Your Recovery

Hey Kathy,

Your incision sounds perfectly normal. BTW, I've read a lot of your posts lately and I have to say you are a prolific writer. I'm either laughing or thinking how you got in my brain and stole my exact thoughts on situations.

Anyway, I am so glad that you are on the other side of surgery. You struggled for too long with unnecessary bumps in the road. I'm still pinching myself that you are actually on the other side. There was so much anticipation for a solution in your situation and it really came out of nowhere. God is good!

I agree with Phylly: make sure to really keep an eye on your bending / twisting during the first 8 weeks (I would even say 10 weeks). Even if you are feeling better, make sure to "baby" your spine. This time of healing is absolutely crucial. Avoid tying your own shoes for as long as possible, as this puts an incredible amount of stress on your spine and this type of bending should be avoided post-op.

It is good that you are being realistic about your meds. The key is to be honest with your PM doctor about your pain and they should respect what is going on.

How is your husband doing through all of this? I bet he is relieved that you are now on the other side of things. My wife has been such a trooper over the last year, but, of course, it has been really hard for her (us) at times. She knows me better than I know myself...however, I was so blessed to find forums like this one before my ADR surgery. Like you, I always thought forums were for the "weirdos" in the world of the Internet. These forums and the people I have met through them, some which have become dear friends, have helped me in so many ways that even our significant others can't.

It sounds like your whole "going through hell and having surgery" has changed your outlook on life. It did the exact same thing to me and it really fine-tuned what I found important in life and helped solidify my career goals as well.

God bless you in your recovery, and if you need anything--don't hesitate to PM / email me.
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:54 PM

Kathy, I am so glad to hear how well you are doing. You deserve it, you've been through so much, it's great that you are finally on the other side of something that you so desperately wanted and needed.

I will just echo what others are saying, take it slow, and be careful how you are moving. No bending, twisting or lifting! I am extremely impressed that you went to the movies, you are a brave girl.

46 years old. 12-15 years of intermittent pain, 2 years with constant pain.

DDD, L4-5 and L5-S1, pain confirmed by discogram.
PT, ESI's, Facet injection and block, Acupuncture - all no help.

2-level (Prodisc-L) ADR surgery with Dr. Bertagnoli, May 26, 2009.

Currently taking Opana-ER (tapering off) and oxycodone
Old 03-31-2009, 03:06 AM

Kathy,
I am so happy that your recovery is going so well. I can't believe you took 2 preschoolers to a movie already. That is truly amazing! I will be praying that your recovery continues to go smoothly. Btw, the scar cream they sell really does work well if you want to try it. Take care and don't let your kids run you to ragged until you are a little more recovered. If you need anything, I think I live in the same area as you. Let me know.
Best wishes for a full recovery and pain free days ahead.
In Him,
Linda
Old 04-01-2009, 01:29 PM

Hi Cathy

glad you are doing so well, I agree with everyone take it easy

I am In Florida on Vacation Great weather,

Did not go to the Bonati Institute Cancled

Be well
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1
Old 04-01-2009, 01:30 PM

Kathy, sounds like you are coming along nicely. So wonderful. Like everyone before me has already stated, just remember to take it slow. This is the pot calling the kettle black, because I need this reminder too. Slow and steady wins the race. That's the mantra. Tuck it in your back pocket. Pull it out when you need the reminder. What are your pain levels at now? I do believe your young age will contribute significantly to some nice healing and earlier pain free days. It's all good. I could not be happier for you.

God bless you,

Cindylou
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:01 PM

Default Got a confession..

I broke down yesterday and cleaned my house. I just couldn't take it anymore. I am very OCD about cleanliness (it's next to Godliness, right?) I scrubbed bath tubs, showers, sinks, vaccummed, swept, mopped, etc. I know I shouldn't have; but just couldn't handle it anymore. I just can't 'relax' if my house is a mess, it stresses me out. My hubby has been helping and keeping it picked up; but he doesn't 'clean' like I do. He does the laundry; but there is no such thing as seperating colors, pre-treating stains, not washing certain garments, etc. So far, only a couple of items have been ruined... He does load and unload the dishwasher and cooks. But he is awful about not washing the counters and stove down. After I did the cleaning, I knew that I shouldn't have, hopefully I didn't hurt myself or mess my new spine up (I did try to be careful while I did it). I actually felt better when I woke up this morning (8 hours with no drugs) than I have felt since surgery. It's almost like when I push myself and do more than I should and stay up and moving for hours at a time, that I feel better the next day. I think because my muscles are so tight and just need that movement and stretching (I have been taking muscle relaxers; but they don't help much).
Well gotta go,
my dad is taking me to lunch (yummy),
Kathy
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 04-02-2009, 06:04 PM

Kathy,

You pushed it and it paid off. You were lucky. If I were you, I'd back off just a bit and build more slowly. Do what you would tell someone else to do and it also sounds like you have a great hubby. Take care of him... and you!

Dale
Old 04-03-2009, 02:50 PM

Kathy, I just cracked up when I read your post! That sooooo sounds like something I would do! I'm a nut over my house too, so when we are laid up, it's a major stressor. I get it. That said, you had your "fun." Now you need to ice up for awhile, because believe me when I tell you, that eventually this will catch up with you. But, kudos to you for coming here for "confession."

Keep the healing going strong.......

Cindylou
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:30 AM

Default 3 Week Update!

I am doing so much better at 3 weeks, it really is better by the day. I am still on percocet, working on cutting back. My muscles are all still sore. It is kinda like have body aches from the flu. I am tired all the time, reminds me of when I was pregnant and could barely keep my eyes open. I try not to nap, because I will sleep for hours, then be up half the night. My incision is healing nicely, just about healed. I picked at the glue and got all of it off. It was peeling and looking pretty gross. All but the very bottom of the incision is completely healed and is a nice thin line. It is still real stiff and raised feeling underneath it; but I am told that will go away as the stitches disolve. After saw that it was just about healed, I used one of my waterproof bandages (just in case) and took my first bath in 3 weeks. It was so relaxing. I just hate taking showers, baths are so theraputic for me, so I missed it big time. I am getting out daily and doing my walking 'therapy' while doing my shopping therapy! I get stir crazy real easy, so it's nice to have a change of scenery. My friend came over today and cleaned my house and did my laundry. It is so nice to have a clean home and of course a great friend who is so willing to help.
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 04-07-2009, 06:31 AM

Default sounds good

Kathy,

Things heal faster after week 3 it seems. Just keep following the orders. Are you wearing a brace?
It was nice of your friend to clean your house and do laundry. This is what is bothering me now. I have a ton of washed laundry to put away so that is bothering me right now.
Does your friend come to California? HA HA.

Remember do not bend, lift or twist. Some definitions of twisting include opening some doors and screen doors and don't reach into a pantry or a refrig to pull out stuff. I never thought of these motions as twisting or bending but I was warned by my doc to avoid those things.

Aren't you happy to be on the otherside now? It is nice to get the surgery over with and get on with the healing. Remember slow and easy like the turtle in the turtle and the hare. The turtle won the race.

Be a turtle.

Take care,

Kim
Old 04-07-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner View Post
Kathy,

Things heal faster after week 3 it seems. Just keep following the orders. Are you wearing a brace?
It was nice of your friend to clean your house and do laundry. This is what is bothering me now. I have a ton of washed laundry to put away so that is bothering me right now.
Does your friend come to California? HA HA.

Remember do not bend, lift or twist. Some definitions of twisting include opening some doors and screen doors and don't reach into a pantry or a refrig to pull out stuff. I never thought of these motions as twisting or bending but I was warned by my doc to avoid those things.

Aren't you happy to be on the otherside now? It is nice to get the surgery over with and get on with the healing. Remember slow and easy like the turtle in the turtle and the hare. The turtle won the race.

Be a turtle.

Take care,

Kim
Kim,
My surgeon acted like I didn't even need a brace. He gave me a soft one, on my request. It is elastic all the way around. I bought a harder one at the medical supply store, it has a couple of the plastic 'bar' like things in the back. It is kinda like what you would wear at a job for lifting. I mainly wear it when I go out, not much around the house.
Also, my surgeon said that I could do light bending forward and didn't restrict twisting. I have been squatting down to pick stuff up, instead of bending. I am trying not to twist, but have probably done it.
I thought his reccommendations were crazy, so I have stuck more to what I have heard you all say. He told me he was very liberal on restrictions and I think maybe to liberal. Thanks for all the help, Kathy
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 04-07-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Earhart View Post
Kim,
My surgeon acted like I didn't even need a brace. He gave me a soft one, on my request. It is elastic all the way around. I bought a harder one at the medical supply store, it has a couple of the plastic 'bar' like things in the back. It is kinda like what you would wear at a job for lifting. I mainly wear it when I go out, not much around the house.
Also, my surgeon said that I could do light bending forward and didn't restrict twisting. I have been squatting down to pick stuff up, instead of bending. I am trying not to twist, but have probably done it.
I thought his reccommendations were crazy, so I have stuck more to what I have heard you all say. He told me he was very liberal on restrictions and I think maybe to liberal. Thanks for all the help, Kathy
Kathy, it is great to hear you are doing well! I agree with Kimmers--avoid low-level bending and twisting. The first 8-10 weeks are key for osteointegration of the device. I know it's tough to avoid certain movements, especially when you are starting to mentally feel better. It's almost as if you have to make a conscious effort as you continue to heal.
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:43 PM

The house was there before you went in to surgery, the house will still be there after you heal up.

This is an excellent time to allow others to care for you while you recover. If you overdo it and hurt yourself it does the future no good.

Here's to a rosy future.

It sounds like you are doing well.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 04-08-2009, 02:32 PM

Exclamation

kathy,

Now this is the nurse coming out of me as I just read your whole post. Look at what Dr. J and Terry told you.
Please, please be careful. It is the first six weeks that are really important for the bone to grow into the implant (ADR).
I realize that a clean house is so much better, but your back is even better than that.
My youngest daughter calls me OCD and I am not. I think.
Just avoid the temptation of cleaning the bathtub, toilet, etc...

End of lecture but I wouldn't be lecturing you if it wasn't vitally important.

Kim
Old 04-09-2009, 04:56 AM

You are now 2 and a half weeks out from your surgery and how are you feeling?

I do like to repeat what others have said and that is to be careful with those bending twisting motions. Gentle, no weight and over time slowly build up. Don't do it all or too much at once.

At about 2 to 4 weeks out I finished sanding the wood counters in my kitchen. I could take about 15 minutes of that twice a day but it was good exercise. After a week the counters were done and I was getting slowly better. But cleaning a whole house?

At 2 weeks I was not ready to go to a movie theater. For me sitting more then 15 minutes was still very painful , you are doing good!

At about 6 weeks out I celebrated by putting a telephoto lens on a camera and went photographing nature, about an hour. Camera fairly heavy, that I did not realize. Did some bending etc to get into position for the shot, etc. The next day I was in severe pain and practically down for several days and it took about a week before I felt improvement. It hurt really bad above the ADR level, worry worry. Pain went away after two weeks and I was very relieved. I did a few more minor ones like that as time went on as I clearly had to retrain my back muscles.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:52 PM

Default I'm slowing down...

Ok, I have slowed down. Spent most of the day in the lazy boy. I did do some shopping; but didn't bend. Had my mom come over and clean up the house for me. No kids tonight, going out to eat with my hubby. So quiet and so nice! I told my hubby that you guys said I had to slow down. Problem is, the doctor told him all this 'liberal recovery' stuff and he doesn't get it. I explained to him that you all have done this and the general consensus is to take it easy. I'd rather be too cautious than not enough and end up messed up. I am still on the percocet, down to 6 a day. I may try switching to vicodin next week. Not sure, or maybe I will break them in half. I could do muscle relaxers and be able to handle it; but I would just sleep all the time. Narcotics make me very hyper, so it is easy to get crazy with doing stuff.
Thanks so much for all the care and concern,
kathy
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 04-10-2009, 05:02 AM

Moving is good but rest is good too. Steady progress is the key. At 3 weeks out I started visiting construction sites and was ready to climb some stuff but I was held back by everybody and it was echoed what the surgeon said to me: "Always use the handrail" (this was said by Dr. Zeegers) and not take a chance on slipping, stumbling, falling, miss stepping. Anything jarring on the spine. He told me to pretend to be very old and not to worry about what others think. It was hard but at the same time I had read the progress reports and comments on these pages as well and there is one consensus. Careful and steady progress, just a little more every other day. Listen to your body if it hurts, then stop.

I really kile lazyboys, my wife bought me an electric one before surgery because I could not pull levers or rock back etc. I wish I had one where ever I go.

The breaking the pill in half strategy sounds excellent if that works for you. I would rather try that then switch to a different med unless nessesary. you could even start with 3/4 pill.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:23 PM

Yes, there is a big difference between walking and cleaning the house. Take it easy, but that doesn't mean lay in bed all the time.

No lifting, bending or twisting. All things that are part of cleaning house, unless you are very, very, very cognizant of what you are doing at all times, and don't lift, bend or twist. I would rather not try and clean the house, if there is a possibility that I will do one of those things, without thinking about it. It's just too easy to do.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:14 PM

Default 4 Weeks Post-Op!

Yeah, I am finally 4 weeks post op!

I am feeling really good overall. My muscles are still pretty stiff; but it is not the same pain as before. The pain now will be more in my butt, legs and one-sided and higher in my back (before it was more center back). I am stil taking percocet 10mg, 4 or 5 a day and the pain is well controlled. I could take muscle relaxers and control the pain; but then I would want to sleep all day and not move around or walk (which would just make it worse) Before surgery I was on Kadian (morphine) 20mg, 2 a day and Vicodin 10mg 5 or 6 a day and I was still in tons of pain.

My incision is healed except for a little scab on the top and one on the bottom. Everytime my 3 year old, Ava, sees it, she asks "mommy you hold me now? you back better?" It is so sweet and sad. She loves sitting on my lap in the rocker and loving on me. My 5 year old, Emma has been really good at understanding and helping me. She has helped clean the house and helping with her sister. I am super proud of how well the two of them are doing. They love it that I need to walk, been taking them to the duck pond in our neighborhood, feeding the duck and getting to see all the spring babies.

I still get tired very easy; but am not sleeping great either. I was taking Ambien, after surgery; but that has run out. I now take my muscle relaxers sleep. I slept good last night; but some nights I wake repeatedly (needing to pee, which is rare for me to wake up for that). My muscles will be very stiff and then I have a hard time getting back to sleep. Sometimes, I get up, take a percocet, sit on the heating pad watching tv and wait for the medication to kick in. I then go back to bed.

Well, I think that is all for now, I'll probably think of something else later....

Kathy
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 04-15-2009, 02:42 PM

Kathy,

Overall, it all sounds good. Refresh me...did you have 1 or 2 levels done? I didn't see it in your signature. Obviously, we had completely different surgeries, but I am 5 weeks post-op, so we are just one week apart in our healing. Who is following you for your aftercare? Sorry you are having some difficulty with sleep. Have you ever tried melatonin? When I am off my sleep cycle, I take it and it does wonders. I'll take it for maybe a week, to re-regulate my sleep, and then when I stop it, I have no problem sleeping through the night. Just a thought. It's over the counter.
All in all, you appear to be doing remarkable. Again, I think your young age is definitely working in your favor. Before you know it, you'll be power walking and enjoying a spring bicycle ride.

My best to you,

Cindylou
Old 04-16-2009, 03:25 AM

CL- I had one level done, L4/5 Active L. I am going to be able to be followed at my original surgeons office (Texas Back Institute). They were also investigators in the Active L trial, so they are taking me as a transfer (sort of, since I was already a patient there). I wasn't able to have surgery there in the trial, as they had done the max number of surgeries allowed per location. I saw Dr. Zigler before surgery and will see Dr. Blumenthal for follow up.

I will have to try the melatonin for sleep. It couldn't hurt to try it and see if it helps. We are a week apart on recovery, so we are going through the same ups and downs of recovery. Yesterday was pretty rough for me. I think I was too sedentary and was extremely stiff. Today, I worked my rear off. My friend and I are having a garage sale next weekend. My neighborhood does a community one twice a year, so tons of people come out. Last year, her and I sold out in 4 hours, made lots of money. I was going to skip this year, since I knew I couldn't do what was needed to prepare for it. Well, she came over and cleaned my attic for me, helped me go through my kids clothes and is helping me mark all of the stuff. I have a ton of stuff to sell, as I am selling all of my baby stuff and stored clothes, that my girls outgrew but was holding onto in case I had another baby. It is unreal the sheer volume of clothes my children have. I could clothe a girl for years and she would never have to wear the same thing twice! I also have my stuff, furniture, and more. We have everything out of the closets, attic and everywhere else. Now, we have to price and mark it all, then arrange by size, then set up the sale. We are hoping that if we work tomorrow and Friday, we will have it all labeled and sorted. That will give us next week to go get tables and set them up in the garage and get the stuff on them (so we just have to pull them out on the day of the sale). She is doing all the lifting, bending and such. I still had to go through and decide what was getting kept and what was being sold.

How are you feeling?
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 04-16-2009, 02:47 PM

Kathy,

I don't post much but I have followed many folks over the past 6 months and given what I have read from others recovering from ADR it sounds like you are really doing well. I am excited for you and pray that you will have your "old life" back soon. Chronic pain is draining and it seems like it sucks the life out of a person. I realized yesterday that it has been nearly one year ago that my disc ruptured entirely. I had acute problems off and on for 7 years but this past year it has been EVERY SINGLE DAY. I was sickened thinking about how much of my life I lost for me and my family. It is hard enough to feel like you have wasted so much of life on back issues but it is doubly hard when you have little ones who need you and want to have fun with you. My son is 9 and one day he actually referred to me as disabled. I nearly cried - not for me but for him. I really don't want him to remember his childhood having a disabled Mom. Anyway, I can't wait for you to be back enjoying a normal, pain free life without any limitations. It will be great when you can fly out the door with your girls and go have fun without thinking of what you can and can't do because of your back!!!!
Old 04-17-2009, 06:30 PM

Default I miss my dog

Hey, nothing to do with backs here....
My dog, Jack, a white boxer, had surgery last week on Tuesday. He has these growths that appear on his skin, that are basically just like a zit. With Jack, however, they don't go away on there own . On him, they just get bigger and bigger, finally requiring surgery. He had one on his rear right leg removed last week. He had a 5 inch incision going down the top of his leg, with tons of staples in it. Poor dog had the cone on his head; but he got smart and was using the edge of it to 'scratch' the wound. I then removed the cone, made him lay on his bed in the living room (so I could watch him and keep him from licking himself like crazy) Well, we locked him in the shower, in the bathroom on Sunday when we were gone all day for Easter (for whatever reason, the smaller space keeps him from moving around and picking at his wound). We came home Sunday evening and he still had all his staples in; but his skin was soft and gooey (like a booger) and stretched. It looked like he had a flesh eating bacteria, being the doctor I am, I diagnosed him I don't think that is what she thinks it is; more like 'bad skin' or he infected it by licking it so much. We took him back to the vet on Monday, she cut all the 'dead' skin off and kept him there (so he could be watched better than we can). He went back into surgery on Wednesday to remove more dead skin and he had ripped some staples out (why am I paying her to watch him again?) She now has him in a small kennel, so he can't turn to reach and lick his wound. Yesterday, he had a good day and was doing good (altough he is probably killing her with the whining- he is spoiled and is more high maintenance than my kids at times )

Anyways, I miss having him here. I'm worried about him, I don't think it is life threatening; but never had to leave him at the vet this long either. I decided, dogs are like kids, if they didn't come as babies and puppies, no one would keep em' We watched Marley and Me last night, it so reminded me of Jack, drives you crazy (eats your steak if you turn your back on him and it for too long); but you love them anyway! Oh, I cried like a baby when the dog died (hope I didn't ruin that for anyone).
Had Baby #3 after ADR!

Last edited by Kathy; 04-17-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:51 PM

Default re your baby

Kathy,
Sure hope your pup heals soon and can come back home ASAP.. poor baby! I'd miss Lola too or the cats whenever they have to be at the Vet's overnight or for x number of days.. or even worse when I'm in Fla.visiting my Dad for a period of time..

anyway, sending cyber get well healing thoughts to your doggie and sure do understand that *thing* called love w/our animals.

Not seen Marley and Me yet as I'm afraid to cry my eyes out over it
Old 04-18-2009, 12:28 AM

Here is a picture of Jack in his cone.

jack cone.jpg

Last edited by Kathy; 04-18-2009 at 12:35 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:54 AM

Oh, you can tell Jack does not like the cone.
I took my eight-year-old to see Marley and Me and I kind of felt bad because of the end but he keeps asking to see it again (on DVD).
So you never know how kids react.
Hope Jack is home soon.

Runner
Old 04-18-2009, 12:58 AM

Jack does not look happy
Old 04-18-2009, 02:17 AM

Just uploaded these Easter pictures to my computer and had to share. Emma is 5 1/2 years old and Ava is 3 years old.

027.jpg

046.jpg

032.jpg
Had Baby #3 after ADR!

Last edited by Kathy; 04-18-2009 at 02:55 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:20 AM

Yeah, the dog is pissed about the cone. If he could keep his mouth off of his wound he wouldn't have to wear it! He is an extremely high maintenance dog!
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 04-18-2009, 02:46 AM

Wink Hi KBear

Hi Kathy

I am glad you are doing so well, with all you have been through, your Doggie will be fine, cute kids and your avatar is great.

Life is a mystery never know whats around the corner we just keep moving forward the best we can and most of the time better.

I had lunch at Bubbas today, what is your sister in laws name. I would like to say hi for you.

Take Care Go Slow and enjoy life to the fullest

AFAW Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
Old 04-18-2009, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Denis View Post
Hi Kathy

I am glad you are doing so well, with all you have been through, your Doggie will be fine, cute kids and your avatar is great.

Life is a mystery never know whats around the corner we just keep moving forward the best we can and most of the time better.

I had lunch at Bubbas today, what is your sister in laws name. I would like to say hi for you.

Take Care Go Slow and enjoy life to the fullest

AFAW Gil
Thank you for the compliment and doggie encouragement. Was hoping that he would come home today; but he's still not well enough. Maybe Monday.

Her name is Amanda Bixby, she is dark haired, maybe 5'3" and pretty heavy, very funny woman!
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 04-18-2009, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshobbies View Post
Jack does not look happy
Cute kids, how old are they?
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 04-18-2009, 02:56 AM

Read my post, Grandkids
Old 04-18-2009, 03:24 AM

Just read it, they are adorable.
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 04-18-2009, 08:35 PM

Default Me on day 2 post-surgery

I just found this picture on my camera of myself on day 2 post-surgery

007.jpg
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 04-18-2009, 08:36 PM

Default Cute

Hi Kathy

You look well rested

Take Care

Gil
L5-S1DDDDD
C3-C4 limited DDD
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
Old 04-19-2009, 01:30 AM

Been there, done that! We can relate
Old 04-19-2009, 08:18 PM

Thanks for sharing your early post op picture. I can totally relate to as I have such a picture of myself in form of a self portrait I took myself but I dare post it, I just didn't look very good those first few days.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
Thanks for sharing your early post op picture. I can totally relate to as I have such a picture of myself in form of a self portrait I took myself but I dare post it, I just didn't look very good those first few days.
Now that I know you have it, you must post it. C'mon, just do it, just do it, I double dog dare you (that's my attempt at peer pressure)
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 04-21-2009, 03:39 AM

O no, I should never have wrote that

Old 04-21-2009, 04:18 AM

I have to say, you look a bit better drugged than I do. I was wondering if your avatar was really you, now I know. I like to have a face to put to a name, I'm just nosey like that! How long you been growing your beard? The men in my family can barely grow facial hair, much less a real beard (though my step-uncle has a pretty good Santa Claus looking one he has been growing for 2 years)
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 04-21-2009, 07:04 AM

Been growing it for many years. But in the last 7 years forgot to snip it at some point. The somehow coincided with backpain .

The nurses at the surgery had to figure out how to deal with it and they ended up wrapping it arround my head like the guy in the sodapop commercial "combover" (lol).
Old 04-21-2009, 05:07 PM

Julius has had a beard most of our married life (37 years). A few years ago, our youngest son told his dad he'd never seen him without a beard, so he shaved it off. We all discovered that a beard hides facial aging
Old 04-21-2009, 07:00 PM

I remember when I was a kid, my Dad always had a beard, not as impressive as yours Fuzzy. But one morning he woke me up for school, and he had shaved it off. That was quite a shock, first thing in the morning, to see a face that didn't look familiar.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:33 AM

My dad did this when I was young, cut back his beard very short. I was shocked and asked him why he did it and he said he could not look that way in the job situation he was in. I decided to keep mine and now good question what it looks like underneath ;-) only that sneaky grey tells the story.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:40 AM

Fuzzy,
This is a funny topic.
My only relative that has a beard is my uncle-in-law and he has kept it for some time, i guess.
He is a product of the 60's and there is nothing wrong with that. When my girls were little, they would braid his beard.
I have never seen him clean shaven except in pictures.
I think I would be shocked if he ever shaved it off.

R
Old 04-22-2009, 05:04 AM

My wife she braids my beard and for work into the shirt it goes...
Old 04-23-2009, 07:41 PM

Default 5 week follow up

I had my 5 week follow up yesterday & everything looked great. Dr. Blumenthal said it would only look better if he had done it himself I am starting physical therapy next week and am so ready. I feel like most of my pain is muscular, more dull and aching instead of the pre-op stabbing, burning, feeling like sandpaper was being rubbed up and down my spine; so think some muscle stretching, stregnthing will help.

I did overdo it yesterday and am paying the price today. I feel like crap, was able to sleep an entire hour and a half last night and still can't fall asleep today (tried to nap when my kiddo did, couldn't fall asleep). Not sure if it is from too much on the back or if I have some stomach bug (feels like both). My 3 year old daughter is also home sick today, with an allergies, draining ears and nose. As soon as my hubby calls to say he is on the way home, I am taking 2 muscle relaxers, and a percocet and off to bed I go. Hopefully, tomorrow will be a better day than today.
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 04-24-2009, 11:44 PM

Default oh so sick...

I just came on to vent, I am oh so sick with a stomach bug. Feels like the flu, body aches, vomitting and general yuck feeling. I have already had the flu once this season, even though I got my flu shot. I finally slept last night, which was wonderful. I am so done with being sick, I just want to feel good again.
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 04-25-2009, 02:55 AM

Oh Kathy, I'm sorry you are feeling so awful.

I picked up some virus, even though I also had the flu shot, and ended up with pneumonia which is just now going away. It's been almost two months since I've felt normal, or at least as normal as 'we' can with everything else we are going through

I hope that you are able to take time to heal and not let this grow into something worse. It is the first time in years that I have had bad stuff hit like that. The nurse said that an awful lot of 'flues' have turned into pneumonia, and now there is that awful scare from Mexico to worry about.
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:37 PM

Default flu and colds

Kathy,
I hope you're feeling better today.. I can't tell you how many of my friends have been sick lately either with a very long lasting viral thing (cold like) or the flu! And they said the flu stuff was super awful (diarrhea/vomiting and just feeling bad).

So hope you're on the mend today and taking it easy.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:46 PM

Kathy, I hope you are feeling better. You need all your energy for surgery recovery, having to battle a virus isn't going to help, is it? Well, I hope it's not taking too much out of you, and that it doesn't last long.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:02 AM

Default Overdoing it

Kathy, I overdid it also 2 weeks ago. Thought I was doing good enough to go clothes shopping at the mall for 4 hours, ran a bunch of errands etc, I d say it set me back a good 2 weeks. (Sigh). Still havent gotten back to where I was. Im 2 months post op and some days are pretty good and some are not so good, still have moderate pain issues but I think its a very gradual improvement trend. Though at least I know the pains I have today are nothing at all like the old pre op pain. I guess your body gets worked up pretty good during these surgeries. Im thinking at this pace, it may be 4-5 months before I REALLY feel good. I was hoping for 6-8 weeks. : (
Old 04-27-2009, 01:55 PM

Kathy, have you kicked that bad bug yet? I woke up yesterday morning with a bad sore throat out of the blue. Don't know if it's allergies or if I'm coming down with a viral infection. I'm jealous you are starting pt this week. Let me know how you do. Every day I don't get to exercise I blow up like the pillsbury dough boy! Can't wait till I get the thumbs up. Hope you are healing nicely.

Cindylou
Old 04-27-2009, 09:59 PM

Default Finally Better

Thank you all for the well wishes! I was sick as can be all weekend and finally feel good again today. I went for a bike ride with my kids today, feeling a little bad now, so I'll take it easy the rest of the day. I am so excited to start therapy tomorrow! I am ready to be able to do what I want to do. I am not doing very good at the no bending, twisting thing... tomorrow is 6 weeks, so I don't think it's too big of a deal. My doctor switched me from percocet 10mg to hydrocodone 10mg, and the hydrocodone just isn't doing anything for me. I feel like just quitting cold turkey, going through hell of withdrawls for a while and be done with it. The slow withdrawal is almost cruelty to humans Guess well see, Kathy
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 05-02-2009, 05:23 PM

Kathy, good luck with the withdrawals. I have very bad memories.

The no twisting, bending is a pain in the butt but it will serve you well down the line if you stick to in the "early" days (<10 weeks).

I'm glad you are over your cold. Finally.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:20 PM

Default Update 5 1/2 months post op

Wow, it really doesn't seem like 5 1/2 months since surgery, it really does pass quickly.
I have been seeing Dr. Blumenthal of Texas Back Institute for my follow up, as he is an investigator in the trial. He said early on the only way it could be better placed was if he did it. LOL I take that as a compliment and him tooting his own horn!

My old pain is gone; but I am having different pain. I knew going into this that I had 2mm herniations on the disc above and below this one; but none of the surgeons I visited (Dr. Bradley, Dr. Zigler and Dr. Garcia) all felt these were not my pain generators. During my discogram, these discs were injected and caused no pain, only L4/5 caused pain, at a level of 10/10. I also had facet arthritis prior to surgery; but once again, all 3 surgeons still felt I was a good canidate for ADR. I had to be within certain medical guidelines for the clinical trial, so I was not beyond those limits. I had also had a facet rhizotomy prior to ADR and had no relief from it. The surgeons also took this in account and felt that my facets were not my pain generators.

I asked Dr. Blumenthal the other day why he thought I still have pain. He said that in like 10-20% of the population, facets will cause problems after ADR. He set me up for facet injections and thinks this could fix it completely (which I have heard of from fellow spineys who had/have to get them every few months post-ADR and feel great). I asked Dr. Blumenthal if I was a good canidate for ADR. He said that I was, that my disc was placed perfectly, is moving exactly as it should and looks great; he said Dr. Garcia did a wonderful job.

I also feel like this could be muscular pain, as I haven't been doing my PT like I should. I really need to schedule a time in my day to do it and make myself do it. My main issue has been that my pain management doctor is so eager to get me off meds, that they keep cutting me back and I'm on just enough to function my daily duties and no extra. I am currently taking 3-5 10 mg vicodin a day, plus Lyrica, Cymbalta, and Zanaflex. I also had run out of Lyrica and did not call for my refill and was off of it for about a month and think that caused my temporary increase in pain.
I have also noticed that on the days that I make myself be active, that I feel better the next day and vice versa, the days that I lay around, then I feel worse the next day.

I am glad that I had ADR, as I have seen my pain going from a 9 or 10 daily to a 3 or 4 daily. I have reduced my meds from 40 mg of Morphine and 60-80 mg of Vicodin a day to 30-50 mg of Vicodin a day. I am also able to completely get rid of my pain with meds, whereas before it would only go down to a 3 or 4 with meds.

Another plus, since I was in the clinical trial, all of my post-op visits and x-rays are paid for 100% by the sponsor! They also give you $100 gift cards at your 1 year, 2 year, etc visits. They told me they do this, because people will have the surgery and feel great, so they won't come in for their follow-ups, not realizing that they are important for the study to be done correctly.
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 09-02-2009, 06:46 PM

Hi Kathy,

It's been awhile since we heard from you and I'm glad you're doing well.

As a non-exercizer and one who doesn't like to sweat, I know what I should be doing and so do you. It's hard to get motivated but something we both need to confront and get going. Stretching is equally as important.

I was first diagnosed as a 4 level but my non-anesthetized discogram revealed L2/3 as a non pain generator. I believe it became one and as my pain began to interfere with my level of activity I knew I had to do something about it. Currently, anymore back surgeries are not my option!!!

I just started Pilates a month ago and already regret not doing so much earlier. I don't mind saying this is not within my comfort level but these slow and controlled movements are designed to maximize core strength and for the first time in about 6 years, I sat through a movie in relative comfort. (I highly recommend Julie and Julia)

Nobody but you can make you get up and go to pt. I'm older than you and have come up with many more excuses but we both know they are excuses.

One more thing - I think it can be dangerous quitting Lyrica cold turkey. Starting and stopping should be gradual. And if you're truly unhappy with your pm doctor, either tell him or find another one. More than just functioning is not an unrealistic desire.

Keep up the good work, Dale
Old 09-20-2010, 02:10 AM

Default 18 month update

Wow, I can't believe it has been over a year since i updated! I'm 18 months post op and doing wonderfully. I still have minimal pain, but I am able to manage on 7.5-15mg of Hydrocodone a day. I am completely off of the muscle relaxers, Lyrica and Cymbalta; the only prescription I take for my spine is hydrocodone. I am able to do anything I want to and generally don't have to suffer because of it.

After much planning and discussion with all of my doctors, I am now pregnant with my 3rd baby! We are completely thrilled, as we thought that this would never be possible. I'm 11.5 weeks and feeling no extra pain. Morning (all day) sickness has been kicking my butt, but I've been given a good anti-nausea medication from OB that is helping now. I initially was having less pain and only needing 1 hydrocodone a day, so hoping once this first trimester is over I can go back to that and be off completely.

Thanks again for all of your support as I went through my pain and recovery journey. I'm so happy to be a success!
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 09-20-2010, 02:35 PM

Default Talk about progress!

Kathy,
Congratulations on your pregnancy as well as wonderful recovery!
Please keep us posted and thanks so much for enlightening update!
Old 09-21-2010, 04:19 AM

This is great to hear Cathy. You and I sound the same, lol. I too still have some pain, and take hydrocordone and ibuprofen as needed, mostly in the evenings but in still far better than before surgury and am able to be pain free with a little meds. Of course, I don't have my ADR's anymore like you do. : (

9/22/09 -Dr B opened me up to find a staph infection was eating my vertebrae causing ADR subsidence. Had to remove all 3 ADR's and convert to 3 level fusion. Mostly pain free 2 weeks post op.

9/20/10 - I think I jinxed myself. As soon as I told dr b and dr Sullivan I was doing well (on 6/1/10) I tanked and have experienced the return of pain. My neuro says the new pain is at t4.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:10 AM

Default Pain Free & 7 months Pregnant!!

I'm almost 2 years post op, 7 months pregnant with baby #3 and completely pain free. I am on absolutely no medication and have zero pain! I have been doing crazy amounts of nesting and working around my house and having no pain. The first of October was when the rest of the pain went away, at 18.5 months post op. When the morning sickness left, the pain went with it. My OBGYN is amazed that I'm having no pain, as most women who don't have back problems are having them at this stage in pregnancy. I'm so very thankful for all who helped me on my journey to ADR.

Oh and I'm having a little boy to join my 2 little girls! Due late March/ early April.

From a month ago, but here is me and baby!
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 01-28-2011, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Kathy, you look great! I am so happy for you. What an amazing story about the pain leaving with your morning sickness.

Please keep us posted... I know a few, but there are not many women who have delivered post-ADR. The question occasionally comes up. I've discussed this with many of the spine surgeons I know and they say there is no reason not to have a normal delivery. I'm looking forward to seeing you as the poster, ADR mom!

All the best.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 01-29-2011, 02:55 PM

Default great photo and great news!

Kathy,
how wonderful that you're doing so well! It's an amazing testament to the change that this type of surgery can have for women of childbearing age as well as non childbearing age. I didn't have kids because of my back which at the time seemed like the only viable option given how badly I was doing for such a long time however there weren't the options available that there are now (plus pain meds were totally frowned upon back in my day during pregnancy).

While I know of women that have gotten pregnant and had a baby post fusion (even multilevel fusion) it's really great to hear that one can successfully do so post ADR as well.

Please keep us posted and take good care! Maria
Old 07-06-2011, 08:32 PM

Thanks Mark & Maria. Took me awhile to see this.

I had Eli Thomas born on March 25, 2011 weighing 8 lbs. 9 oz. and 21 3/4" long. He is now 3 months and we are doing great. He's sleeping through the night (hallelujah) and growing so fast. His big sisters adore him and are a great help. I finished up the pregnancy with no back pain, had a c-section (which caused a bit of back pain for a few weeks, from the instability), but I'm back to pain free now. I can do whatever I want and am doing things I never dreamed possible. I actually 'played' at a gymnastics party with my kids, doing the obstacle course bounce house, flips and jumping in the foam pit (way easier in than out) and didn't have a bit of pain after. I'm thrilled I had the ADR and got to have another baby!

Here is Eli (not sure where the red hair came from- LOL)

Had Baby #3 after ADR!