Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss 2Months Post-op L5/S1 Fusion Nerve Issues in the Main forums forums; Hello, On 2/16 I will be 2 months post-op an L5/S1 TLIF fusion and I have found ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2009, 09:37 PM

Default 2Months Post-op L5/S1 Fusion Nerve Issues

Hello,

On 2/16 I will be 2 months post-op an L5/S1 TLIF fusion and I have found that as the weeks wear on since the surgery I find more and more nerve issues cropping up. Prior to the surgery I was having a lot of weakness in my right leg and some left foot numbness issues all of which are still a problem today. I find it difficult to walk much and I can walk without a cane but not for long before my right leg just can't function normally. My NS said that my disc was entirely gone but that he did not see any nerve compression while performing the fusion so I am not sure what the culprit was/is. On top of the nerve issues prior to surgery now I am having a lot of burning and numbness down the back of my legs and feet which I did not have prior to surgery. Has anyone experienced this 2 months after fusion surgery? I guess I would have expected some nerve pain/issues right after surgery but not 2 months afterward. I have an appointment with the NS tomorrow and will go over this with him but I am wondering if this is "normal" and will resolve itself-- I don't feel hopeful at this point.

One other question I have is what kind of imaging will show nerve compression? I hope the answer is something other than a CT Myelogram. I am factor XI deficient and most ansthesiologists would never "poke" my spinal cord. Anyway I sure hope that there is some way to find out where the nerve problems are coming from. Does anyone have any suggestions?

BTW - L5/S1 was the only level where I had any DDD or bulging disc.

Last edited by cls; 04-12-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:50 PM

Default suggestions..

After my 2nd discectomy I had terrific burning pain that went bilat in buttocks to quads, to calves, thru legs to soles of feet... lasted quite a number of years but then again wasn't all that adequately managed back in the early 90's.

Since '98 I've been on Gabapentin (Neurontin) taking 1800mg/day and since 2001 I've been taking a small dose of Methadone daily which has totally quelled burning pain anywhere.

So I can't say that I have any idea what is causing your symptoms or what imaging needs to be done but drug wise if you've not already been recommended to try Lyrica, Topamax or Gabapentin there are some pharmaceutical choices to help with this type of pain if it's still there...

Please update us with how you're doing
Old 04-14-2009, 05:09 PM

I had an L4-S1 fusion 2 months ago. As I have become more active I have increased burning and nerve pain in my left leg similar to the pain I had before surgery in that leg. I am starting to suspect piriformis syndrome in that leg because I am positive that there is no nerve compression. I will not see my Dr. for another 3 weeks so I have to wait to ask. Let us know what your Dr. says, I would be very curious. I am hoping that my pain resolves with some stretching. Time will tell.
Phylly
Discogram concordant pain @L4-S1 Aug. 07
Prodisc ADR's at L4-S1 November 2007
Foraminotomy July 08 for Sciatica
Continued problems and back pain worsened
Prodiscs removed and discs fused at L4-S1 Feb. 09
Old 04-15-2009, 01:44 AM

cls,

I sent you a private message.
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:54 AM

I second Maria on the Lyrica suggestion. It has helped my nerve pain tremendously. I actually started it for a numb thumb issue and mild carpal tunnel syndrome in the same arm. The pain from this was definitely nerve pain as narcotics did not help it at all. I have since had my pm dr. double the normal dose in hopes that it would help with my back pain (never really have been able to tell a difference in the back with or without it; but continue to take it for my arm/numb thumb issues).

Please post when you find something out and keep us updated. You are only 2 months out from major surgery, so I wouldn't get to worried about it. Your nerves and muscles are still adjusting to the new changes in your spine. We are here to help you in any way we can.
Kathy
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 04-15-2009, 04:07 AM

Default EMG and nerve conduction studies

hi cls,

i'm sorry you are suffering. i'd suggest, if your NS did not the other day, that you have an EMG and nerve conduction study performed, see EMG's and Nerve Conduction Tests for general info. You basically have the crap shocked out of you but it's a useful diagnostic, esp if you can't have the myelogram. It should show your NS if you have any old or existing nerve compression and to what nerve and if consistent w/your symptoms. I recently had one performed which confirmed old L5 radiculopathy to 4 muscles in my right leg because i waited so long to have my op but the EMG showed no nerves were compressed now. i think EMGs are about 80% accurate and mine corresponded w/my symptoms.

since you didn't have compression pre-op perhaps your nerves are just inflamed now or could the fusion hardware be up against a nerve? i had a lot of bizarre nerve symptoms after my ADR op (and still do 1.5 yrs later but symptoms are less "global"); it's hard to explain nerve pain to people. i'm sorry but 2 months isn't long so don't despair yet... your body went through major trama.

some people have some luck w/ B-12 (methylcobalamin) for nerve regeneration if a nerve was damaged (i've taken it for 2 years) but the neurontin or lyrica would help more w/the nerve related inflammation pain.

i had a neurologist perform my EMG and they could also test for other diseases if they think appropriate or diagnose other types of pain.

stay positive and i hope your NS gave you some leads.

take care,
liz

Last edited by Liz; 04-15-2009 at 04:27 AM. Reason: added info