Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss C5-6 Prodisc-C Surgery Blog in the Main forums forums; 5/28/08 Hey everyone, I had my surgery today and am out of recovery and into my room. Surgery ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2009, 01:33 AM

Default C5-6 Prodisc-C Surgery Blog

5/28/08

Hey everyone, I had my surgery today and am out of recovery and into my room. Surgery was scheduled for 10am but didn't get started until 12:45pm, I think I was in recovery until about 4:30pm.

The doctor said that when he removed the disc that there was a lot of scar tissue that he had to remove and a lot of inflammation. I have never heard of having scar tissue behind a disc especially since I haven't had surgery there before, but then again I am not quite thinking so straight right now.

Now for post-op pain. Keep in mind that it is too early to tell how much pain relief is from the surgery or the medication right now, but I will still describe what I feel like.

The pain in the back of my head is almost gone. I had some pretty significant pain in my left arm in recovery that did not respond to pain medication, but that is diminishing now. The pain in my upper back between my shoulder blades is still there, but reduced. I am pretty dizzy, but I have been able to get up and walk around a bit. As far as the throat pain, I have to say that it is not nearly as bad as I was expecting. My Chiari surgery throat pain was much worse and I have had sore throats much more painful than this.

Now for the bad news. My heart rate is still pretty high and it is not because of the pain. It is running between 100-115 and jumps to 130 or so when I move. I also have this pain in my throat/chest about 3 inches below my collar bone that shoots straight through to my back. At this area I feel every heart beat and when I swallow, my heart rate increases to 130-135. It is a really horrible feeling that I can do nothing to relieve. The doctors are not concerned about it but I would rather be in pain than have this feeling.

So anyway, I am going to try and get some rest now. I will keep everyone updated on my progress.
VATS thoracic fusion @ T3-4 and T6-7 on 9/11/09
Fusion w/cage @ C7-T1 on 11/12/09
Old 05-29-2009, 04:17 AM
Administrator

Wow J... posting just a few hours post-op. Great news that you can tell that some of your pains have been addressed so early after surgery. You'll be surprised how fast you'll come around and how other pains may fade much later. There is still a lot of inflammation from your surgery.

There can be scar tissue where there was not surgery. Inflammatory responses to the torn discs can generate scar tissue. Also, remnants of old disc protrusions can be calcified must be cleaned up behind the disc.

I hope to hear that your increased heart rate resolves. Regarding the pain below the collar bone... does it change with breathing. I had (and still have occasionally) pain on deep breathing... I'll expain more in other posts.

Recover well... don't push things (like I have!)

All the best,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 05-29-2009, 05:21 PM

J,

My but you're posting so soon post surgery. Glad some pre-op pain has disappeared but understand your concern about your heart rate. Could this be a reaction to anesthesia? Has this happened before, perhaps on a lesser scale?

Please remember to take it slow. Hopefully, other pain issues will resolve in short order.

Bet it feels great to be on the other side, Dale
Old 05-29-2009, 09:34 PM

5/29/09

Well I made it back home. I had surgery about an hour from where I live. I did have a bit of a scare today though. When I was being discharged I got into an argument with my mother who is an extremely abrasive woman and very stressfull to be around. I got upset and shoved my clothes in my suitcase and def. hurt my neck a bit. The anxiety on the way home was through the roof.

I am at my home by myself now and even though it is probably not good to be by myself, it is better than being under more stress than I already am.

As far as the pain, everything is still the same. I was able to eat regular food today, but it still causes my heart to beat fast and hard. Sleeping last night was rough because of the way the pain medicine affects me. It makes me agitated and my muscles twitch a bit. Just like with my brain surgery I will probably have to just suck it up and go without them. I think sleep is much more important in my recovery than pain relief at this point.

I am going to try and take it easy now and hope that I didn't mess anything up when I got upset.
VATS thoracic fusion @ T3-4 and T6-7 on 9/11/09
Fusion w/cage @ C7-T1 on 11/12/09
Old 05-30-2009, 05:13 PM

Default re the heart rate

So I gather you weren't given any medication to regulate your heart rate or perhaps any anti-anxiety medication? Is it just w/movement that rate increases.. that would be pretty often in my book as lying still isn't easy for me to do.

I hope this sensation/occurence passes soon for you and I'm sort of like you re being alone to sooth *nerves* no pun intended..

Also hope you have all that you need or can easily enough access it w/o agitating yourself/heartrate/sensation.

Thanks for the update and take it easy!
Old 05-30-2009, 05:14 PM

J,

Dealing with parents and family is complicated. For your own sanity and health, just say yes to everything she says and then do what you want.

Though some mothers are indeed , most mean well and only want what's best for their very precious children - regardless of age.

Take care, rest easy and maybe you should see a cardiologist, just to get things checked out.

My best, Dale
Old 05-30-2009, 05:25 PM

Default ditto

On cardiologist consultation. Ditto on agreeing w/whomever just to shut them up and perhaps get a glass of juice/water and food as needed.

My neck went out last week and when I would speak the movement of my tongue made my neck hurt so while hub was driving around looking for a certain location last weekend we got into a bit of a verbal tiff and it bothered me so to escalate so I just stopped talking. That helped me! I can be quite reactive myself at times esp. when I don't feel well so I have to be careful not to get drawn into some unnecessary drama (that usually makes me want to go off in a huff and/or do some stupid physical thing I'd usually ask for help with because of increased adrenaline (fight or flight type of energy).

Calm thoughts, calm environment, calming music.. and so forth~ rest,rest,recover

Last edited by Maria; 05-30-2009 at 05:31 PM.