Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss L4/L5, L5/L6 (S1) Prodisc-L - treefrog (aka Cathy) in the Main forums forums; SURGERY DATE: May 26, 2009 AGE AT SURGERY DATE: 46 SURGEON: Dr. Bertagnoli SURGERY LOCATION/CLINIC: St. Elisabeth in Straubing ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2009, 09:54 AM

Default L4/L5, L5/L6 (S1) Prodisc-L - treefrog (aka Cathy)

SURGERY DATE: May 26, 2009

AGE AT SURGERY DATE: 46

SURGEON: Dr. Bertagnoli

SURGERY LOCATION/CLINIC: St. Elisabeth in Straubing

DEVICE(s), LEVEL(s): Prodisc-L at L4/L5 and L5/L6 (or S1)

COST = EUR 34.550,00 (US $47,676.00)
AMOUNT BILLED:
INSURANCE ALLOWED:
OUT OF POCKET: All (so far - but I am submitting a claim to my insurance company)
TRAVEL: US $1054.80 for two tickets + US $564.00 for one upgrade to first class + EUR 1427,50 (US $2,011.26) for hotel for two people = Total US $3,630.06
EXPLANATIONS?

ONSET OF LUMBAR PROBLEMS, DATE OF INJURY, CAUSE, ETC...: DDD intermittent from early 1990's, became chronic in 2007.

PRIOR SPINE SURGERIES AND PROCEDURES (IDET, ESI, etc...): Several ESI's, and a facet block.

PRE-OP MEDICATIONS: Opana-ER 20 mg 2xday; oxycodone (~7.5 mg [1/2 of 15mg pill]) as needed; gabapentin 300 mg 4xday; diclofenac 75mg 2xday.

PRE-OP DIAGNOSTICS (discogram, nerve root blocks, etc...): facet block; discogram.

PRE-OP NEUROPATHIES (what, where, & degree of pain, numbness, tingling, sexual/bladder/bowel symptoms, etc.): Slight numbness in heels, up right calf and shin, and right knee.

PRE-OP CONDITION (Please include %leg pain/% back pain, pain levels, type of pain, ability to work and function, disability status, etc.... be direct, but be as verbose as you need to): ~20% right leg pain, 80% back pain. Still working full time up until surgery, but with reduced duties. Very little social life.

TIME POST-OP AT ORIGINAL POST HERE: 9 days post-op

DESCRIBE YOUR SURGICAL EXPERIENCE: Dr. Bertagnoli said my anatomy (the end plates and my blood vessels crossing over my spine that had to be moved) caused the surgery to be a little more complicated than he had anticipated. But, he used AMP ceramics (bone cement), and said that everything came out beautifully. At 3 days post-op, went to ProSpine office to meet with Dr. Bertagnoli, had x-rays and asked how long till I could leave the hospital. He replied that I could leave whenever I felt ready. I left later that evening, to go back to the hotel Theresientor.

RATE FUNCTIONALITY / SATISFACTION AT INTERVALS BELOW:

FUNCTIONALITY:
1. Very poor: much worse... disabled after surgery.
2. Poor: worse after surgery.
3. Neutral: No improvement, or improvements offset by new problems.
4. Fair, some improvement, limitations are still serious.
5. Good, substantial improvement, some limitations.
6. Excellent: no limitations.

SATISFACTION:
1. Very sorry I had the surgery.
2. Somewhat sorry I had the surgery.
3. Too soon to tell, or I'm ambivalent about the surgery.
4. I'm somewhat glad I did my surgery.
5. I'm very glad I did my surgery.

Don't forget the detail update section below!

DATE UPDATED: 07/07/09 FUNCTIONALITY: 5 SATISFACTION: 5 [6 WEEKS POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: _________ FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [3 MONTHS POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: _________ FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [6 MONTHS POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: _________ FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [1 YEAR POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: _________ FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [2 YEARS POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: _________ FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [3 YEARS POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: _________ FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [4 YEARS POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: _________ FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [5 YEARS POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: _________ FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [6 YEARS POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: _________ FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [7 YEARS POST-OP]

6 WEEKS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ECT... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

3 MONTHS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

6 MONTHS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

1 YEAR POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

2 YEARS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

3 YEARS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

4 YEARS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

5 YEARS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

6 YEARS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

7 YEARS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

46 years old. 12-15 years of intermittent pain, 2 years with constant pain.

DDD, L4-5 and L5-S1, pain confirmed by discogram.
PT, ESI's, Facet injection and block, Acupuncture - all no help.

2-level (Prodisc-L) ADR surgery with Dr. Bertagnoli, May 26, 2009.

Currently taking Opana-ER (tapering off) and oxycodone

Last edited by treefrog; 07-15-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:02 AM

Sorry I hadn't posted sooner. I have all these notes from every day starting from the day of admission, but haven't had the time to transcribe them yet.

But, I am doing really well. The pain I had pre-op, in my back and leg is completely gone. I have different pains, that are mostly just uncomfortable. I have been able to keep my pain meds to the same level as pre-op. And I expect that shortly after getting home I will be able to start reducing them.

I have been getting out for walks every day, some longer than optimum, but none that have really put me out of action.

We have today and tomorrow here, then we leave for home early on Saturday. With the time changes, we get home Saturday afternoon, but it will be about 13.5 hrs travel time. I really can't wait to get home. I am trying to enjoy as much of Germany as I can, without taxing myself. So, Straubing is as far as we have explored, but it is beautiful here, and I love the relaxed pace we have been observing while here.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:39 AM

Default Hi Cathy!

I was just going to call you! So glad to see that you're doing well! Be careful on that flight home...I don't know about you, but I'm still having trouble with my feet and ankles swelling, and in the short flight from there to Paris, my feet swelled bo bad that by the time the plane landed, I couldn't move them...I was so scared that they were going to split open and I'd have little fountains of water spewing from them! I took the compression hose and used them like ace bandages to wrap my feet and then put a pair of socks over them. If you're having any problems with swelling, you may want to try to get some ace bandages for the trip home, just incase.

MRI 4/2008 shows bulging disc with annular tear @ 4/L5 and and complete herniation at L5/S1.

9/11/08 Laminectomy , successful to a point...relieved nerve pain, but after 4 months was still having severe disc pain.

Treatments tried: epidural shots, oral pain killers, NSAID's, TENS massage, chiropractic care, deep tissue massage. Oh, and plenty of our homemade wine!

May 26 2009, 2 level ADR, L4-S1, Dr. Bertagnoli, Straubing, Germany
Old 06-09-2009, 01:20 AM

Just a quick note to say I am home. The flight was not too bad. I ended up getting a first class seat on the flight from Heathrow to Raleigh. After realizing it was going to be very difficult to sit in coach, on the flight from Munich to Heathrow. I think it was worth the extra money. I was able to sleep for part of the trip.

I am doing much better than I ever would have imagined possible. I have distraction pain, but it is far more manageable than I thought. The only thing is just being uncomfortable most of the time, laying down or sitting. And making sure not to move the wrong way. I think I am doing pretty good with it. Though it is helpful that my sister is here helping me and doing things for me. I don't know how well I will do after she leaves, I'll have to rely on my boyfriend more, when he's home anyway.

Well, I don't have the time right now, to do much reading. But I hope everyone is doing well.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:27 AM

Hi Cathy

Welcome home

Please take it easy and we are fine.

Rest, Relax And Heal life is waiting for you.

All The Best

Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1
Old 06-09-2009, 04:49 PM

Cathy,

What a relief to be home, huh? Glad your trip wasn't that difficult and ditto on your pain. The whole process takes awhile so settle in and enjoy your new back. Keep us posted and let us know how things work out once your sister leaves. Just remember, if you can't do it, don't... nothing is all that important.

Dale