Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss Facet Joint Replacement for Spinal Stenosis in the Main forums forums; I was diagnosed with Spinal Stenosis in 2006 after years of back pain. I found a Clinical Trial for Facet ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2009, 04:08 AM

Default Facet Joint Replacement for Spinal Stenosis

I was diagnosed with Spinal Stenosis in 2006 after years of back pain.
I found a Clinical Trial for Facet Joint Replacement for Spinal Stenosis online. After 2 years in extreme pain.....epidurals...pain meds.....PT, ETC., I researched the study. Dr. John Regan was doing the study at Saint Johns Hospital in Santa Monica. ( There are studies being conducted all over) I contacted Facet Solutions who were sponsoring the study. I passed the preliminary qualification tests and was sent to Dr. Regan for more testing. I had the surgery on July 17, 2009. They did a decompression of L 3/4 and L4/5 after which they normally do a fusion. Instead, I received a new cobalt Facet Joint at L 4/5.
It is now 2 months later and I believe, guinea pig or not, that I have received a miracle. I no longer have ANY leg pain, which was the most crippling. I was housebound for 2 years. I no longer need a brace, walker, or cane. It will be a while until I can hike, dance or walk to the bay, but I never believed I would know a normal life again. I'm on SSI and Facet Solutions pays for whatever your insurance doesn't. Mine paid nada.

Facet Solutions, Inc.

http://www.stenosisrelief.com/
Old 10-02-2009, 06:31 AM
Administrator

Lisa, thanks so much for posting! We don't see many facet replacement patients yet... your story will give others hope some hope. The doctors I've spoken to about them are saying that with proper patient selection, the results can be amazing. I'm so happy to hear about your success. Please keep us posted!

All the best,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 10-02-2009, 05:30 PM

Default congrats!

Lisa,
thanks for posting this as I just heard from my OSS a while back that my facets have degenerated enough at L4 as well as L5 to prohibit ADR surgery and while I don't want any surgery now I was wondering about facet replacements should I need something like this.

Hope your recovery continually progresses and you're able to resume the activities dear to your heart!

thanks again for posting!
Old 10-02-2009, 07:28 PM

Lisa,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. Another miracle in the making for far too many sufferers. I hope your success continues and you will be hiking, dancing and such.

Off the topic - I wonder why Regan and not Delamarter is part of this study in Santa Monica???

Wishing you the best, Dale
Old 10-20-2009, 10:19 PM

great news Lisa so pleased for you and it sounds very promising for facet sufferes what a ray of hope. Will you know about the trial's conclusions to let us know? Mazzie
Diagnosed mild disc dehydration L4/5L5S1 and facet dengeneration L5S1 Facet Cyst L5S1 ADR Active C C5/6C6/7 Sept 08 reduction in pain gradually by 50-60% Buttock and heel pain remain . Meds Pregablin, Tramadol, Co Codymol, Voltarol
Retunred to work Jan 09
Old 10-25-2009, 09:33 PM

Exclamation

wow thats great...
C4-5: Mild disc height loss with central annular fissure. Small broad-based left paracentral disc protrusion. Moderate central canal stenosis-the disc protrusion abuts and mildly flattens the left ventral surface of the spinal canal.

C5-6: Disc desiccation with mild height loss.Diffuse discosteophyte bulge and uncovertebral joint hypertrophy, moderate central canal stenosis- Severe neuroforaminal stenosis bilaterally, right greater than left.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:41 AM

Default wow

Fantastic news!!

I guess Dr. R is no longer affiliated with Cedars.

May this pain relief be permanent.

ans