Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss ADR Surgery today in the Main forums forums; Just thought I would share my experience today. This morning (Wed.,6:45am) I had my 3rd ADR installed. I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 10:14 PM

Default ADR Surgery today

Just thought I would share my experience today. This morning (Wed.,6:45am) I had my 3rd ADR installed. I currently have a fusion at C6/7 (2/2002), (2) M6 at C4/C5, C5/C6 (5/2009 Stenum) and now a Prestige ST at C3/C4 (today 12/30/2009).

The surgery was outpatient with the same Dr. who did my 2002 fusion. The surgery itself was about 1 1/2 hours and I woke up about 9:15am and was home by 10:0am. I slept for about 6 hours since I've been home.

I feel pretty good just a bit cloudy. But I would imagine the Oxy 15mg I took is keeping any discomfort at bay. I have no nerve or muscle spasm at this moment. I hope it stays that way. Currently enjoying a chocoalte milk shake.

I am praying I get the same results from my fusion in 2002. I felt great after that surgery and never had a post op issues. But time will tell. Surprisingly I do not have a soar thought. I thought that up at C3/4 I would have. I did when I had C4/5, C5/6.

The Dr. told my wife everything went well. The disk was hernated into my spinal cord and the membrane was torn (I'll have to get clarification on that). He also said he did a thorough decompression in the foramen. And mentioned the alignment and placement was perfect.

I was a guinee pig I guess. This was my Dr's. first cervical ADR he performed. He had done lumbar but as with most surgeons in the states experience is hard to come by because insurance companies are not covering this procedure. The reason I went to him is based on my 2002 fusion. My first hand experience is that he is a wonderful, caring, and meticulous surgeon. He also helped out with all the costs. I feel I am very fortunate to have him and he is working with me regardless of going out of the country for my previous surgery.

Now we just see over the next 8 weeks if my Stenum ADR levels are OK. I have stenosis at formen's at each of the levels (C4/5, C5/C6). I'm praying they are pain free.

I am hoping 2010 is a bright year for me.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:51 AM

Default ?

Did you have to pay out of your pocket for this?

How old are you? just curious since you had to have 4 levels of surgery in your neck...

How did your neck get so bad?

Was your c3/c4 bad when you went to stenum to get the M6?
C4-5: Mild disc height loss with central annular fissure. Small broad-based left paracentral disc protrusion. Moderate central canal stenosis-the disc protrusion abuts and mildly flattens the left ventral surface of the spinal canal.

C5-6: Disc desiccation with mild height loss.Diffuse discosteophyte bulge and uncovertebral joint hypertrophy, moderate central canal stenosis- Severe neuroforaminal stenosis bilaterally, right greater than left.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:29 PM

Self pay I have BCBS, will file and sure I'll be denied. Cost for 1 level was less than half of what paid in Germany for 2 levels.

I'm 48 and just have dumb luck with my neck. Did a lot of stupid things growi
ng up. Fortunately all the rest of my cervical levels and upper Thoracic look good.

C3/C4 was bad when I had the M6's in. Long story on this one.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:07 AM

Default .

^ thank for the info...I hope you feel better and have a great 2010...
C4-5: Mild disc height loss with central annular fissure. Small broad-based left paracentral disc protrusion. Moderate central canal stenosis-the disc protrusion abuts and mildly flattens the left ventral surface of the spinal canal.

C5-6: Disc desiccation with mild height loss.Diffuse discosteophyte bulge and uncovertebral joint hypertrophy, moderate central canal stenosis- Severe neuroforaminal stenosis bilaterally, right greater than left.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:02 AM

Default Wishing you the best

I'm wishing you the very best recovery and hope the outcome is good. It sounds like things went well and I hope you will post and update us all on your progress!!!! I too am looking forward to a new year!

Dancing accident in 96. tried PT, acupuncture, pilates, pain mgmt. nothing worked. Epidurals, facet blocks, caudal blocks, discogram. Opiates for ten years, oral prednisone, toradol inj. & more.

Two level spinal fusion with BMS, cages, hardware. due to bone density problems from chemotherapy, they had to go in front and back. Surgery Nov. 6, 2010. So far no regrets.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:26 AM

Very insteresting story. Thank you for sharing.

2 M6 ADRs and then a DIFFErent ADR next to those not to mention previous fusion. how do you feel? You are brave to be your surgeons first ADR case. Sounds like the price was right. Please keep us posted.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:20 PM

Fuzzy,

"How do I feel?" That's a difficult question to answer, but seeing you asked.

I have handled my latest surgery (last week 12/30) pretty well so far. I've been at my desk working since Monday about 1/2 days. Don't want to get to optimistic, you never know when things will change.

As for pain, I am dealing with myelopathy issues which are attributed to my C3/C4 spinal cord compression. Also I may have overlapping symptoms from my C5/C6 Foramen, right side (Stenum ADR). So I have to wait and see what clears and what I am left with. The most difficult to deal with is a burning feeling in my right arm. I'm hoping things clear up so I have a better picture. As you know, with Spinal cord compression there are no guarantee's that things will get better.

From the emotional side, I am very upset. My C3/C4 spinal cord compression should have been dealt with back when I had my C4/C5, C5/C6 ADR's. Because it wasn't myelopathy got worse. I may be stuck with this for the rest of my life. I thought I did all the right things and trusted the best Dr.'s, but I made big assumptions and mistakes. So my fault.

The best decision....as you said "being brave and going to a surgeon doing his first ADR". I knew in my heart my Dr. was meticulous, caring, and patient. He was concerned for his patients and their outcomes. I just didn't follow my instincts early on. I bought into the whole "experience ADR" idea, that was a mistake. I would be so much better off physically and emotionally if I just went to him first.

Thanks for asking I had to get this off my chest.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp7959 View Post
Fuzzy,
The best decision....as you said "being brave and going to a surgeon doing his first ADR". I knew in my heart my Dr. was meticulous, caring, and patient. He was concerned for his patients and their outcomes. I just didn't follow my instincts early on. I bought into the whole "experience ADR" idea, that was a mistake. I would be so much better off physically and emotionally if I just went to him first.

Please explain what the first doctor could have done that stenum did not and why they did not work on your c3/4 when you got the m6, also how long did you wait?

Old 01-28-2010, 02:19 AM

I can't tell you why Stenum wasn't concerned with C3/C4. It's a question I may ask them one day.

I waited 7 months between surgeries. I started to pursue it at about 3 months. When my US Dr. seen my films there was no question with him. I would need surgery due to spinal cord involvement.

JKD seems like you have been at this for a while. I guess your not sure of the path you should take. This tells me your pain is manageable. If that's the case do yourself a favor, take your time and search every US Dr. you can and find one that you feel gives you the best chance of a successful outcome.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:12 PM

thanks for sharing your feelings and story about your recent surgery. I am about to experience it soon. I hope I can recover fast.. One of my relatives will under go stem cell transplant. I hope all goes well for him.

Last edited by leedavis; 03-23-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:29 AM

Default Wishing you well!!

Wow you are brave to be the first. I can relate to trusting your surgeon though and going through with it on trust. My second surgeon I trust and I think he cares about me for the right reasons. It makes the whole process so easy and good feeling versus dark and questionable. He has said something that I have to have hope for. He thinks the power of positive thinking is one of the most important parts. I hope the best for you! Think positive!