Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss Akkk I fell! also thanks to all who wrote in the Main forums forums; Thanks everyone who responded to my emotional posts. No one understands like people who have gone through it or are ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2010, 02:35 AM

Default Akkk I fell! also thanks to all who wrote

Thanks everyone who responded to my emotional posts. No one understands like people who have gone through it or are going through it.

I am happy to say I got a good mammogram report and in another year it will be my five year mark since my cancer battle.One down, one to go.

Two days ago I was walking in a nearby town and tripped on a sidewalk that needed to be fixed. I was totally freaked. I went right up to my HMO and they checked me all out and did xrays. It all looks good but boy am I sore!

It's now four months post op. (Anterior/posterior lumbar two level fusion with cage, screws, etc.) My pain has gotten so much better but this fall did not help. I was surprised my pt guy made me do all my exercises today and he doesn't want me to take any more time off (it's just two days ago that it happened).

I got a lot out of what people wrote to me. I would say I'm on half my meds now and less antidepressants as well. I do realize my anger at all the doctors who said I was crazy and had no idea what I was talking about has been an issue. I wish I had this surgery ten years ago, but it didn't happen.

In two weeks I will start a pt class at my HMO. So for now, I'm just trying to calm down from the fall.

Dancing accident in 96. tried PT, acupuncture, pilates, pain mgmt. nothing worked. Epidurals, facet blocks, caudal blocks, discogram. Opiates for ten years, oral prednisone, toradol inj. & more.

Two level spinal fusion with BMS, cages, hardware. due to bone density problems from chemotherapy, they had to go in front and back. Surgery Nov. 6, 2010. So far no regrets.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:30 AM

Don't remember if you mentioned this or not but after four months, you should be fused so falling would either break something or not. Nothing broke so you're OK, just bruised and freaked out.

Relax, reward yourself with some chocolate (V-day) and have a good day. If possible, soak in a hot sudsy tub if not contra-indicated.

Isn't it great to feel your bruises instead of your back!?

Have a good one, Dale

Last edited by dshobbies; 02-14-2010 at 03:34 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:50 AM

Default re falling

Don't know how you landed or what exactly you fell on re your body however you did the right thing by having yourself checked out.

Muscle spasms that try to right our bodies after taking a fall or even just getting jerked around a bit can really do a number on us in terms of pain or soreness however so can bruises and landing on sensitve body tissue so as Dale mentioned take it easy now that you know things have checked out OK via your post fall visit and reward yourself during your little recovery/rest period.

Your own body will be what tells you how you can progress re PT and so forth altho it's not unusual for the PT to not want you to lose time from your progress tho your body will know how it can progress. You'll see..

I don't blame you either for your anger re what you've been told in the past via docs and your spine tho remember this... you had surgery just recently and it appears you are healing well. Perhaps then was the very best time for you to have that surgery for whatever reason.

We do not know how we would have responded to whatever we may have done at some other point~ we only know how we progress at the present time to whatever we do.

Embrace the good that has come your way because you did this surgery now! I'm happy for you in terms of your success to date and hope the recent fall will not have set you back for long and you'll soon be over any pain it created.

take care and thanks for posting your most recent update
Old 02-16-2010, 02:43 AM
Administrator

You are a few more days out from the fall... I hope to hear that after some expected soreness, you are getting back to where you were before???? Update??
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 02-27-2010, 03:03 AM

Hey kiddo, I'm so sorry to hear about your fall...how are you doing?

I just sent you an email, before I saw this. Hugs and hot soaks. Traumeel cream helps the bruising, if you can find it in a health food store.

My surgery date is looming and we just got our tickets for our flight...terror is setting in We're going over your list of must-do's and have a growing shopping list ;-)

Take care of yourself, please!
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.