Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss Left leg problematic and disappointing in the Main forums forums; Just got back from European vacation and am very disappointed with my left leg. Though in some amount of pain ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2010, 03:58 PM

Default Left leg problematic and disappointing

Just got back from European vacation and am very disappointed with my left leg. Though in some amount of pain on a daily basis, it doesn't usually interfere with my life but definitely curtailed my activities while trying to see the sights. We had to limit EVERYTHING. I was in constant pain, often more than level 5 and even had to soak my burning ankle in cold water so I could walk the next day. Skin sensativity returned and putting on socks was painful.

I would have considered a wheelchair but not an option of uneven ancient cobblestone or dirt streets. Inclines, which have been a problem since my surgery, presented additional obstacles and all of Italy (not Milan) is mountainous.

Very disappointing and frustrating.

Dale

BTW, Mt. Vesuvius is an active volcano that is expected to erupt soon. So anticipated is this event that the government is offering 30,000 euros to anyone willing to relocate out of its destructive path!
Old 06-07-2010, 03:00 PM

Dale,

Why do you think you have nerve damage? It could still be some stenosis or SI joint or ligament issue?

4/08 Bonati Institute - redo of L5/S1 right
8/08 Bonati Institute - redo of L5/S1 left
12/08 Bonati Institute - redo of L4/5 right and left

9/09 Piriformis surgery to remove piriformis muscle causing sciatica
Old 06-07-2010, 11:50 PM

Rob,

Upon waking up from surgery, both of my legs were completely numb. Right leg came back quickly, left leg remained and still remains problematic.

I was told that during surgery, my nerve root was 'irritated'. Exactly what that meant -?????

My pm basically agreed. It's now been almost 5 years and at this point, any residual damage is probably permanant, especially, there's been no substancial improvement for 3 years.

My life is my family, friends and artistic endeavors, not very trying physically. Pilates, treadmill or swimming do not present any difficulties so the return of early pain was surprising... Very disappointing

Dale
Old 06-08-2010, 05:32 PM

Default re return of pain

Dale,
My symptoms after my 2nd surgery were arachnoiditis like in terms of pain and actually even before I started Neurontin I had nearly a year of relief from this type of pain after 5 years of it. I started Neurontin for some residual symptoms because of the location and have been on it since along with the very low dose of Methadone daily and basically my neuropathies were fairly well muted (guess those ESIs since 2001 helped greatly as well).

Skip to my bicycle riding up to 7 miles and daily for about a week on new bike and recurrence of symptoms with a VENGENCE!!! I was pretty shocked.

2 Toradol injections and about 6 weeks later I'm feeling back to normal tho a bit sceptical about getting back on the bike. Hmmm.. don't want this flare up again as way way way too limiting.

What I was wondering regarding your flare up if it was because of the long process with flying to Europe (or perhaps you have successfully done so previously). I just wonder if the all the preparation to leave, the actual whole process of traveling with sitting standing waiting and so forth didn't just aggravate your injury all to heck.

I know for myself if I sit as long as it takes to get cross country (East coast) I will greatly aggravate the nerve related pain as well as low back pain however if I lie down for the flight while I may be slow the first day I'm pretty good to go afterwards as long as I don't get a flare up going on.

If you've not tried a Toradol injection when you have a flare up I urge you try it even tho you may not think it will help because of the type of pain you have or the inflammatory mechanism however just give it a shot if you've not! (I had to do that rhyme)

Hope you're feeling better now and sorry your trip was interrupted by the increased pain. That truly stinks.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:06 AM

Maria,

I don't think this was a flare-up - I think this is the way it is. Since my surgery, even while on Neurontin and Lyrica, my leg posed problems. Despite pt, accupunture and now Pilates, my left leg is not nearly as strong or flexible as the right. My pt told me to exercise both equally and not try to overdo the left to catch the right or underdo the right to let the left leg catch up so that is exactly what I do but the weakness is obvious.

To this day I cannot walk long distances, times or stand in lines for any length of time - and that is exactly what we did in Capri, Pompeii, the Vatican, Lake Como (George says hi), Tuscany.... I was walking everyday, uphill -very difficult- and downhill, stairs, etc. without giving my leg any chance to rest.

Plane didn't present too many problems as we flew business class in bed seats, quite comfortable actually - but over 400,000 points.

At home, I know when to call it quits for a day. Abroad, it simply wasn't possible and there was no laz-y-boy in which to rest, but I didn't think it would present quite the difficulties it did if I took it slow.

Still, we had a very memorable vacation. Think we'll stick to cruising-maybe to Figi in two years or so!

The good news, the sensitivity is dieing down and the visable nerve damage seems to be lessoning. Don't know yet if I'll be left with anything risidual.

Dale
Old 06-09-2010, 01:51 PM

Default souns like

A good case of "overdoing"? I pretty much know what to expect from my back/legs re past experience and with long distance walking and inclines that took over a year to achieve the ability to not have symptoms that greatly limited me. Still at times this will occur w/walking tho I usually know when it's coming and ignore it thus the onslaught of symptoms (increased neuropathies, burning, horrendous leg fatigue (bilaterally).

Winding cobblestone streets would definately be difficult for me now tho as much because of my bilateral posterior tibial tendonitis than because of my back!

Moped/scooter/taxi might be the only way I'd have managed what you did no doubt...
Old 06-13-2010, 05:48 AM

Default Disappointed....

Dale, I'm sorry you were hurting so much on your trip. i'm six months post op and just did mt first x-country trip. travel seems just plain tough for all with back stuff. Cobblestone streets sound excruciating. Did you travel with lots of pillows? I always do this. I've done a lot of world travel in a lot of pain. I think I'm cooked for now.Cried myself a river in a lot of places and got stuck in Singapore literally couldn't move for over a week. I'm sorry you suffered and hope things are calming down now. I pretty much stay on ships due to my back now. The non American ones which are repositioning cruises are reasonable and have worked out pretty well for me.

I always give myself two days of nothing after I arrive somewhere and I've just had to make changes. hope your feeling better now.

Dancing accident in 96. tried PT, acupuncture, pilates, pain mgmt. nothing worked. Epidurals, facet blocks, caudal blocks, discogram. Opiates for ten years, oral prednisone, toradol inj. & more.

Two level spinal fusion with BMS, cages, hardware. due to bone density problems from chemotherapy, they had to go in front and back. Surgery Nov. 6, 2010. So far no regrets.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:43 PM

Thanks D,

I agree, sticking to cruising for awhile, that is, when we can afford it again.

Couldn't take extra pillows because airline rules between Hungary and Italy only allowed 1 piece of luggage per, couldn't even pay for extra baggage, just not allowed.

Feet & legs still on fire but slowly getting better.

Whole thing kind of makes you want to stick close to home, especially out of fear of getting stuck in Singapore - ouch.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:42 PM

Default 18 years later

Dale,
Maybe like me your pain will go away a significant number of years post your surgery. I am really amazed that I can now exercise and do things I couldn't do w/o serious nerve burning type of repercussion and am not taking any Neurontin. I exercise at least twice daily now and these exercises used to flare me up, walking used to flare me up, sitting as much as I do now used to flare me up... so many things.

The only thing I'm noticing is that toe thing and that's my right foot last two-three toes from the small toe and it happened last night after I was just sitting down to dinner at friends however it was a transient pain and went away after a few minutes. Thankfully.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:19 PM

Hi Orthoped and welcome to the forum. While I did have w disco/lamis this nerve damage occured during my 3 level ADR. Prior to this surgery I had only very minor nerve damage in my right leg. Upon awakening from my ADR surgery, I couldn't move or feel either of my legs. My right leg came back rather quickly but my left leg, even after 5 years, is all screwed up, still.

Maria, would be nice if I could look forward to more improvement. I'm not holding out any hope but will keep up my stretching and Pilates. Also recently took up bowling and tennis (Wii) and can't believe a workout could be so much fun. My kids tell me I can cheat but why?

Dale
Old 09-19-2010, 02:15 PM

Default re Wii

Dale,
My friend w/rare progressive form of MS and significant loss of use of right leg turned me on to playing a multitude of Wii sports and boy am I terrible at most!!! At first I threw my shoulder and elbow out on one arm playing something and skiing was really a hoot.. tho I just love how many different sports/active games there are to play! I swear I've gotten good workouts this way!

I find I'm able to sit much more now than in ages. Friday went out to Happy Hour and then later dinner at friends so sat about 4 hours off and on. Got up Saturday early a.m. and legs felt weak and back hurt on one side but then yesterday had about an hour ride to dh's grandson's first bday and back with no problems. That was really so nice to be able to enjoy the day and not even think about anything to do with my back!

In fact now it seems I'm rarely reminded of back probs. It's such a great change and it'd be wonderful if it would last tho I'll take it while I can get it!

A big part of why I was afraid to have more lumbar surgery hinged on the degree and amount of burning pain/neuropathies I had post my failed 2nd spine surgery and honestly I never thought I'd feel this well and esp. off the Neurontin.

I did leave my housekeys in my SIL's car yesterday tho so guess my memory is still a bit sketchy tho one less thing to blame it on!
Old 09-19-2010, 10:57 PM

Default my recovery

Post my 2nd discectomy (failed) at the 5 year post mark the burning pains were much diminished in my legs but still there in some places enough to need a medication (neurontin vs. elavil that I previously took in early to mid '90's). Now.. just don't have this type of pain and it was worth the wait. Truly. Or coincidental, I don't care.. feel so much better