Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss It's official Stenum Money gone in the Main forums forums; Quick overview, I had (2)M6 ADR's in 2009, I had the Ritter-Lang 2 level "drive thru ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 08:01 PM

Default It's official Stenum Money gone

Quick overview, I had (2)M6 ADR's in 2009, I had the Ritter-Lang 2 level "drive thru surgery" (40 minutes). The foramen at C5/C6 was not cleaned out so I continued having pain. One year later I had C5/C6 removed and fused. My U.S. surgeon mentioned it was beginning to fuse as well. That resolved most of my issues at that level. But I hung on to my M6 at C4/C5 even though the Foramen was not cleaned out there either, but not as bad as C5/C6.

Forgot to mention I had a Prestige ST at C3/C4 with no problems here in the States in April 2010.

So I went for my 1 year follow up with my surgeon. The Prestige ST looks fine, Foramen look good. But as luck would have it my C4/C5 M6 is fused over. So my 46K to Stenum is now officially gone. One disk removed, one fused over. Looking back should have just fused the 2 levels.

By the way I live on NSAIDs, that did not slow down the ossification process for me. For what it's worth, my surgeon did mention that their starting to see many ossification issues with low profile disks.

I do not notice any lack of movement with my now 3 fusions C4/5 - C6/7 and (1)ADR C3/C4. If the Dr. didn't tell me about the Ossification at C4/C5 I never would have known.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:53 PM

Default the ossification

So you have an ADR at C3/4, an implant at C4/5 that basically fused over the implant (with scar tissue/bone?) and then C 5/6 you're fused? And you have no mobility probs just some degree of pain which is alleviated by Nsaids?

Sounds like an Ok outcome considering the degree of work you've had done and sadly the amount of cash you put out out of pocket before getting to the place you have and degree of wellness/functioning of your cervical spine.

In the uncomplicated straight forward (whatever that might be) cervical spine scenario re 2 level disc replacement is 40 minutes extremely abbreviated? Sounds like "drive thru as you called it with no frills.

I hope overall you are satisfied with your cervical spine function and degree of discomfort/pain (that it's relatively low for all that you've been thru). Sorry to hear you went thru all that. Seems like you've had a lot done in relatively short period of time.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:25 PM

Hey cp - it's only money. (easy to say for some)

The end result is less pain and more functionability. I'm on nsaids too and consider my surgery successful but the nerve damage is a b ---. I'm functioning and so are you.

We can all go back and kick ourselves for not making a right decision or wishing we had done something differently. We didn't, it's over and we move on. Why, who, how, what, etc. simply don't matter anymore.

However, all said, it didn't have to be this way and you're angry at the lost money. More than understandable.

Too bad kicking oneself doesn't leave a dent or I'd get to whittle down my butt

Dale
Old 03-08-2011, 09:19 PM

There are more than a few Sternum nightmares out there. Reading all of these have convinced me if I decide to have surgery I am better off here in the US. All though the M6 does look promising.

Then I will read about all the US nightmares out there and swear off surgery for good

2009 MRI, Bilateral SI Joint Injection, PT, L4/5 Bi Lateral Facet Injection

2010 Acupuncture, Discogram, L4/5 and L5/S1 Bi Lateral Facet Injection, PT, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1 Fibrin Sealant Injections

2011 ?
Old 03-08-2011, 11:01 PM

Longroadahead,
Hate to tell you i had a US nightmare. with a great surgeon. DrRegan. He just did not want to admit his accidental damage to a certain nerve that helps a lot with respiration. Although i out of 2 discs were removed and the one painful upper upper one is no longer generating any pain,I was left with only 45% lung function. So we never know what will happen.
I have not kicked myself in the butt over that one as my spinal surgeon could have done a thoracotomy and worked on other discs that are problems in the same area.
Then i ended up haveing a partial thoracotomy to see what was going on with my lung anyway.!!!!
Keep plugging along.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 03-09-2011, 12:59 PM

Default aren't there others using M6

Mark, from what I have read, there are several others using the M6, right? I had made contact with a surgeon in California that was going to be doing some trails at Stenum. I had the paper work, lots of it, to send in for consideration. But after becoming a member here and reading all about the nightmares there, I trashed the documents. I must hold on to hope that something is in store for us here.