Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss i got the freedom disc in the Main forums forums; On march 16th 2011 i had the freedom disc replacement done on my lower back. The surgery was done in ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 10:06 PM

Default i got the freedom disc

On march 16th 2011 i had the freedom disc replacement done on my lower back. The surgery was done in sherveport, la. Dr. kerr is my doctor in this study. I am now close to two months after the surgery and i dont have the same deep pain i had before in my lower back but man i still hurt very bad. I still have my days where i dont even get out of bed. i have been taking lortab and percocet for the pain but they dont seem to do justice, i find my self having to take the med more often then they think i need it. Has any body had to go to pain management after having a disc replacment? i would love to not have to take meds but the farther along i get with this the more it seems that i may have to take meds. when i do take the meds i feel just fine, i mean normal, i dont ever take them to get a buzz but instead to just feel normal. Maybe i can get some good input from this post, feel free to email me @ los51881@gmail.com and thanks for all your time.

Trey
Old 04-29-2011, 02:55 PM
Administrator

What are your pain patterns before surgery, and after surgery?

Please make short, specific lists.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 04-29-2011, 04:55 PM

Hi Treylos and welcome to the forum,

I'd offer my congratulations on your 2 month old surgery but you're not happy. You're still in too much pain. The question is- is your pain different? Did you have radiating pain anywhere other than your back and has that changed? How many and which levels were done?

My back pain included muscles pulling very tight, in constant spasm... After my surgery, I wore a brace for several months which allowed them to rest and heal. Are you still wearing a brace?

Asking all those questions, the answer to your question is yes, many, many ADR and fusion patients need pain management following this very invasive surgery. True, some do quite well very quickly and some do quite well after about 2 years but most fall inbetween that. What does your doctor tell you?

Please give us more details and as I've said before, if we could harness the energy of worrying and panic, we could light the world. Hopefully, all your conern is premature as 2 months is still pretty early.

Dale
Old 04-30-2011, 03:22 AM

Hi Treylos,
I had the video assisted thoracic surgery to remove one extremely painful disc T7-8 and another T 11-12. The upper one was successfully removed then fused. Well 2 months later i still had the horrible pain, just less frequently. I don't know when i last experienced it , but believe me it is totally gone thankfully. Maybe at 4 months?? I was still recovering , it was a rough surgery for me, but the pain was gone , hopefully forever.
So hang in there as long as your doctor says it is normal at this point
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 04-30-2011, 10:42 PM

Default My pain after surgery.

Well now after the surgery my pain is quite different. Before surgery I had what I would call a deep constant pain just in my lower back and sometimes down my right leg. After the surgery the deep pain is gone but I now feel a very sharpe pain and the sharpe Pain mainly affects my right side of hip and down right leg. I can't even sleep on my right side cause it hurts so bad at times. The pain to me feels kinda like a pinched nerve. It hurts very bad when I drive or when I'm sitting down. I have a tendency to some what hunch forward when I drive or sit and that feels like my back is tring to pull apart. I have to drive 2.5 hours one way to my doctor, So needlsy to say I hurt very bad after making the drive to my doc. visits. I go back to doctor Monday for a post op. Visit and I'm gonna tell them about my pain and see what they say. I will let you all know how. The visit goes. I hope I answered your questions good enough for you all to understand how I feel. I'm only 29 years old. Some times I get so depressed about this cause I'm to dam young to be going through all this but it is what it is. Thanks for your imputs.

Trey
Old 05-01-2011, 03:44 PM

Trey,

At least you're going to the doctor tomorrow and should come away with a better understanding of what's going on.

What level(s) were done?

Please let us know what your doctor says.

Dale
Old 05-01-2011, 06:59 PM

Trey you are too young for all this pain. Let us know what the doc says tomorrow and drive safely
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 05-07-2011, 01:46 AM

Well I went to my latest dr visit and everything looks to be just fine from the exrays I took. I am now taking a steroid dose pack to help with the healing. And since taking that dose pack I feel alot better. So things are looking better. I will post any changes of how I feel.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:41 AM

I am glad to hear you are feeling better.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 05-07-2011, 03:59 PM

Good news. I know every little thing after surgery makes us go straight to the worst thing our minds can come up with - so I'm glad you're doing better. The road may not be easy but will hopefully get you to there.

Take is slow, Dale
Old 08-01-2011, 07:06 AM

I had a fusion at L5/S1 and it took about a year for the nerve pain in my legs to subside. I still have it on the bottoms of my feet though. My lower back hurts worse than before the surgery. Sounds like you are doing a bit better. Give it a good 6 months I'd say. Might be longer or shorter. Everyone heals differently.
Had a 360 lumbar fusion in May 2008 with cages, screws, hardware. It didn't fuse and one of the screws are loose. Also have a tear at L4 but they say it isn't touching the nerve. Have a bulging disc at T6 which causes middle back pain. I'm not even gonna mess with T6.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:28 AM

Well it's been a few years since my surgery. my back doesn't hurt as bad as it Did before the surgery. I wish the doctors could have done a better breakdown of my back problems and what all was causing my pain. Only after the surgery I realize now I was feeling a few different pains as a whole before the surgery. The disc replacement Did get rid of a huge part of the pain. I still have the pain on my right side. Like a needle sticking me. Doctor says it's my " facet" joints. I still take pain medicine. I hate every f-ing thing about pain medicine. I DON'T WANT TO TAKE IT. doctor says exercise to help build muscle stronger, I've done automotive collision work all my life. It's pretty labor intensive, I Love playing baseball and doing anything that can be done outside. I think I have fairly strong muscles in my back. But I still hurt!
Old 07-02-2013, 05:29 PM

I'm sorry you are still in enough pain to need pain meds. I have had several surgeries on all 3 parts of my spine and am still in pain as well. Some in my neck down to my shoulder blade and some in my lower back. when i do skip a dose of pain meds i am hurting pretty bad so i know i still need them and would very much love to be rid of them for good.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery