Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss Surgery Monday August 8th in the Main forums forums; I am having yet another surgery this coming Monday. Everything got scheduled so fast after my spine surgeon and I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 03:14 AM

Default Surgery Monday August 8th

I am having yet another surgery this coming Monday. Everything got scheduled so fast after my spine surgeon and I decided to do this. Actually it was me. We have tried everything to relieve my lower back/hip pain. Also leg pain and the most worry some to me is leg weakness. 3 sets of shots, physical therapy,time have all not helped.
My official consent form states: Lumbar Hardware removal, revision fusion thoracic seven through lumbar 4./laminectomy
I am fused through L2, but he may extend the fusion if he sees the need. I am ready to stop taking pain meds, but not sure i am ready for more surgery. Just for the pain to go away.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 08-05-2011, 07:05 AM

Default Re surgery

Judy,
Wishing you the best with your upcoming surgery and recovery. Please keep us posted on your recovery as you're able!
Old 08-05-2011, 01:15 PM

Thanks Maria

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 08-05-2011, 04:30 PM

Judy,

I have such mixed feelings about your very soon, upcoming surgery. Pain is a serious motivator and the sooner it's gone the better - BTDT but another surgery, again. I'm exhausted for you but hopeful your pain will be gone forever and you can once and for all, say good-bye to that 7 letter word.

I guess it's like my meds. I resent the need for them but am grateful for their help.

My thoughts will be with you on Monday and please post when you can.

Dale
Old 08-05-2011, 04:37 PM

Thanks Dale although i am very grateful for pain meds, they do nothing for the muscle weakness in my legs. Part of it is caused by my prednisone use a few years ago, but it is getting worse. People are always asking me if i need help getting up, it is embarrassing to me and makes me feel old.
My pain management doc told me she would advise against surgery if it was only the back pain, but the leg weakness and numbness , she told me i cannot let that go on.

I just hope this works, my legs are also in pain as well which is now affecting my left knee. I just feel like i am falling apart and hope to feel better once i have recovered.
CAn;t believe i am having another surgery on my spine.
Today though, is a beach day!!!!!
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 08-05-2011, 04:38 PM

Default re more surgery

Judy,
I do feel as Dale does re another back surgery/or surgery and I don't know that I would undergo another one so soon after any other surgery then again my last spine surgery was in '92 and I went until about 2005/2006 still contemplating more surgery/getting set up for more spine surgery and then finally feeling better enough that I'm satisfied w/the meds and how I function.

That isn't to say I rule out future surgeries as something might give and I feel that would be the right option for me as well so I guess that's where you're at right now and since you are there (mentally/physically) I really hope your surgery works out as you desire and the best possible outcome occurs!

I've been walking and exercising a bit more and the exercise seems to cause a bit of a stir down there as I can tell when I sit and get up my back is saying "thank you very very much!!!" How I wish I could sit and sit... oh well, I'm glad for what I can do now as it's an improvement over where I was when I wanted surgery.

And I guess that's what you're hoping for too .. improvement! Go girl!!
Old 08-05-2011, 04:59 PM

Thanks Maria,
I have had a lot of surgeries in the last 4 years. I think this is # 12, but not sure. Some have had no choice but to be close together.
I could deal with the pain, but i can't even figure out how to get on the floor or how to get up once i am there, my legs are that weak.!!! That is what worries me, if it is not my spine, then what is it??
I am hoping for some relief.
Are you in San Diego today, i am planning on the beach in a few hours!
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 09-12-2011, 07:53 PM

Default dyneses

Had my dyneses operation in March 2007,had NO physio,but all seemed to be ok. BUT!!!! its all going pear shaped,after sitting down for only a minute i cant straighten up. Lots of pain down my left leg and numbness. Made my mind up im having it taken out,as i dont trust the procedure. Screws are becoming loose and nerve damage is taking effect. 1 word of advice DO NOT HAVE DYNESES!!!!! My research has been intensive.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:07 PM

Smile

Hi and welcome
Andy
i had to look up the dyneses system as i had never heard of it. I have low bone density issues so i would never have been a candidate for it anyway. As i was looking it up , i saw a lot of unsatisfied customers as yourself
Do you have to get a fusion now? i just added to my long ,long fusion with one of L3 and L4 so now i am fused from C4 thru L4. I've had lots of spinal problems and have had 6 spinal surgeries, but not really any problems with my fusions. I am sorry for all your pain at this time. Is this worse than your original pain that required surgery? just curious.

I saw my wonderful spine surgeon yesterday and did not write down my questions so i did not remember to ask him a thing!!!So mad at myself. He first asked how i was doing as he was the first person i saw after jeff left me 2 weeks ago. He is really concerned and then asked about each of my kids, gave me some advice that i just have to be a rock for the kids. TEll them that i will never leave them, which is what i immediately told them all. I repeated to Becka (16) yesterday as she was having a meltdown. Then we went on to look at some of last visits xrays. He told me that my body will be more inflammed do to my stress and wants to wait a few more weeks before deciding on shots as i did see some improvement in the last 2 weeks. I also saw some backwards movement too. So i will see him again in 3 weeks and then he will decide on more injections. Then he told me he would always be here for me, would never leave me for another women!! WE talked about church and religious beliefs as Jeff had just started going to church this year and did the exact opposite of what any religion would teach.

life goes on one day at a time!!
judy

i'm going to try really hard not to misplace my keys today

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 09-13-2011, 04:26 PM

Hi Andy and welcome,

Please start a new thread and tell us about yourself and your circumstances.

It was a dyneses radio commercial that actually started me on the road to ADRs. I looked it up on the internet and found a somewhat local doctor who suggested ADRs and definitely not dyneses. The rest is history.

Judy, glad your doctor recognized how emotional turmoil is taking it's toll on your back. But then again, you were looking forward to getting some relief which I guess will now have to come from you! Listen up lady - even your doctor is telling you to slow down though putting in terms of too much stress. I know staying strong for you kids doesn't mean you can't depend on them for easing your physical responsibilites. They are aware and to some degree, it's a two way street. You cross emotionally and let them cross physically. Hey, I like it!

Dale
Old 09-13-2011, 04:45 PM

DAle i really am laying around as much as i can . i also only walk my dog when i feel pretty good and have the time. The reason i go out so often is for my medical appointments. My back is the most difficult, but i still have many more issues. My stomach and intestines are suffering from stress too.!!!
Three years ago when my job ( well my supervisors) were causing so much stress my endocrinologist asked me first if i had to work, i told him yes so he told me I HAD to find another job., So i do know that stress with my messed up endo system is a bad thing. Now that I have adrenal insufficiency it even more so effects me as i don't make the hormones that deal with stress. My spine surgeon knows this and mentioned it is even worse for me.

The other problem with not getting the injections next week is my daughter will be in school and she has classes on Wednesdays. I will have to beg neighbors, well only one i can ask and then not many other choices for drivers. UGHH
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 09-13-2011, 04:52 PM

Or you can tell Jeff his daughter needs a ride and now would be a good time to start being a better father!