Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Community Support - NSR
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Community Support - NSR Discuss Distraught over friend's cancer progression in the Main forums forums; Hi all, We have a very dear friend who was diagnosed with lung cancer over 4 years ago. He has ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2009, 02:11 PM

Default Distraught over friend's cancer progression

Hi all,

We have a very dear friend who was diagnosed with lung cancer over 4 years ago. He has never smoked a cigarette in his life. It's pretty amazing he is still around, for which we are very thankful. (having lost both my Dad and my brother to lung cancer, as they were gone 5 months after diagnosis) He has been through over 9 different trials of drugs over the years. He's of stubborn, never give up German descent. He has been able to give away 2 of his 3 daughters over this 4 + year time period, and hopefully, will bear witness to the birth of his first grandchild in March. I just found out this morning his cancer has spread to his brain. I am just sick with grief. They just left for a 2 hour consult with his doctor, so I should know a bit more after this appointment. I believe they are going to try yet another, stronger drug. Don't know the name of it yet. He is such a fighter. It just has not entered his mind to stop fighting and enjoy what remaining time he has left, with perhaps some better quality of life. He's a bulldog, I tell you. Anyway, I would just like to request prayers for him to any of you who are of such a persuasion to pray. I firmly believe this is what has kept him alive so far. His name is Terry. Thank-you for letting me express this here.

Cindylou
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.

Last edited by Cindylou; 01-20-2009 at 02:19 PM. Reason: add his name
Old 01-20-2009, 04:22 PM

Smile Prayers

Hi Cindylou

I will pray and I feel sorry for your friend, I totally understand. I also lost my Dad last June due to lung issues from smoking and his younger brother just passed in Dec from lung cancer. It not an easy thing to deal with.

Take care and be strong

Gil.
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1
Old 01-20-2009, 04:51 PM

CL, I will keep Terry in prayer. I will pray that his medical team will be able to give him the best quality of life. I believe in miracles and the power of prayer.

If you need anything CL, don't hesitate to email/call.
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:23 PM

Cancer is such a horrible disease. I am sorry for your friend's illness. I just lost a previous intern on Sunday. She was 37 years old and, leaves behind a 3 year old girl and an 8 year old girl plus her husband. We are all mortified, as we were very thrilled to have had her at our organization and, were looking forward to hiring her.

Take care CindyLou.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 01-20-2009, 05:29 PM

Hi CindyLou,
I believe in a God who still works miracles and have asked the Lord for a miracle for Terry and wisdom for his physicians. I also have a friend who has cancer and has been fighting it for 10 years. I believe his and others faith in God is the only reason he is still with us. He currently has tumors all over his spine and they were only able to partially remove them. He had to be fused from T/1-T/7 recently along with all of the chemo. He is also a fighter like your friend Terry. I will continue to believe with you.
Blessings,
Roblin
Old 01-20-2009, 06:07 PM

may the force be with terry and his doctors.
my prayers and positive thoughts are head terry''s way.
chuck
facet block neg
lost all appeals BCBS 5 months of that
3 surgeons later
surgery with dr. bertagnoli aug 2nd 2006 in Bogen Germany Successfully ProDisc-L L-4 L-5
Old 01-21-2009, 12:33 AM

I lost my best friend to cancer last year. It's been a difficult transition for me and I miss her everyday. She fought for 3 years. It's a horrible disease but keep this in mind - There is someone, somewhere who has survived every kind of cancer! If they can do it, so can Terry.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:55 AM

Thank-you all for the comforting words. I think what really has had me upset was when I talked to her last week, they were getting ready to fly the next day to Georgia for a friend's wedding. They were to be gone Wednesday until yesterday. So I went through all those days thinking how good it was they were able to attend, given Terry's condition. I proceeded to call her this morning to welcome them home, only to find out they never went due to his declining condition that precipitated the brain scan which then discovered his cancer had metastisized (sp) there. I could have comforted her all weekend, but didn't know. I especially appreciate all the prayers and hearing how some people actually do get a miracle. I needed to hear that. I will let you know how he fairs. Bless you all.

Cindylou
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:35 PM

I found out today that Terry is scheduled next Tuesday for a procedure called gamma knife radio surgery to treat the spot on his brain. It is a one time procedure, and then back to treating the lung cancer. Please pray for him on this day for his surgery to go well. Thank-you.

Cindylou