Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Once a spiney, always a spiney in the Main forums forums; I've got a ticket to LA/OC Thursday morning to visit friends. My status is wait-and-see for ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-10-2008, 05:57 AM

Default Once a spiney, always a spiney

I've got a ticket to LA/OC Thursday morning to visit friends. My status is wait-and-see for the trip because my lower back is flared up something fierce. These flare ups have been more frequent and intense over the past several months. I'm 99% certain it's L4-5 disc. I was forced into bed earlier today for relief. I don't want to be laid up at my old roommates house, being grumpy, pitiful and unable to do anything. What do you do?

I've got a pretty good idea how this is going to play out. In all likelihood I'll eventually end up completely debilitated. In the meantime I've got life transitions underway. If I can make it to LA, I've got a job interview on Monday morning in El Segundo. How do I deal with a potential employer and what do I tell them? "oh, I'm available and willing to work, although sometime in the next year I'm going to be writhing in pain and gone for an unknown period to deal with my back." I was established in my old job several years ago when L5S1 went, but this time I'll getting ready to start anew.

I also just got a good offer from a bay area company. With a severe recession or worse unfolding I'm extremely lucky for this, but I'm intimidated at the same time. I want to be up front with them if I decide to accept the offer. What should I tell them about my health. What is fair and ethical for them and me. How should this situation be handled?

2003 L5S1 Charite
1981 L5S1 Discectomy