Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss Once a spiney, always a spiney in the Main forums forums; I've got a ticket to LA/OC Thursday morning to visit friends. My status is wait-and-see for ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2008, 05:57 AM

Default Once a spiney, always a spiney

I've got a ticket to LA/OC Thursday morning to visit friends. My status is wait-and-see for the trip because my lower back is flared up something fierce. These flare ups have been more frequent and intense over the past several months. I'm 99% certain it's L4-5 disc. I was forced into bed earlier today for relief. I don't want to be laid up at my old roommates house, being grumpy, pitiful and unable to do anything. What do you do?

I've got a pretty good idea how this is going to play out. In all likelihood I'll eventually end up completely debilitated. In the meantime I've got life transitions underway. If I can make it to LA, I've got a job interview on Monday morning in El Segundo. How do I deal with a potential employer and what do I tell them? "oh, I'm available and willing to work, although sometime in the next year I'm going to be writhing in pain and gone for an unknown period to deal with my back." I was established in my old job several years ago when L5S1 went, but this time I'll getting ready to start anew.

I also just got a good offer from a bay area company. With a severe recession or worse unfolding I'm extremely lucky for this, but I'm intimidated at the same time. I want to be up front with them if I decide to accept the offer. What should I tell them about my health. What is fair and ethical for them and me. How should this situation be handled?

2003 L5S1 Charite
1981 L5S1 Discectomy
Old 12-10-2008, 05:15 PM

Jim,

Have you thought of drugs, a lot of them?

You question is twofold, first, how to deal with you pain/disability and the ethical matter of revealing your condition to a prospective employer.

Your pain - at this point in time, I think your only relief will come from drugs. You could have tried an ESI or possibly pt but your supposed to leave tomorrow. I recently posted to Maria about relief from a lidacaine patch. It's an adhesive patch you place at the point of pain. I was surprised at how well it worked. Don't know if it'll help but it's doable by tomorrow. You could patch by day and drug at night.

As for the job, I have been both an employee and employer and am also a resident of California. As an employer I always asked prospective employees if they had any medical condition that might impact their ability to perform their job. I don't know if this is still legal but if you're dishonest, you could lose a lot and it's not worth it. If they don't ask and you don't tell them, especially with jobs so hard to come by, should you tell them? If you don't, then get hired and eventually have to go on some kind of state aid, that comes out of my pocket. If you don't and eventually have to leave your job, even temporarily but for a long period of time, you'll cost your employer extra employment taxes and benefits as well as retraining costs. Businesses are suffering all over. Are their profits enough to allow for more loss?

If you don't tell them, end up having surgery and return to their employ, will they still value your position? Will they terminate you for fraud... no unemployment benefits? BUT, if you do tell them, chances are you won't get the job and times are hard.

I won't tell you what I'd do. This is your decision and one only you have to live with. Good luck,

Dale
Old 12-10-2008, 08:50 PM

Default my last few jobs

edited as necessary

Last edited by Maria; 05-17-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:00 AM

Dale-
Haha, I did ask my doctor to refill tramadol early which she did. The pain has calmed down enough, so I'll be on my way in the morning. I'm also readopting cautious habits I developed years ago to keep DDD pain down. I've packed super light. I'll only lift the luggage using my foot like a forklift. In most circumstances I've figured out how to keep from putting weight on my spine. It really helps.

Thanks for the input on employer perspective. I fully intend to disclose everything to the potential employers. These are big companies and they have told me a medical assessment is part of the screening process before hiring is finalized. The medical professionals will give their input. I'll be curious to see what is said about my condition. Red flags I"m sure.

Maria-
For the moment I'm doing better, still feeling it, but not driven into bed in defeat. I get along with most medications. I wikipedia'ed Toradal to see that it's an anti-inflamatory. I'm taking prescription feldene already but it doesn't seem to be helping like it did years ago. I've got a doctor's appointment on the 17th. I'll ask my doc about Toradal then.

Thanks for the feedback, it really helps when one is reeling.

2003 L5S1 Charite
1981 L5S1 Discectomy
Old 12-11-2008, 05:01 PM

Default also

edited as necessary

Last edited by Maria; 05-17-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:49 PM

Boy I know what you mean. Soft seats not good. As I type I'm sitting on a 3/4" binder stuffed with some paper to stiffen it up. I sit on it on the airplane, in the rental car and whereever seats are too soft, which is almost every where. I can tell that people who notice me sitting on it are wondering "whaaaat the...?"

It's nice to be here in OC. My friends are taking good care of me. I think I'll have a Tommy burger for lunch. Aaaahh. Rambling, later.

2003 L5S1 Charite
1981 L5S1 Discectomy
Old 12-12-2008, 10:38 PM

Ever try the tush cush, a cushion with the tail bone section cut out. The best ones I've found are sold at the Relax the Back store. Comes in 2 sizes for car or chair. Should be able to find one near you. Check their website.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:57 PM

Default re tush cush

Jim ~ Weds and Thurs were beautiful in SoCal.. I didn't want to leave for the east coast for these next 2 months! BTW I still like an In & Out burger now and again. I don't get the double double tho like I used to or the shakes

Last edited by Maria; 05-17-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to Eddie G

Take a small exercise ball and put it behind you in the car seat. Put the seat all the way back and lay it totally down. Lift the back of your shirt so the ball "sticks" to your back and it actually feels like it's decompressing you over bumps in the road.
Sometimes it needs to be adjusted by pushing the ball lower into the small of the back.

It works for me and I have as bad a back as anyone.
Epidurals and facet injections
5/15/06 Discogram confirmed L4-L5 DDD also an asymptomatic L5-S1 tear
10/24/06 L4-L5 Prodisc surgery with Dr. Goldstein
CAT scans & X-Rays show ossification
Trigger Point Injections, Medial Branch Blocks, Acupuncture, Weekly Deep Tissue Massage
10/27/08 Discogram (positive L5-S1)
11/25/08 L5-S1 fusion with Dr. Goldstein
FAILED BACK SYNDROME
Liberty Mutual WC