Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss New Here in the Main forums forums; Hi all. I am new here. I used to post on another spinal forum but the administrator was somewhat challenged ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2009, 03:35 PM

Default New Here

Hi all. I am new here. I used to post on another spinal forum but the administrator was somewhat challenged and I left. I would like to think that I added a little in to the support of other patients as I had well over 1,000 posts before I left.

I went to Stenum Hospital in October 2006 and had 4 level ADR surgery on November 4, 2006 which was successful. I had two Maverick Discs placed in my lumbar spine and two Prestige Discs placed in my cervical spine.

That's the long and short of it. I do recognize some of the names here that used to post on the other site so I hope to add my support and get some help if needed.

Terry Newton
Old 01-02-2009, 05:16 PM

Thanks Terry and welcome.

Sorry you found the other forum a little difficult but we appreciate any post you have to offer. I'm very glad to hear you had a positive outcome from your Stenum surgeries and hope all your spinal problems are 'cured'.

Happy New Year, Dale
Old 01-03-2009, 12:05 AM
Administrator

Terry, welcome to the forum.

Your case is somewhat unusual.... did you have both cervical and lumbar surgeries in the same day?

I know a few people who've had it done this way... only at Stenum. Other surgeons I know will do them a week or two apart if the patient is doing well, and some will insist that you recover physically from the first surgery before doing the second. (I mean a couple of months apart.)

I'm curious what they told you about added risks of 2 surgeries in one day?

Thank you for joining us here... I look forward to your input.

All the best,

Mark

PS...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry
so I hope to add my support and get some help if needed.
I hope that your relationship with iSpine is VERY one sided. May you only contribute and NEVER need any help. Here's to hoping that you will always be an EX-spine patient.
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 01-03-2009, 05:23 AM

I was in incredibly good condition going in to this surgery. Even though I was seriously impaired, from a dog/bicycle accident, I was very fit pre-surgical. I rode over 1,800 miles the season of the surgery, I was 163 lbs and 10% body fat at the time of the surgery, and, every physician that I knew, personally stated that it was an aggressive surgery, but knew me and that I could handle it. I also walked an incredible distance that year and worked full-time until I was operated on. I insisted on having the surgeries done at the same time. I did not have it in me to get back on a plane and go back to Germany for a second operation, I was off of work for such a short period of time, as I am an executive, that I had it planned to the T for my surgery and recovery, and, being a manager (control freak), I knew what I was in for.

I am definitely not the poster boy for someone to follow for the surgery or recovery. I had the surgery on November 4th, resumed full driving on November 18th after flying home on the 17th, drove 10.5 hours one way to Minnesota for Christmas, drove my Mother-In-Law all over creation the entire vacation, returned home 10.5 hours two weeks later, returned to work full-time at exactly two months to the date of the surgery, returned to Spinning as soon as I returned home and active snowshoeing, returned to bicycling in April and rode 2,500 miles the first season while healing from the surgery, rode over 2,100 miles this past season, etc. and have never looked back. My surgery was covered by the homeowners insurance, from a lawsuit, and I settled with BC/BS Medical for the full cost of the surgery, after they denied it 2 times, so I made money on the surgery.

Stenum was good to me both during the pre and post surgical care. I have heard many of the stories about Stenum but felt that I got great care from them. I also went around Germany as much as possible while we were over there. I was somewhat fatigued from having such an aggressive surgery but participated in many activities and treated it like a second honeymoon.

I also hope that I am not needing any more assistance as I have had my fair share of issues over the years with my spine.

Thanks for the welcome.

Terry Newton

Last edited by Terry Allen Blackburn; 01-03-2009 at 05:26 AM.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:35 AM

Hey Terry. Welcome and thank you for being my personal counselor.

Best - Allan
Old 01-03-2009, 04:08 PM

Post Welcome Terry

Hi Terry

Welcome to this site.
you have help me in the past.as MANGO.

Thanks Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1
Old 01-03-2009, 06:22 PM

Gee Terry,

I'm exhausted just reading your post. Good for you, though not all share your quick, or should I say, super speedy quick, recovery. I guess the usual advise of taking it slow didn't apply to you. I suspect normal 'rules' and obstacles don't apply to you either. If you can't push them out of your way, you just hurdle them.

At the end of your days, I'm betting you'll have completely used up your body as in a recent Joke post. No 'Handle with care' for you.

I am confused about one thing, your name... Terry Newton yet you post under TAB. Care to share, or not?

My best, Dale
Old 01-06-2009, 12:36 AM

Post Getting in Shape?

Hi Terry

How did you get in shape prior to surgery with pain? Were you on pain meds, or just will power.
I am trying to lose 20 + lbs. Ride a stationary bike, walk on tread mill, lift some weights arms and legs no back stuff.
I was a very active athlete maybe this is why I have such a bad spine?
If I do to much well the pain

What do you think

Thanks

Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
Old 01-06-2009, 02:33 AM

Glad to see you here, Terry!
Old 01-11-2009, 03:10 AM

Default So happy I found you!

Terry,
A little bird told me you might be here! I am so glad I found you. I also left the other site, after everything that happened... I love all the great advice you give and think you were the backbone of the other site (pun intended), or at least the lumbar portion From messaging I have received, I think a few more are on their way over.
I also want to know how you stayed in such good shape with the pain. I am trying (again) to get in better shape pre-surgery. I am not overweight; but am out of shape. I was very active prior to surgery. I am still somewhat active (2 kids to chase after); but not where I would like to be. I worked out on Thursday and am still paying the price. My pain is unbearable right now, I can barely move. I was thinking of seeing if the dr would prescribe me more pain meds, while I get in shape. Any advice would be appreciated.
Glad you are here and can't wait to hear from you.
Kathy
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 01-11-2009, 05:18 AM

Red face sorry you are in pain

hi kbear
i am so sorry you are still in pain, I wish their was a magic wand for all of us.
I have been reading how stem cell may help several billion people in this world.
Including spine patents,what do we do?
I am also in great pain and just working through it
Be strong. Be positive. get mad.just be glad you are here.
It could be a lot worse that is what i keep telling myself.

Best wishes

Gil
L5-S1DDDDD
C3-C4 limited DDD
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
Old 01-11-2009, 12:47 PM

Thumbs up

welcome terry
it will be very nice to have you on board. you have a lot to offer and we all look forward to hearing from you.
chuck
facet block neg
lost all appeals BCBS 5 months of that
3 surgeons later
surgery with dr. bertagnoli aug 2nd 2006 in Bogen Germany Successfully ProDisc-L L-4 L-5
Old 01-14-2009, 06:24 PM

I guess I should have checked this before today but I have been unsettled yet with the other forum. I was asked to come back but I am really feeling burned over what occurred.

As far as the name change it is for political purposes. My real name is Terry Allen Blackburn from my birth family. I was part of a group of three that was born in to a family that imploded. My father abandoned us after having all three and my mother was put in jail for shoplifting. We were taken away and placed in foster care where we were adopted by an older man and woman who raised us. My adopted name became Terrance Lee Newton and my sister's names changed as well. My father died in 1988 and then my mother died about 8 years ago. While looking through the house, we found birth records with our real names prior to adoption. We tried to find our real family but, believe they may be deceased by now as we are all in our 50's. I use this name from time to time when I do not want someone to find out my identity. Due to the sensitive nature of what I do for a living, and, for other personal reasons, I probably should have never given out my real name on any forum. If someone were to Google my name they could come up with postings that I put in to the different forums that I have been on. So this is why I am posting like this for now, though I will sign my name as people know who I am.

As far as getting in shape prior to the surgery I can only say the following:

I believe that aerobic conditioning is the key answer to many fibromyalgia symptoms, pain control, weight loss, decrease in depression symptoms, and, general well being. With that said, it is important to just start doing something, no matter what. Many who know me know that my accident was caused by a German Shepherd/Rottweiler mix dog, that weighed in at 100 lbs., and he collided with the front wheel of my bicycle, causing me to catapult end-over-end, with my feet still attached to the pedals, and crash on to the asphalt of the street. It was like being picked up by a professional wrestler and body slammed in to the street with no cushion of a boxing/wrestling ring. I shattered my clavicle and destroyed my already fragile spine. I had already ruptured 4 discs, over the years, in my spine prior to the accident. The accident just killed what was left of the discs. I have been a long-distance cyclist for many years and have worked out solidly since I was 20 years old. In spite of the pain, when I was hunched forward on the bicycle, the nerves were alleviated in that position, and I could ride. In fact, the more I road, the better I felt. I kept this up all the way until the surgery. I road 1,800 + the year of the surgery, mowed my lawn by hand every 4 days for the whole mowing season, walked at lunch time at work, and whatever other exercising I could get away with. I stayed in great shape till the surgery and weighed in at 163 Lbs. and was 10% body fat. Even though I was on pain medication, prior to the surgery, I was able to maintain, at a very small dosage, due to the endorphin building from the solid aerobic conditioning. I think, no matter how bad you hurt, that if you do some low to no impact conditioning, you can benefit your situation.

Obviously, this plan worked, as I went to work at two months post op from 4 level disc replacement, and road 2,300 miles the season I was healing from this very major surgery. I am a person who pushes myself and refuse to give up.

I am happy to be posting somewhere, and hope that I can add value to this community, as I tried to do with the last forum I was with. If there are any other questions, please feel free to ask away.

Terry Newton
Old 01-14-2009, 06:51 PM

Thumbs up Hey Stranger...

Hey Stranger ,

Good to see you here. Things have been busy, so I have yet to post much.

This man, Terry, is a machine. He bikes more than I drive.

Dr. J
Old 01-15-2009, 12:00 AM

Hi. I'm also new here. It looks like will be a mass migration of information seekers. From what I've read of the posts so far, all I have to do is resist the urge to type "poopy" in another form and nothing will get edited, deleted or closed.

Terry and Dr. J are two of the most well read, articulate and helpful individuals I've had the pleasure to "meet". I hope everyone here gets as much from their knowledge and experience as I have.

By the way guys, my wife has decided on a single level ADR at C5/6 in lieu of fusion.

I have an appointment with a German spine surgeon on 02/07/09 to see what can be done with my issues. I wonder if they can implant a slinky instead of an artificial disc. It may not do much for stability but what a blast going down staircases, eh?

Thanks for all you do,

Bob
04/07 Recurrent Disc Surgery L5/S1
3 Ortho and 1 Neuro Surgeon, 3 MRIs, 1 EGM, 1 Myleogram & 11 EDIs later:
03/27/09 Maverick ADR at L4/L5 & L5/S1
03/27/09 The Lord and Dr. Ritter-Lang returned my life to me.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:15 AM

I hope I will be forgiven for digressing from the thread:

Bob:
I was fantasizing about being able to do a 360 with my cervical ADR--that would have been neat for any future grandchildren to have eyes in the back of my head, so to speak! Oh well, what I have is good!
Old 01-15-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdoc714 View Post
Hi. I'm also new here. It looks like will be a mass migration of information seekers. From what I've read of the posts so far, all I have to do is resist the urge to type "poopy" in another form and nothing will get edited, deleted or closed.

Terry and Dr. J are two of the most well read, articulate and helpful individuals I've had the pleasure to "meet". I hope everyone here gets as much from their knowledge and experience as I have.

By the way guys, my wife has decided on a single level ADR at C5/6 in lieu of fusion.

I have an appointment with a German spine surgeon on 02/07/09 to see what can be done with my issues. I wonder if they can implant a slinky instead of an artificial disc. It may not do much for stability but what a blast going down staircases, eh?

Thanks for all you do,

Bob
Hey Bob, glad to see you here too! Speaking of writing 'poopy' I did just that, and got edited on the anal-forum. Then, lost my editing 'privileges! I think we are just the first wave moving over here, lots more to come. Then the whole 'old gang' will be here. Hope they don't mind us moving on in I promise, we will try to be good here and not stir up 'poopy' Do I need to put that in blood?
See you around,
Kathy
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 01-15-2009, 04:13 PM

Kathy and others,

Explitives notwithstanding, we don't mind your moving in at all. We're here to support, comfort and educate while seeking the same. The more the merrier. By the way, many of us experienced the first round of 'editing' or were banned from another forum... that's why Mark started this.

I don't think you'll be disappointed again

Dale
Old 01-15-2009, 06:12 PM

Cool Another refugee

Hi, it's Adrienne from the ADR forum. That busy little birdie told me everyone was over here and over I came. It did seem a little quiet over there.
I changed my name because everyone else has and I thought there might be a reason to do so. Don't know exactly what happened at the other forum but whatever, I like the color scheme better over here.

Nice to see everyone again!

Adrienne
Old 01-15-2009, 06:23 PM

not me i'm tough same name on all forums.. LOL
chuck
facet block neg
lost all appeals BCBS 5 months of that
3 surgeons later
surgery with dr. bertagnoli aug 2nd 2006 in Bogen Germany Successfully ProDisc-L L-4 L-5
Old 01-15-2009, 06:58 PM

Thumbs up I'm here to help...

Great to see everyone! I'm excited to once again support patients...here's to building a strong community that is first and foremost about issues that matter to spine patients.

Thanks Mark!

-Dr. J
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:07 PM

Default Happy to see ya

Terry,

It's good to see you!!

Talk soon.........

Todd
Old 01-15-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshobbies View Post
Kathy and others,

Explitives notwithstanding, we don't mind your moving in at all. We're here to support, comfort and educate while seeking the same. The more the merrier. By the way, many of us experienced the first round of 'editing' or were banned from another forum... that's why Mark started this.

I don't think you'll be disappointed again

Dale
Dale,
I had kinda thought that there may have been issues before on there. I had been looking at old posts and saw where some members were 'banned'. I wasn't sure what it was all about and never asked. So you guys were the first trouble causers? HeHe Thanks Mark for starting this forum and for all the work you have done for spinal patients! From looking at Terry's post, I think the other forum is now a ghost town, he has a cult like following! Just kidding with you Terry. You are great guy and always willing to help out any of us. Happy posting to all, Kathy
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 01-16-2009, 12:28 AM

I didn't even think about a name change. trkdoc715 just doesn't "sing".

I do wish the other site well. Hopefully they'll remember what this is all about and realize sometimes great truth and direction can come from opposing opinions.

It certainly is great "seeing" all of you!

Bob
Old 01-16-2009, 01:50 AM

Quote:

Thanks for all you do,

Bob
Bob:

I see you brought over your amazing sense of humor. The slinky joke was a riot. I was rolling on the floor laughing.

I'm glad that you and your wife seem to be heading towards some solutions for the spinal issues.

I am glad that we landed at a place that will support us being supportive.

Terry Newton
Old 01-16-2009, 02:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to Nairek

Hi Terry,

Glad to "see" you again. Sorry I haven't gotten back to you via e-mail. Things have been VERY crazy here.

Karin
Old 01-16-2009, 04:32 AM

Too bad we can't all have a glass of wine to toast to new beginnings and opinions being openly shared. Here's to you anyway!

Justin you hit the nail on the head in your post.
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 01-16-2009, 10:12 AM

Terry,

I'm glad I was able to bring the humor with me as well. I was worried Harrison would try to claim that as copyrighted property of his forum and file an injunction in federal court prohibiting me from using it.

I'm so glad Mark has provided us a place to share information. I've also noticed he has a pretty good sense of humor as well. This will be fun!

Bob
Old 01-16-2009, 03:56 PM

Terry,

Need your SUPPORT . Would you read my thread New Here - Need some help guys. Thank you !

Sandy Wade (Sandra L on other site)
Old 01-16-2009, 04:09 PM

Wink glad to see you

Hi Terry,
I am here too. Another Birdie told me to find you here. My name will remain the same too. I hope you are doing better????
Phylly
Old 01-16-2009, 10:55 PM

Welcome all. Life is good with friends. I will check out your thread Sandy.

Bob:

I'd be careful about suggestions. You just might be served with some legal documents this week.

Terry Newton
Old 01-17-2009, 04:32 AM

Terry,
Welcome to this site. You have helped me a lot in the past on the other site. I am glad I found you and Justin and many of the others.
Roblin
Old 01-17-2009, 07:26 PM

Terry,

Excuse my using your thread. And thanks for getting back to me.

Roblin,

HI and WELCOME! - not really a new member, but a ghost from the past!!!

Thanks for the PM, I'll send my response from here.

Sandy
**Dec. 2007 numbness and weakness in left arm/thumb, x-rays, MRI, discs at C4-7 pushing on spinal cord, fusion or ADR out of country
**April 7, 2008, discogram at C3-4, surgery 4 levels, Prodisc-C, Dr. Bertagnoli, Germany
Old 01-22-2009, 10:26 PM

Hi Terry its Maz I posted my story and had to have a llie down afterwards!!! I think its more of an epic than Gone with the Wind! Yours is much more concise!! Great to find you I am working out how to post questions, is it on this thread? I always have lots for you!! You are such a support to so many people.

KBear when will you have your op??? Marion (Maz)
Old 01-23-2009, 03:03 AM

Maz:

Ask Away!

Nice to see you posting here. I checked the other site and it is looking a little barren. Of course some are posting on both sites at the same time. I say whatever makes you feel supported is absolutely A-OK. Most of us suffer so with chronic pain that you have to get the support from wherever just to get by.

I am hoping, that through our help and support of each other that, we do more than just get by. I am hoping that we can all have good qualities of life in the process.

Hang in there Maz.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 01-24-2009, 12:42 AM

I don't know Terry, I've seen some stimulating discussion concerning comfortable footwear and dental hygiene (possibly from the Burton Report) on that other site lately. How could that be considered barren?
Old 01-24-2009, 02:45 AM

Quote:
I don't know Terry, I've seen some stimulating discussion concerning comfortable footwear and dental hygiene (possibly from the Burton Report) on that other site lately. How could that be considered barren?
Feet and teeth sometimes go together. Usually seen in an old Billy Jack movie or Bruce Lee.

What titillating conversations will occur in the future I wonder.

Of course I do agree with the feet issue. There is some absolute truth to, high impact footwear causing some continued spinal injury, due to the impact. I am getting more involved in the continued wearing of MBT footwear. Being a lumbar ADR recipient, I cannot afford impact on my lower spine. I wear the MBT's, which mimic walking in sand, and take away all lumbar impact from the walking.

Check out the concept here:

MBT Shoes ? Home of the Anti shoe

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
Bicycle Accident 2004
Old 01-24-2009, 02:34 PM

Terry,

I agree with the footwear importance. I've been gelin' for quite some time and it's helped a great deal in slowing up the gradual increase of pain level each day.

I had asked for a pair of MBTs for Christmas but all I got was a stupid tie with glow-in-the-dark snowmen on it..........

How have your facet injections worked out?

Bob
Old 01-24-2009, 04:20 PM

I am feeling much better, not perfect, but better. I think my problem was that my normal Physiatrist was on vacation so I had her partner do the injections. He is not as skilled as she is nor, does he know my history like she does. Dr. Naylor is a master with a needle. Her bed-side manners are fabulous as well. I am very impressed by her and her husband, who is my medical director, for the program I run. They are both fabulous physicians who truly care about the patients they see. So, while I have some relief, it is not perfect, and may need to be repeated in the future.

I cannot stress how great the MBT's are. I have two pairs of them currently and am waiting on a brand new ordered pair. This is the link to the new shoes I ordered:

MBT Antishoe - Product List Look up the Tembea Mink which is the brown colored shoe.

I would also encourage that others look in to the purchase of a pair if you have lumbar issues. They may not win a fashion contest but, I am personally too old to care what people think. I have to focus on what mechanically works for my spinal condition. They do take a breaking in period. It is recommended that you wear them an hour the first day and gradually increase the time that you have them on. I pretty much walk exclusively with the shoes to reduce the pounding impact on my lower spine.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
Bicycle Accident 2004
Old 01-24-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Terry,

I agree with the footwear importance. I've been gelin' for quite some time and it's helped a great deal in slowing up the gradual increase of pain level each day.

I had asked for a pair of MBTs for Christmas but all I got was a stupid tie with glow-in-the-dark snowmen on it..........

How have your facet injections worked out?

Bob
Nice gellin' visual... I love those commercials!
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 01-24-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I have read over there too, looks pretty dead. Think anyone has realized what has happened? Or to pride full to give a hoot?
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 01-25-2009, 03:36 AM

I gave a heads-up to Rich (Builder), who's currently in Malaysia for a 2 level C - ADR.
He had no idea everyone had left the other board.
He's doing great, btw. One week out and he's out with the wife doing the town!