Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Yet Another Immigrant in the Main forums forums; Hi, I introduced myself very briefly on someone else’s thread so I thought I do it properly . I’m ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2009, 09:23 PM

Cool Yet Another Immigrant

Hi, I introduced myself very briefly on someone else’s thread so I thought I do it properly .

I’m Adrienne, a refugee from The Other Site. I live in California with my husband and two sons, aged 18 & 20.

Had mild back pain and mild toe numbness while exercising for many years but never really paid attention because it would stop the minute I stopped moving. Two years ago the leg numbness (both legs) and back pain increased to the point I hauled myself into the doctor. My husband is an MD, so I had every test imaginable, MRI’s from stem to stern , CT scans. Then they tested for neuro diseases to circulatory diseases, viruses, etc. All negative.

So it was back to the back. Had a discography which showed a large tear at L5/S1. Everyone agrees that it accounts for the back pain but the leg numbness is another matter. Maybe, maybe not? (I should also add that I have an extra vertebrae below that disc which doesn’t move and that is likely why the disc blew. There is also a pars defect at that level, no slippage and mild facet arthritis. )

Two years later: I’ve been to four surgeons and have four opinions.

Surgeon #1 “Your scans look great. Hang out for another year and see if anything definitive emerges.”

Surgeon #2 Either fusion or ADR but I’d suggest ADR because the recovery time is quicker.

Surgeon #3 You look awfully mobile to me but if you insist on having surgery, have a fusion because you have facet arthritis. You actually don’t meet the inclusion criteria for ADR.

Surgeon #4 I’d recommend a fusion. The ADR is still new and we don’t have long-term outcomes. At L5/S1 you shouldn’t notice any lack of flexibility. Your other discs are healthy and should hold up for a long time. If they do go, the surgical technology will be much better by then.

So I’m deciding between
Hanging out, maybe trying a chiropractor.
Fusion
ADR

I’m currently leaning towards the fusion. But ask me again tomorrow.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:42 PM

Hi One and welcome,

So you're on the fence. There's a lot to be said for all your arguments except seeing a chiro. Maybe physical therapy is a better choice. I had a recent conversation with Mark about his cervical issues. He has chosen to postpone his 4 level surgery.

I pointed out that a comment I made with just about all my surgeries is that I wished I had done it 5 years earlier, basically suffering needlessly during that time. I also pointed out that as we age, it takes longer to heal, so the sooner the better.

He sited functionality. He's functioning fine and with an unknown outcome, why chance it.

Back surgery is huge, altering your spine forever. You can't go back and undo it. You choose your doctor carefully, decide on which surgery is best for you, then hope for the best. Putting it off when you're still able to live your life fairly normal makes sense.

So, if you're still functional and, with the help of meds if necessary,n living your life normally, you've probably got time. Post your concerns, read everything you can and if possible, find a doctor who's considered a 'heavy hitter', one who has a lot of experience in ADRs. If he says you're not a candidate for an ADR, then you're surgical decision is easy, minimizing your decision to timing.

I know I didn't clarify anything for you but I think you do have a little time to decide and do more research. by the way, have your tried Neurontin/Lyrica for your nerve pain?

Good luck, Dale
Old 01-18-2009, 02:05 AM

Hi ImpOssibleOne,

Nice to see you here. I guess the other forums are having their annual inquisitions.

Here would be my priorities, just my opinion.

1. Hang out - Good pain management, therapy, NO CHIROs, hang on and let nature take its course
2. Fusion

Of course I'm not feeling your pain, otherwise I might say

1. Fusion
2. Hang out - Good pain management, therapy, NO CHIROs, hang on and let nature take its course

Here's hoping the best for you.

2003 L5S1 Charite
1981 L5S1 Discectomy

Last edited by Jim M2; 01-18-2009 at 02:13 AM. Reason: I keep adding comments.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:20 PM

Hi Adrienne,

It's great to see so many have come over from the dark side.

From my and my wife's experience, I'd almost recommend a witch doctor dance around you with a dead chicken than send you to a chiropractor. According to several of our orthos, our conditions were worsened by the visits to the chiropractor(s).

My experience caused more pain and ultimately led to damaging the disc further as evidenced by both Xrays and MRI before and after treatment.

My wife's cervical rupture was worsened immediately after one treatment.

There has been a study done at the University of Illinois showing evidence of damage to adjacent discs when nothing is done to correct a degenerated disc.

Good luck,

Bob
04/07 Recurrent Disc Surgery L5/S1
3 Ortho and 1 Neuro Surgeon, 3 MRIs, 1 EGM, 1 Myleogram & 11 EDIs later:
03/27/09 Maverick ADR at L4/L5 & L5/S1
03/27/09 The Lord and Dr. Ritter-Lang returned my life to me.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:42 PM

Default Welcome

Adrienne,
I have had two discectomies to date and spent longer on the fence than anyone here I think with regard to progressing on to a 3rd surgery which could have been 3 level global fusion as recommended back in 1998-2001 or 2 level ADR during trials in 2003 or ADR at L4 and Fusion at L5S1 back in 2006.

I have not been working since 2000 and have found fair relief with pain meds and ESIs as long as I don't sit for long at all. It's a limited life but not one of terrible pain as I was dealing with for a very long time.

When the flare ups and the uncontrolled pain hits I tend to want to have surgery done because I think it could help. I also know that my spine is becoming worsened with time as I wait, at least as far as in progressive osteoporosis which could limit surgery at all for me in the future.

This could be good, it could be bad. Who knows. Luck of draw I guess as far as my own body/results.

I am not one who has had any spine surgery recently (last one in '92) so I know great strides have been made and there are surgeons and there are masters~ and of course there are fortunate patients whose bodies respond very well to the best surgical technique/mastery.

Should you enter into any surgical endeavor, pick a master and I hope that surgical skill/technique and all else utilized will match with your bodily ability to respond as desired to alleviate pain.

Glad you are here~ I understand the *waffling*
Old 01-18-2009, 04:59 PM

Adrienne,

Great to see you here! Personally, I would pursue the fusion/adr route and avoid the chiro route, especially HVLA. You have tears in your discs, and all the chiro in the world isn't going to help (sorry to be so blunt). I was in a similar situation before my ADR: I was doing PT like a mad man, and a surgeon told me all the PT in the world wasn't going to help in my situation. It's really hard to move to the "surgical intervention" stage.

Good luck and let us help you in your decision(s)...
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.