Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss So Many Revisions After Recent Surgery? in the Main forums forums; I understand that people who post here are often ones that are having problems and need help. My heart goes ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2009, 02:35 PM

Question So Many Revisions After Recent Surgery?

I understand that people who post here are often ones that are having problems and need help. My heart goes out to all of you. What a disappointment. After having so much hope that ADR's will give you a better quality of life and then learning that's not true - depressing.

Why so many revisions on lumbar surgeries that were just completed months ago?

Are the devices not the right size? Is that why someone said there appears to be more women than men? Or just a coincidence?

Are the devices not placed correctly?

Are the devices on the market not working well? Maybe the lumbar spine isn't an area for successful ADR's since they are required to support so much weight? If that were the case then lumbar ADR's in men should fail more often?

Are the doctors not good surgeons? Are they not good at screening patients? Not enough experience?

Are surgeons telling patients about the possibility of revision?

I didn't know and wasn't told that Prodisc-C puts pressure on facets which may cause problems later. Has anyone had to have cervical revisions?

So many questions? If the doctors overseas have been doing these surgeries for years (10-15 yrs?), why aren't there more studies on failures? If there are studies, why no significant improvements. Hopefully stem cell research will change DDD and eliminate the need for ADR's.

Enough already! LOL
**Dec. 2007 numbness and weakness in left arm/thumb, x-rays, MRI, discs at C4-7 pushing on spinal cord, fusion or ADR out of country
**April 7, 2008, discogram at C3-4, surgery 4 levels, Prodisc-C, Dr. Bertagnoli, Germany
Old 01-25-2009, 02:57 PM

Hi sandy,
I am asking the same problems at the moment!
I have a fantastic surgeon over here in the uk, hes one of the best and most experienced with ADR & Fusion techniques in the country, but Im still here needing revision surgery for both my fusion and my disc replacement, both of which had given me hope, both of which have made things worse! And I really think that in my case its been very bad luck, My prodisc is perfectly placed and yet in a very short amount of time it has caused terrible problems in my facet joints.
My fusion problems are more down to the fact that due to being congenitally fused below the surgical fusion site, I remain Hypermobile so the fusion will not set and leaves the hardwear at risk, i dont think that this could have been foreseen, maybe it could?
Im shocked to have found so many people who are also need revision surgery, and my heart goes out to everyone, its awful that your hopes for the surgery working can be very quickly shattered and then you realise that there are many more problems ahead. It Sucks!!
warmest wishes
sarah
Old 01-26-2009, 12:25 AM

I am saddened and concerned for all of you. To look to a surgery, that it is going to be the answer to your pain and suffering, and, to have it fail, is truly heartbreaking. I am hopeful that this technology continues to improve so that this type of scenario becomes less and less.

May God help the both of you (And great surgeons ).

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 01-26-2009, 12:33 AM

Default Reply

This is interesting. Ya see , I have been studying up on ADR for almost 1 year and I must have read about 40 to 60 patient outcome stories. Based on these readings , I've estimated that 60% immediately or eventually get 100% relief. The next 20% to 30% get significant improvement. The remaining 10 to 15% get no relief or even are worse off. So, this is why I am choosing ADR over fusion. If my cervical ADR fails to help, I can still fuse. I haven't read too many failure stories on any of the back forums I constantly peruse. Anyways, I can imagine it sucks to have any surgery only to be worse off. Good luck! I'm hoping for a 2/16 cervical ADR surgery. I'm looking forward to it. I cannot live life with my pain as it is.I MUST do something!! Risk is not something I fear given my current pain levels.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:14 AM

Steve,
i agree, most people do very well. It is a gamble that is worth taking when you are in pain. My discs are placed perfectly and no one really know why they are giving me so much trouble. My facets are not looking well now so probably that is the problem. It could also be that the decompression surgery I had was the cause, I said the same thing as you, I could always fuse. So for me it was a gamble that did not work out but I would probably do it again. Good luck with you surgery. I wish you well.
Phylly
Discogram concordant pain @L4-S1 Aug. 07
Prodisc ADR's at L4-S1 November 2007
Foraminotomy July 08 for Sciatica
Continued problems and back pain worsened
Prodiscs removed and discs fused at L4-S1 Feb. 09
Old 01-26-2009, 05:59 AM

Hi Phylly,
Im sorry to hear that you also are having problems post ADR, I know how difficult it is to not have a successful surgery, and I wish you the very best of luck with the future outcomes, I would be really interested to know what your options will be later on. Keep the faith!
warmest wishes
sarah
Old 01-26-2009, 02:04 PM

Default Sounds reasonable

Steve,

The 10-15% no better or worse is probably a reasonable percentage considering that ADR is in its infant stages; but no one wants to be in that group. 60% pain free ain't bad either.

Curious if there is a clinical study on these statistics on all ADR surgeries or even a study per device. The European's should have some stats on this given the length of time they've been performing ADR. I'm not on an overseas site, so is there anyone here from the UK/Germany that's familiar with these stats?

Not necessary for me, so far, just curious.
**Dec. 2007 numbness and weakness in left arm/thumb, x-rays, MRI, discs at C4-7 pushing on spinal cord, fusion or ADR out of country
**April 7, 2008, discogram at C3-4, surgery 4 levels, Prodisc-C, Dr. Bertagnoli, Germany
Old 01-26-2009, 04:54 PM

Just a thought - Mark, help me out here.

A neurologisst in Germany, Dr. ? is beyond thorough and is ususally able to find the source of your back pain with incredible accuracy. Unless you're sure your facets are your problem, it might be worth the plane ticket. Mark can hook you up with him.

Mark, it might be a good time to post some of his incredible diagnosis.

Dale
Old 01-26-2009, 05:25 PM

This is a topic of interest to me too. I have been worried about the size of the Prodisc-L, and asked my surgeon about it. I have a very small frame. The surgeon said that almost all women, and a good percentage of men take the medium size Prodisc-L, with the remaining men needing the large size. But with having such small bones, I am worried about the sizing. How can two sizes be expected to fit everyone?

Are there studies out there from the Europeans, studying outcomes? I would really be interested in reading them, especially long-term.

I am trying to figure out if I should look to the Germans for my care.

46 years old. 12-15 years of intermittent pain, 2 years with constant pain.

DDD, L4-5 and L5-S1, pain confirmed by discogram.
PT, ESI's, Facet injection and block, Acupuncture - all no help.

2-level (Prodisc-L) ADR surgery with Dr. Bertagnoli, May 26, 2009.

Currently taking Opana-ER (tapering off) and oxycodone
Old 01-27-2009, 03:33 PM

Send a message via ICQ to B13s

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshobbies View Post
Just a thought - Mark, help me out here.

A neurologisst in Germany, Dr. ? is beyond thorough and is ususally able to find the source of your back pain with incredible accuracy. Unless you're sure your facets are your problem, it might be worth the plane ticket. Mark can hook you up with him.

Mark, it might be a good time to post some of his incredible diagnosis.

Dale
I guess you mean Dr. Baumbach - his pages is Dr. Baumbach - Neurologe . However at least for me he couldn't find any explanations for my nerve pain...