Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss OUCH!!! What is going on????? in the Main forums forums; Hey all, Can I just say this one thing?? Why is it that when I went to get up a ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2009, 07:21 PM

Default OUCH!!! What is going on?????

Hey all,

Can I just say this one thing??

Why is it that when I went to get up a 3am to go to the bathroom I couldn't put any weight on my left leg without an excruciating pain taking over......WHAT HAPPENED ALL OF A SUDDEN?? Why is this happening??

I can't walk due to the pain and if I have to go to the bathroom I HAVE to go to the one on the main level because it is the ONLY bthrm with the door frame close enough for me to hold on to so I can sit. Needless to say I have set up shop in the living room, that way it means no stairs to the bathroom.

I don't understand what's happening and I can't remember EVER having pain this bad.....it hurts when I am lying down not moving, but when I go to get up and move it KILLS, instantly I start to cry cuz its so bad!!

I am sorry for complaining, I just don't know what to do or say. I am SCARED!! REALLY SCARED!!

Thanks for the ear....
L5 Laminectomy
L4/5, L5/S1- Bilateral Foraminotomies
Lumbosacral Transitional Vertebra
Old 01-25-2009, 08:51 PM

Raneah,
I am sorry all of this is happening to you, I'm sure it is very scary not knowing what is going on. I wish I could help you and tell you what was going on; but I don't know. I will be praying for you to find out soon and it not be anything serious.
Blessings,
Kathy
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 01-26-2009, 12:46 AM

Default Reply

If you recently had surgery, give it some time. Seems to me that most people have post op pain up to 1 year. Otherwise, go see the doc , it's just a matter of finding the pain source through clinical testing. I understand what this is like, I was up till 7am last night due to SEVERE pain! I tripled my ultracet just to finally get to sleep. Despite the risks, I am begging for my ADR surgery date asap.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:19 PM

Exclamation Ultracet is Tramadol

Steve,

Don't want to be an alarmist, but I was warned by people here (originally the other site) that more than 300 mg of Tramadol can cause respiratory distress, especially when used with other meds. I also confirmed this with my physician and pharmacist. All said 300 mg a day, no more.

Please check with the pharmacist (easier, and probably better, to talk to him rather than your doctor) about your meds and their strengths, side effects, when used alone and together. I didn't remember reading about the 300 mg in the literature they gave me, several spineys brought it to my attention.

Again, please ignore my mothering. Praying for the pain to subside, best wishes, Sandy
**Dec. 2007 numbness and weakness in left arm/thumb, x-rays, MRI, discs at C4-7 pushing on spinal cord, fusion or ADR out of country
**April 7, 2008, discogram at C3-4, surgery 4 levels, Prodisc-C, Dr. Bertagnoli, Germany

Last edited by SandyW; 01-26-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:27 PM

Hello,

Those meds your talking about made me sicker.... swelling of windways, throat, lips, and tounge.

Vicodin seems to work ok for me..

Todd

Surgery 10-19-07 ( L4-L5 Maverick disc )

For my true life story ...

go to -----> www.youtube.com

print -----> ADR surgery into the space bar

or ... http://www.maverick-disc.blogspot.com (my picture & movie updates)
Old 01-26-2009, 05:02 PM

You might want to try icing down the area. When I have a sudden flare-up that seems to come from nowhere and with no explanation, ice will usually calm down all those nerves that are firing and reduce swelling that might be putting pressure where is doesn't belong.

It helps when nothing else does.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:04 PM

Raneah, I really hope that you can find out what is causing your pain.

I know you said your chiro was getting a colleague to order an MRI, and that's great. But I would call your doctor again, tell him your symptoms are getting worse, and you are still in excruciating pain. If he still won't do anything to help you, I would find another doctor.

I don't think the Chiro is the best doctor for you to be seeing, though at the moment he/she is the only one actually willing to try and help. But I think you need a doctor who is well versed in spine problems, to make sense of the MRI results and start working on a solution.

Best of luck to you.

46 years old. 12-15 years of intermittent pain, 2 years with constant pain.

DDD, L4-5 and L5-S1, pain confirmed by discogram.
PT, ESI's, Facet injection and block, Acupuncture - all no help.

2-level (Prodisc-L) ADR surgery with Dr. Bertagnoli, May 26, 2009.

Currently taking Opana-ER (tapering off) and oxycodone
Old 01-26-2009, 06:05 PM

eek! I get hoarse and my throat swells post-op. Need to look at the side-effects of Tramadol. Was considering having a swallowing test, but might be meds.
**Dec. 2007 numbness and weakness in left arm/thumb, x-rays, MRI, discs at C4-7 pushing on spinal cord, fusion or ADR out of country
**April 7, 2008, discogram at C3-4, surgery 4 levels, Prodisc-C, Dr. Bertagnoli, Germany