Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Something SO simple............ in the Main forums forums; Hi there!! Well, last night when I was putting my daughter to bed and I bent over to kiss her ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2009, 12:35 AM

Default Something SO simple............

Hi there!!

Well, last night when I was putting my daughter to bed and I bent over to kiss her on the forehead, she put her arms around me and pulled me towards her, next thing you know, I felt the WORST pain I have EVER felt in my life (and I have had a baby)it dropped me to my knees and literally could not get up. THANKFULLY, I had a friend over so he was able to help me move-which wasn't an easy thing to do.

I did make my way out to the couch HOPING that I would be able to just rest and it would go away, Boy was I WRONG!! The pain became unbearable and all I could do was cry, my friend kept telling me that he was going to take me to the ER and I told him NO!! Well, needless to say, HE WON!!

SO, I went to the ER, after waiting a few minutes they took me right in, I guess the fact that my heartrate was in the 160's might have told them that I was hurting (and the fact that I was CRYING!!)

Make a long story short, they pumped me full of drugs, man do they ever make a difference...I brought the copy of my MRI report with me & the doctor looked at the MRI on the computer, he told me he was worried that the disc at the L5-S1 level might have (i can't remember the word he said, DARN!!) anyways basically he thinks that it has become more damaged or caused more damage. I have absent reflexes in my ankles and the power on my left side was weak (if that makes sense, ugh, you almost need a medical degree just to know what is going on with your own situation).

He kept me there until he was satisfied with the pain control, then gave me a prescription for Oxycocet and Baclofen (not sure what they are used for, I ASSUME pain control). Then GET THIS!! Apparently, there is a Nurosurgeon (*sp) that comes to the hospital here on Tuesdays to see patient's. The hospital that he works out of is about an hour drive from here so he comes and sees the patients here who are in need of that type of doctor. The ER doctor said that he was going to talk to the nuro doctor to see if he would be able to get me an appointment to see him SOON because of how concerned he was with my situation. I got the call today, I have an appointment on Tuesday @ 9:30am.

I don't really know what to say about all this, I am still in alot of pain, it feels like a constant shock going down my leg and going from standing to sitting or sitting to standing is KILLER!!! I NEVER imagined anyone could EVER been in pain like this DAMN it's not a joke!!

However, once I take the meds BAM, I am out like a light, how do people function on these things??

I just wanted to share this story with everyone, and to say THANK YOU for all the support and compasion. It is amazing how things work out sometimes, something that seems SO SIMPLE can completely change everything in a matter of minutes.....at least I had a doctor who knew his stuff (or at least seemed like he did) and took me seriously.

Note to self, bending forward when you have a back injury is not a wise thing to do.....

Will keep you posted!!
Mary
Old 04-03-2009, 02:59 AM

Wow Mary,
Good thing you had a friend there and didn't have to call 911. It sounds like you had and extremely compassionate doctor (which really surprises me, as ER drs see lots of people faking injuries to get pain meds). They really took care of you. I am so glad that you got an appointment for Tuesday! That is great, Kathy
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 04-03-2009, 06:54 AM

It is almost 3am and I can't sleep cuz the pain is kicking me in the BUTT!!
Old 04-03-2009, 02:57 PM

Marry,

Hope you find the answer soon.

Disc/back pain is the worse pain I've ever had to
deal with.

Hang in!!!

Todd

Surgery 10-19-07 ( L4-L5 Maverick disc )

For my true life story ...

go to -----> www.youtube.com

print -----> ADR surgery into the space bar

or ... http://www.maverick-disc.blogspot.com (my picture & movie updates)
Old 04-03-2009, 03:00 PM

Default what bothers me

Is the fact that you have reported weakness and there has been no or very diminished reflexes plus the severe pain. I wish you could have seen the Neuro today. You do have bowel and bladder control I guess as you've mentioned no problems with this.

Hope the pain will diminish ASAP. Many times in the past I grit my teeth and went thru it for longer than I could have now but if there were neurological deficits that really means something has to be addressed.

Call 911 or go to ER again if you are unable to feel an extremity, lose function with your extremity, are incontinent of bowel or bladder, or the pain is so severe you are unable to find any comfortable position at any time with any of your home arsenal.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:52 PM

The injury prompting my first surgery was a S1/L5 rupture. During the 1 week of waiting for surgery for an autalagous blood donation, I moved wrong... hot, searing pain, sharp, fast, acute... I know what you're talking about. That week, with the exception of this incident and 1 meal is a complete blur because of the drugs. My youngest son was a teenager. My husband took off work to take care of me. Taking care of a small child would have been unthinkable. My hat is off to you and others who push through. I hope relief for you is around the corner. I'm glad your friend was with you and hope you have the very necessary support to find a solution.

I feel for you, Dale
Old 04-03-2009, 04:46 PM

Mary, Is the picture of your daughter? She is absolutely adorable, love the bikini! It is so hard being a mom and having pain, so I can't imagine being by myself. It will get better, so hang in there. I will be praying for you, Kathy
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 04-03-2009, 05:35 PM

Your baby makes my heart melt. What a cutie. And I am a gruff old papa bear.

I am happy that you have such a fast appointment and hopefully will get this fixed soon and on with your life.

Please keep us informed as we will support you in the process.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 04-04-2009, 01:12 AM

Default Amiah

Yes, that's my baby girl Amiah in the picture. That was taken when we were in Florida at Disney Land, she is 8 months old. It was to be a 'family' vacation but unfortunately my husband died 3 months before. So, my best friend went with us. It was a bittersweet trip, but Amiah had a GREAT time watching all the characters.

Anyways, I am asking the question. Bladder or Bowel? What is meant by that? I don't have a single CLUE!!

Thanks again!!
Mary
Old 04-04-2009, 02:28 AM

Bladder and bowel loss of control is a dangerous situation where nerves are being compressed that control these functions. When you start messing yourself, that is a crisis and needs to be addressed immediately.

I am sorry about the loss of your husband. You have had some major unfairness in your life. I pray that your spine gets taken care of so that you can have your quality of life back.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5