Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Nerve Heat in the Main forums forums; Originally Posted by dshobbies Most of my pre-op pain was in my back. During my 3 level ADR surgery ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshobbies View Post
Most of my pre-op pain was in my back. During my 3 level ADR surgery with Dr. Bertagnoli (B), who has the most multi-level experience, the 'nerve root to my left leg was irritated'. Long story short, I now have and will always have residual problems with my leg which includes a burning foot and ankle, 24/7, usually worse at night or with shoes. N/L drugs were 100% helpful but it will have to get much worse before I take them again. Side effects of brain fog and blurry eyesight to high a price to pay.

BTW, it's payback time for all you northerners and east coasters. It was
100* (or close) for the last 3 days and will go down to the high 60's by this weekend. The heat is unbearable and the varied temps cause everyone to get sick. As much as I love LAs weather in the winter, I hate it in the summer. Thank-you 100 times and more to whoever invented air conditioning and damn the electric companies for charging to use it

My best to all, Dale
Dale, Is this a common thing that can happen during ADR surgery? Or is it just a 'freak accident'? I know the 'consent' form that I signed prior to surgery listed everything under the sun as something that could happen, from small stuff to death. I really didn't read it, as I figured I did my research and if I read it and think about it, I would have chickened out. One of those things, just make the plunge and don't think about it!
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 04-22-2009, 05:20 PM

Kathy,

I only know of one other person who had the same severe damage I experienced. I'm sure others suffer some nerve damage or distraction that may or may not be temporary but even in my case, it's better than it was. I have a life.

I should also say that I found accupuncture to be quite beneficial. Didn't believe in it, almost didn't go for it when my pm suggested it, but 3 months later, it made a huge difference.

Dale
Old 04-23-2009, 02:46 PM

Thank you for all your answers on that. From lyrica I had switched to Cymbalta 5 weeks, in the hope to loose weight (28 lbs). 1st discovery, my shoulders pain was GONE!!!
Then slowly started sinking into pain (back/abdomen/legs) again until yesterday started taking lyrica along with cymbalta, pain has been reduced and the heat from the nerve is gone within 2 hrs of taking lyrica!!!!!
BUT shoulders pain came back....
Old 04-24-2009, 04:03 AM

Anyone out there had complaints about their shoulders while taking Lyrica???
Old 04-24-2009, 05:46 PM

Rosy,

No shoulder pain from Lyrica.

Dale
Old 04-24-2009, 07:51 PM

Hi Rosy,

I thought I had read somewhere here about someone else having problems. Hopefully they will read this and chime in.
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.