Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Epidural Steroid Shot appt next week... in the Main forums forums; Hey!! Ok, so I have my appt for the Epidural shot next Thursday, WOW!! I can't believe how quickly ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2009, 05:30 PM

Default Epidural Steroid Shot appt next week...

Hey!!

Ok, so I have my appt for the Epidural shot next Thursday, WOW!! I can't believe how quickly things are moving..

Is the shot going to hurt?? They told me that I will be there for 4 hours, FOR A SHOT!! UGH!!

Anyways, will continue to keep you updated!!

Mary
Old 04-08-2009, 06:01 PM

Wink Shots...

Hi Mary

The EPI are not very painful stings like a bee with some pressure.

Should be done in a couple of minutes.

be patient it will be over soon.

I hope you get some relief from the injections, keep a log on pain relief when it starts and how long it last for future reference.

keep us posted

Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1
Old 04-08-2009, 08:27 PM

Mary, Is this a steroid shot that is supposed to relieve pain? I've had a number of them, and if it the same thing, it is hard to describe.

First the doctor put in a numbing agent, a freezing medication so that the 'big' injection doesn't hurt. It is a weird feeling....your legs go sort of tingly and numb at the same time. It was done on me while I was sitting up, but I had to lay down afterwards or else I would have fallen when I got off the table.

It felt like I was walking on rubber legs when I finally was allowed to go.

Yes, it did hurt a bit, but not anything like having children It is more like an intake of breath sort of pain, at least for me. Remember, every one is different.

I truly hope that this works for you. It didn't for me, after the second one, but I have a relative who has only had one a year, and it helped immensely.

Good luck with it, and let us know how it went.
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:04 PM

Default Are you getting sedation?

Are you getting sedation? I love getting the sedation, it is a couple of pain free hours and you are out of it for the shot. The numbing agent (lidocaine, I believe) burns like crazy. It feels like a bunch of ants biting you all at the same time. If you had stitches after child birth, and were able to feel at that time (ie. no epidural relief), they most likely gave you a shot of lidocaine, prior to the stitches. The numbing is the worst part, in my opinion. It's not horrible, nothing compared to childbirth; I just like the sedation drugs
I am so afraid of needles (I'm getting better, after 2 kids, numerous injections, surgery, etc). I go to a place where they give you a shot of lidocaine in your hand (small needle, a little burn), before starting the IV. Now, that's the way to go, especially if you aren't crazy about needles. I also get lots of warmed up blankets when I go. I love the warm blankets!
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 04-08-2009, 09:30 PM

Default re the first ESI

If you're getting sedation you probably won't know what's going on and the actual ESI will be over before you know it. It will be the process of your first visit there and the recovery that will take longer.

There are different approaches for the ESI. Someone mentioned rubber legs which is a more common feeling with a caudal approach.

For myself I prefer a transforaminal approach as it more directly gets the specific segment re relief. Caudal is more generalized and sort of bathes the nerves from the bottom upward. Good for an L5S1 area. I get the transforaminal approach for my L4 area.

In another post I stated that the first ESI usually will create what might seem like a flare up or more pain than you had going in but usually this is just for a few days. Then this clears up and you should feel much better if this works for you.

The following ESIs will likely not give you as much of an aggravated feeling down there (low spine).

Oh~ urinate before the procedure just in case it's done caudally because afterwards if you have rubber legs you will probably have rubber perineal area as well and you may not be quite able to feel yourself urinating or where it's going! At least for about the first hour to two post procedure.

You will want to plan on resting the remainder of the day with an ice pack intermittantly for 20 to 30 mins for the rest of the day.

I hope they work as well for you as they do for me
Old 04-08-2009, 09:44 PM

Re. Maria's post on urinating first. If you are of child bearing age (which I assume you are with a adorable daughter), even if you use contraceptives or haven't done the deed in months, you will have to pee for a pregnancy test. You only get outof it if you have been surgically 'fixed' or have been through menopause. I always try to hold it, until I get to the hospital. I then ask to go right away, so a nurse comes and gets me and lets me relieve myself (if I go at home, then I can't when I get there, since I'm not drinking anything). Anyway, just another tidbit of information.
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 04-09-2009, 12:13 AM

I have had a few of these at different hospitals. The first place basically rolled me back and wiped the area, then a shot to numb you, and then the injection. It didn't hurt that bad. The first shot stung and then the next one felt like pressure. Last week, I had my most recent one done where I had my disco. They started an IV and then fed me something before the injection. They did my SI and Facet. They still gave me shot too numb it too. Really no pain was felt. They will have you under an x-ray to make sure they are hitting the spot. They let me see where it went. Cool.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:13 AM

My ESIs were done under sedation. I didn't feel a thing and don't remember anything. As soon as I was completely awake, I was allowed to leave. Had 3 injections, 1 week apart. Relief was immediate and didn't need to rest or ice except with last one. After 4th week, had no relief at all, nothing, nada, zipo. It was worth the try if nothing else.

I hope it works for you because those 3 weeks were blissful. Good luck, Dale
Old 04-09-2009, 10:48 AM

Default thanks Kathy

Good tidbit for women of childbearing age as I have been surgically fixed at age 40 and am now officially post menopausal since age 50!

The nurses still ask when my last period was and it's so nice to say "I dunno.. 5-7 years ago?"

I am a frequent voider and can go on command practically (which is a royal pain). I usually try to go after the nice nurses have taken all my information, gowned, and done all else (even IV) yet before I'm going into the procedure room. Of course I've had it done so many times now (somewhere near 30) that I have it down pretty good and the surgery centers have the same routine once you've gone thru it.

I just mentioned the voiding thing just in case you got the caudal approach and post procedure rubber legs. Don't think I let that deter me from my frequent voiding .. I still went just felt like I wasn't sure what I was doing *down there*!
Old 04-09-2009, 07:39 PM

I guess my experience mirrors Eastex. The numbing injection felt like a sting and then the steroid just felt like pressure. I was not asked to pee in a cup before hand, and only went if I needed to go.

And I guess since I was not put out for it, I could eat and drink before hand, as normal. Though, I usually ate light, since I wasn't sure that to expect and didn't want to feel sick.

But I was told to take it easy the rest of the day. You aren't allowed to drive, someone had to go with me. My doctor didn't want me working the rest of the day, and told me to go easy with stairs and rest. Someone on another forum said that it is really helpful to lie down most of the day, to keep the steroid where it was injected. But you should be able to go back to normal activity the next day.

One thing I found helpful was to take a small pillow with me, to put under my lower back on the drive home afterwards. And then icing (no heat) of the injection site, and laying down pretty much the rest of the day.

One place I went, they have you gown up and everything, I preferred this. Because the other place I had it done, they just had me go in in my clothes, luckily I wore a dress, which they just hiked up, pulled down my underwear and did the injection. I didn't really like that.

They keep you for a little while after, to make sure you are feeling all right. And make sure that you can feel your legs and feet, enough that you can hold your own weight. It is normal for you to have a little bit of numbness in your legs or feet, but it shouldn't last too long.

46 years old. 12-15 years of intermittent pain, 2 years with constant pain.

DDD, L4-5 and L5-S1, pain confirmed by discogram.
PT, ESI's, Facet injection and block, Acupuncture - all no help.

2-level (Prodisc-L) ADR surgery with Dr. Bertagnoli, May 26, 2009.

Currently taking Opana-ER (tapering off) and oxycodone