Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss DDD S1 and more? in the Main forums forums; Hello Spines I have severe DDD at L5- S1 the disc is almost gone with nerve pain in the left ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2009, 02:09 AM

Exclamation DDD S1 and more?

Hello Spines

I have severe DDD at L5- S1 the disc is almost gone with nerve pain in the left leg sometimes right with other issues at other levels.

Three different Doctors one FUSE, one NS no HELP, one Injections and wait?

How long should I wait before surgery

If I wait to long would I still be a ADR surgery or would I have a fusion?

I understand a fusion at L5-S1 is not a big issue but the other levels are also going to hell

I am getting to the end of my rope and am trying to make a decision

Thanks

Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1
Old 04-13-2009, 04:11 AM

Hi Gil,

I so totally understand your predicament. I have been fighting for what I thought was the right thing...ADR at the bottom three levels, and two ADR at the cervical as well. I am so afraid of the adjacent discs breaking down, and they are well on their way, it seems. The latest doctor did say that the L2/3 was fine though.

Can you get at least one more opinion? That's what changed my mind. I sent my MRIs out to at least three more surgeons, and finally decided that the fusions at the two lowest lumbar levels and then the ADR to take the stress from above would make sense for me. But the last few weeks that I spent coming to this decision were very stressful.

If you would like to chat more, feel free to PM. Since one doctor has no opinion, he doesn't count, does he So you really have only had two so far...time for more!
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:55 PM

I commend Katie for doing her research. It's important to be assertive in looking out for ourselves and our medical treatment. I second her idea of getting more than one opinion. I got several before making the decision to go overseas to have 4 discs replaced. I am doing well today and pleased with my decision and my recovery. It sounds like you are right on the cusp of needing to decide where to turn to next. I would suggest getting some more opinions and ask about the surrounding discs to know what your decisions may affect in the future.

Hang in there Gil.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 04-13-2009, 04:12 PM

Gil, and others

Due to my doctors in Maine not offering me any options, I waited 7 years before getting surgery.

Waiting, and walking with a limp for all those yrs before surgery has led to hip problems

*(No limp post-surgery)

There is a fine line of having surgery to soon, and a fine line waiting to long.

Research as much as you can... see what the doctors, and more doctors have to offer you.

It really all comes down to .... are you ready for the risk?

Personal choice... when, where, what type of surgery, cost, Ins... = ----> life changing surgery

Please keep us all posted.....

We're all here to support you!!!

Todd

Surgery 10-19-07 ( L4-L5 Maverick disc )

For my true life story ...

go to -----> www.youtube.com

print -----> ADR surgery into the space bar

or ... http://www.maverick-disc.blogspot.com (my picture & movie updates)
Old 04-13-2009, 04:30 PM

Yes, I agree, you need more information/opinions.

You say that the L5/S1 disc is almost gone. I would be afraid that having disc replacement may not be possible at this point, because of this. Have you talked to any surgeons that do ADR? What do they say?

Have you had injections, a discogram? What were the results of these?

46 years old. 12-15 years of intermittent pain, 2 years with constant pain.

DDD, L4-5 and L5-S1, pain confirmed by discogram.
PT, ESI's, Facet injection and block, Acupuncture - all no help.

2-level (Prodisc-L) ADR surgery with Dr. Bertagnoli, May 26, 2009.

Currently taking Opana-ER (tapering off) and oxycodone
Old 04-13-2009, 05:04 PM

Default Waiting - for what?

Hi Gil,

After going through my L5/S1 problems I have to say that waiting was not in my best interest. I really wish that I had gone for the fusion 5 months ago when I got my MRI report back which clearly showed little to no disc left. ADR was not an option because of the lack of disc and I was too afraid to have the fusion for fear of nerve damage. I continued to wait making myself live with the pain (it was only back pain 5 months ago) then the neurological stuff hit big time and after two months post-op it still has not resolved itself. I am terrified that I will live with a limp forever from the weakness in my right leg. I have to agree with others who have posted. Gather more opinions, maybe a hybrid fuse L5/S1 and ADR L5/L4. But get after it and I wish you well!!
Old 04-13-2009, 05:33 PM

Gil,

The ineveitable crossroads has hit you as it has most. What, who and when is a big question.

Who is your first decision. Any doctor who performs ADRs also does fusion. The converse is not true and opinions of doctors who do not perform both surgeries is likely to be tainted. Three opinions from doctors doing both will give you a better of idea of what needs to be done and when. The skill of your surgeon has a direct bearing on the success of your surgery.

What, if the disc is almost gone, and ADR may not be possible. Again, the skill of your surgeon is the important decision is determining what. However, the longer you wait, you may limit your your choices.

When, when you've had enough. When functioning on a daily basis becomes difficult. When the pain rules your life. Keep in mind that nerve damage is tricky. Will it heal, will it eventually go away?

Personally speaking... I'd get opinions from the known heavy hitters and do the surgery sooner rather than later because I have permanant nerve damage. Others feel living on meds is better than taking the chance that surgery will be successful. Since you have to live with all consequences, this must be your choice, however difficult, which is why we say, educate yourself till the cows come home - and then some.

Good luck, I know it's tough, Dale
Old 04-13-2009, 07:18 PM

Default re fusion

Gil,
Have you had a discogram and CT scan? Do you know if the facets are good? Have you had a bone density test to make sure you don't have osteoporosis (yes, males can have it as well)?

RE pain you sound like you're ready. As mentioned think about who you'd want to do your surgery and then maybe when will come to you.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:41 AM

Hi

Thanks for all your replies

I have done all the test MRI, CT scan, bone density o.k, Xrays, Melogram very bad headache, the only one left is disco

Stenum would do L5-S1?

Dr B. would do L5-S1 L4-L5 maybe more

Dr Zegers still no real reply.

Insurance well you know the rest.

Money is tight,still trying to work and support my family.

Trying to get in to see Doctors at University of Salt lake

Thanks Again I will keep you posted

Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
Old 04-14-2009, 03:23 AM

Hey Gil,

Sorry you are getting to the end of your rope. I also understand about money being tight. Have you thought about being part of a clinical trial? Maybe the Activ-L?

You should inquire about multilevel procedures. I know they are only doing single levels right now, but they might open up a multilevel arm.

Quote:
1. Christopher Ames, MD University of California San Francisco Hospital San Francisco, CA
2. Domagoj Coric, MD Carolinas Medical Center Charlotte, NC
3. Dzung Dinh, MD OSF St. Francis Peoria, IL
4. Federico Girardi, MD Hospital for Special Surgery New York, NY
5. Glenn Butterman St. John’s Hospital Minneapolis, MN
6. Harel Deutsch, MD Rush University Hospital Chicago, IL
7. Mick Perez-Cruet, MD Providence Hospital Detroit, MI
8. James Yue, MD Yale New Haven Hospital New Haven, CT
9. John Regan, MD Century City Doctors Hospital Los Angeles, CA
10. Rolando Garcia, MD Aventura Hospital Aventura, FL
11. Scott Blumenthal, MD Texas Back Institute Dallas, TX
12. Steve Dennis, MD Hoag Memorial Hospital Newport Beach, CA
13. Vikas Patel, MD University of Colorado Health Science Center Denver, CO

Prospective participants should contact Jill Ellis at 901.201.7894 or
jill.ellis@aesculap.com
Of course, you would have to meet other inclusion criteria.

Clinical Study to Evaluate the Safety and Effectiveness of the Aesculap Activ-L™ Artificial Disc in the Treatment of Degenerative Disc Disease

Quote:
The study is now being conducted at clinical sites nationwide. For additional information, or study locations, email your request to AISActivL.us@aesculap.com

ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00589797

Study ID Numbers: ASC-01

Study Type: Interventional

Study Design: Treatment, Randomized, Single Blind (Subject), Active Control, Parallel Assignment, Safety/Efficacy Study

Official Title: Clinical Study to Evaluate the Safety and Effectiveness of the Aesculap Activ-L™ Artificial Disc in the Treatment of Degenerative Disc Disease

Last Updated: 03/25/2009
EDIT: Bummer...I just saw your previous laminectomy in your signature...it's an exclusion for the trial.
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:17 AM

Gil,
I agree on getting more opinions. As mentioned, an ADR surgeon can do fusions as well. I was told by my surgeon that if he got into surgery and saw something that would make me not a good canidate for ADR, that he would do a fusion (say my facets were worse than expected). At first this scared me, but then, I would rather my surgeon do a fusion and not ADR, rather than do the ADR, only to need a revision later.
What does your MRI report say about L5/S1? What does it say about the other levels?
As you probably know, I was in the Active L clinical trial. Dr. Rolando Garcia in Florida was my surgeon. He and Dr. Yue invented the Active L disc. I really liked him and feel he did a great job on my back. I know he had 5 or 6 spots left open in the trial, at his location. The trial is in it's 3rd year of trials and is wrapping up. He said he was seeing his first patients for the 2 year follow ups and that the trial has been very successful. If you would like any more info, pm me and I would be happy to help.
Last, I will re-post what I posted earlier on the other Cathy's thread, regarding the timing of surgery....
As far as when to have surgery and is your pain bad enough. I think that it depends on the person. Prior to surgery, my pain was usually less than 5 with meds, it would go up to a 9 or 10, if I didn't take meds at the first sign of breakthrough pain. I didn't want to live like this, why should I have to take drugs to be 'normal'? I knew that this had taken a huge toll on me; but never realized how much. My husband told the surgeon, prior to surgery, that this has aged me 10-15 years. He never told me this, I'm sure not wanting to depress me more than I already was. He went on to say how full of life, energy, happiness I was before this and how I am now. I'm sure your loved ones have seen a similar change too.
Not to mention, your facets aren't getting any better. I was lucky, in the sense that all 3 of the surgeons I saw, agreed that my facets were not yet bad enough for ADR surgery; but they all also agreed that I didn't have lots of time left. Plus, the osteoporosis, osteopenia issue. I was also told that my age would be in my favor too. So, it goes to reason that the sooner you do it, the younger you are, the faster you will heal.
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 04-18-2009, 08:22 PM

Hi Kathy

I agree with you all. But I am no spring chicken 50 is not old and not young

I received another injection at S-1 with small amount of relief follow up on tues 21 maybe an other one?

The last one was the most painful one ever sweats and nearly lost my cookies

Trying to go to University of Utah Hospital for more opinions

Keep you posted

Thank You All

Gil
L5-S1DDDDD
C3-C4 limited DDD
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
Old 04-18-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Denis View Post
Hi Kathy
I agree with you all. But I am no spring chicken 50 is not old and not young
I think this is yet another reason to decide to either have surgery now or never. As I have read over and over, many a person has waited to the point of no longer being a canidate. I'm not gonna lie, it's not an easy surgery, it sucked. I prayed to die for 2 days I hurt so bad; but I would do it again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (88.9 KB, 10 views)
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!

Last edited by Kathy; 04-18-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:42 PM

Default I Know

Hi Kathy and others

I Know I neeed to do it BUT BCBS is #%%^$^etc, and our Budget is well not there, Trying to sell a house and the market sucks, just lost a large project bank not willing to loan construction projects.

Life moves on

I will keep moving forward

Gil
L5-S1DDDDD
C3-C4 limited DDD
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
Old 04-18-2009, 10:51 PM

What about a clinical trial? I know that sounds scary, like a guinea pig. But, the thing is, most if not all of the discs in trials here are and have been being used in Europe for some time. Second, all of us having ADR are 'research' so to speak, because we really don't know alot about the long term, why they work for some and not others, and I could go on and on. I didn't have the money to pay for the surgery either. I didn't have any savings (as it has been exhausted for my care up to that point), don't have enough equity in my home for a home loan (bought it 2 years ago) and no way to borrow the money. That's why I decided to go into a trial. It was a stretch for us to pay for the travel, which I had to pay with a credit card. It's worth checking in to.
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 04-19-2009, 12:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to Nairek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Earhart View Post
I think this is yet another reason to decide to either have surgery now or never. As I have read over and over, many a person has waited to the point of no longer being a canidate. I'm not gonna lie, it's not an easy surgery, it sucked. I prayed to die for 2 days I hurt so bad; but I would do it again.
Oh yeah, that's how I felt after surgery until they got my pain under control!
Disc Bulge C4/C5, Disc Degeneration T11/T12, Bi-Lateral tears L5/S1, Diagnosed w/ Lumbar Disc Derangement w/ Radiculopaphy. Treatment: IDET, Percutaneous Discectomy, SI Joint Injection, Facet Block. All failed. Empire BC/BS Denied Coverage for ADR-lost all of my appeals. MVP also denied coverage.

Anterior/Posterior Fusion L5/S1 -1/20/09
Old 04-21-2009, 12:07 AM

Default Dr B,

Hi Nariek

Trying to get in contact with Dr Bitan Any suggestions?

also sent you a P.M.

Thanks

Gil
L5-S1DDDDD
C3-C4 limited DDD
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
Old 04-21-2009, 01:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to Nairek

Gil,

I sent you a PM.

Karin
Disc Bulge C4/C5, Disc Degeneration T11/T12, Bi-Lateral tears L5/S1, Diagnosed w/ Lumbar Disc Derangement w/ Radiculopaphy. Treatment: IDET, Percutaneous Discectomy, SI Joint Injection, Facet Block. All failed. Empire BC/BS Denied Coverage for ADR-lost all of my appeals. MVP also denied coverage.

Anterior/Posterior Fusion L5/S1 -1/20/09
Old 05-01-2009, 01:36 AM

Unhappy Injections

Hi All

Just had more injections at S-1 and still no help a little at first seemed to taper off. My PM Doc stated that I could receive as many injections as needed to relive the nerve issues. When i asked about tissue damage her reply was no
Still trying to see more Doctors with great experience in spine issues but they seem to all be cut happy its all about paying for the porche

Just keep moving forward

Gil
L5-S1DDDDD
C3-C4 limited DDD
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09