Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Results/recovery of hybrids vs. ADR or fusion? in the Main forums forums; Since I am now looking at mixed levels, that include both ADR and fusion in both the cervical and lumbar ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-18-2009, 01:14 AM

Default Results/recovery of hybrids vs. ADR or fusion?

Since I am now looking at mixed levels, that include both ADR and fusion in both the cervical and lumbar levels, I have many questions. Dang, I have spent a year and a half investigating ADR, especially Maverick discs, and being very happy with the results.

Now I am looking at the unknown...I am not sure yet which artificial disc I will be getting...one in the lumbar at the L3/4 and one in the cervical at C4/5. Then I'll probably get fusion at C5/6 and L4/5 and L5/S1. Other than knowing I didn't want fusion at all levels, I didn't do my research for having it. I am now on a crash course of finding more about it.

I THINK I am happy with the hybrids, the way they have been explained to me so far...allowing better healing to the spinal cord, etc. If I hadn't met Dr. Bitan and been very impressed with both him and his information, I would be more than slightly second guessing myself right now. I like this doctor an awful lot, really I do...and his credentials are so great......a 16 page CV for the love of Mike!

So what should I expect for healing time, etc.? Fusion takes much longer, right? And I'll have so much more metal in me, with screws? What else? A big collar around my neck for weeks? And my belly....front AND back incisions? Eeek! Five levels, two in the cervical and three in the lumbar respectively, just days apart.......

Yes, I need to talk to the good doctor a lot more, but can't till next week, so I'm here among friends, asking for advice and information once again I hope I'm not just getting cold feet with everything rushing up so fast.

The good thing is that this is NOT a trial, and he has free rein so to speak about what he does...he will do what he thinks best, in other words. I had built up such a great argument AGAINST fusion for the insurance....sigh
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.