Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Medical Marijuana and nerve pain in the Main forums forums; I don't want to break any rules here and definitely don't want to get anyone in trouble but ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2009, 10:45 PM

Default Medical Marijuana and nerve pain

I don't want to break any rules here and definitely don't want to get anyone in trouble but I am looking for people with experience using marijuana for pain. I have been on every medication possible in every combination possible with very little relief. I used to smoke it when I was younger and actually hated it. I'm not sure if I would smoke too much trying to "hang" with everyone else or what, but it would make me absolutely miserable.

I am at the point now where I have to try something. I am not in any way concerned with the legality issues of it so please don't bring it up. I just want to know if anyone has used it for nerve pain and what their experience was. Were you able to be relatively alert? Did it help you to reduce your other meds?

If you do not feel comfortable discussing this in an open forum please IM me. I really would appreciate any information I could get.
VATS thoracic fusion @ T3-4 and T6-7 on 9/11/09
Fusion w/cage @ C7-T1 on 11/12/09
Old 11-16-2009, 05:19 AM

Hello,

Yes I have used Marinol = pot pill for pain management / and to help reduce my other meds.

I was able to eat better.... with little side effects, and was less bound up.

In my state of Maine its legal for medical use

If you have any other ? please feel free to write me @

camaro_travels@yahoo.com

Surgery 10-19-07 ( L4-L5 Maverick disc )

For my true life story ...

go to -----> www.youtube.com

print -----> ADR surgery into the space bar

or ... http://www.maverick-disc.blogspot.com (my picture & movie updates)
Old 11-16-2009, 03:08 PM

Hello

As a past recreational user I found it made my pain worse when smoked, it also constricts blood vessel reducing blood flow.

If you eat it you may get better results.

good luck

Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1
Old 11-16-2009, 05:53 PM

Thanks guys. I am pretty much on my last leg with medication as I have tried everything in every combination imaginable. I am very worried about trying MM because of how terrible it used to make me feel when I would use it recreationaly.

The severity and location of the pain that I have makes it feel like I am on the verge of panic at all times. I can't inhale or exhale too deeply and I cannot drop my shoulders past a certain point or it will feel as if I am being electrocuted. I also have to be very careful because if something relaxes me too much and I cannot control my breathing or shoulders the same thing happens.

I have doubled my pain medicine lately and am now at 20-40mg of immediate release oxycodone every 3-4 hours which is doing nothing. Not only do I think this is very unhealthy, at this level I will run out before a doctor can prescribe more and I will be treated as a drug addict.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:16 PM

Default hmmm

From my understanding there are many types of marijuana now for various probs. I'm not sure if you are going to try smoking it or the marinol but maybe the smoking wouldn't be good for you because of how deeply it's inhaled in order to get the effect (as I recall)... it used to make me to sort of gag or usually cough when inhaling it (way back in the day).
Old 11-17-2009, 10:40 PM

I know nothing about various strains and all of that. I was just going to get some from my pothead cousin in college, lol. I don't think that it will be the route for me but at this point I am willing to try just about anything.

If it were to work well I would probably get one of those vaporizers that heat the herbs without burning them thereby lessening the toxic byproducts.

I did have a breakthrough last night/this morning. The burning was so severe and then all of a sudden my shoulder and arm violently spasmed. It was so violent that it snapped my head and neck. This happens all the time, especially when I am drifting off to sleep but this time was worse. I was able to go back to bed and when I woke up this morning I felt better than I have in a long time.

See there are pains that suck, but I could totally live with. Like the pain in my mid back that feels like I've been hit by a bat. It's a severe soreness, but I can live with it. If I had to live with the post op surgical pain I could do that as well. It is this severe burning, electrical pain that I cannot live with.

Oh well. I will try to enjoy the relief that I have experienced and hope that it continues.