Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss REM Sleep Behavior Disorder and chronic pain patients? in the Main forums forums; I'm just lucky I guess.... There is a nucleus of the brain that is responsible for paralyzing you when ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2010, 04:31 AM
Administrator

Default REM Sleep Behavior Disorder and chronic pain patients?

I'm just lucky I guess....

There is a nucleus of the brain that is responsible for paralyzing you when you are dreaming. REM Sleep Behavior Disorder or RBD is when that mechanism fails. Physically acting out your dreams is not a good thing.

My PM referred me to an internist to deal with my sleep issue. The internist very quickly said, "there is a diagnosis for what you are describing.... RBD."

The prognosis is, "sucks to be you." Sleep downstairs, don't keep sharp objects next to the bed...

I'd say that my experience is in 1/3's. 1/3 of the mornings, I wake up and don't have any awareness of the problem. 1/3 of the time, I know I'm more than restless and Diane complains that I flailed all night. 1/3 of the time, I wake up and know that I duked it out with my nightstand... phones, ipods, etc... all knocked all over the place...

Discussions of RBD often include medications that may cause or exacerbate it. This has been going on for more than a year. None of my med changes are implicated. All of the meds that may be implicated pre-date the problem and I've not had any difficulties with them.

Anyone have experience with this?

All the best,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 11-05-2010, 06:29 AM

Default yep!

I think I've had back probs so long if anyone mentions something I may have had it and I've definately had this esp. early on with my failed back surgery and maybe the meds. I would often dream pretty violent dreams and between jerking movements or flailing as you mentioned I was a pretty odd bed partner.

For awhile I was given that label of Restless leg syndrome tho actually I'd be sort of tossing about and my legs would seize up and thrash about. This is what I was told. I didn't try any meds for it because I felt like I was on too many at the time. This went on for about at least a year post my failed surgery and maybe another year after that and then kind of wound down to very occasionally instead of a nightly thing.

I've been sleeping alone for a number of years now tho sleep with one 15y.o. cat and I'm pretty sure she'd sleep somewhere else if I still was flailing or thrashing about the bed tho actually I've noticed I sleep way better in general these last few years.

Hopefully this will blow over for you when your mind works out your physical "stuff" This is what I think happened with me tho I have to admit I think the meds I took post failed surgery also played into the dreams (and just my mind needing to work out my limtations and feelings about this).

Last edited by Maria; 11-05-2010 at 06:33 AM.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:54 PM

This is not me but I have another sleep disorder also just recently diagnosed.

It seems my body does not process melatonin, the chemical released when the sun goes down which makes most people sleepy, properly. I've had this most of my life as do many members of my family and thought of myself as a night owl. My best sleep is in the mornings???? I now take melatonin supplements which helps a little.

Sometimes it's just nice to know you're not as crazy as you think!
Old 11-05-2010, 11:14 PM
Administrator

Melatonin is mentioned as a treatment for RBD on the websites that discuss it. They recommend against self-medicating.

I'm pretty keenly aware of psych issues associated with chronic pain and potential chronic pain disorders. It was with mixed emotions that I read that RBD is a medical problem and not a psych issue.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:53 PM

Default sleep probs

I don't know about RBD but I do know that after that period of "whatever" post 2nd surgery/failed there were about 7 ok years re sleep and then moving on to severe sleep disruption since menopause that lasted until not too long ago. Back in 2005/2006 I had trouble sleeping more than 2 hours/night. Mostly I think I had insomnia however was taking Fioricet, Methadone, Neurontin with the Fioricet and Neurontin in pretty healthy doses.

Now that I'm taking less meds I sleep much better tho I'm that much farther out of menopause and also feel overall better in general re my pain (far less back pain). I'm also finally not worried about my father living alone since he moved into an ALF. So whatever my sleep issues were attributed to way back when and then more recently~ it sucked big time!

I bought Melatonin but didnt like the smell of it so didn't take it plus wondered how good it would be to take that and the prescription meds I was taking plus am not that into taking OTC types of supplements since they're in no way regulated.

Good luck. Guess you're doing the best you can do right now re being careful how/where you sleep.

Last edited by Maria; 11-06-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:24 PM
Administrator

I was watching Taffy sleeping yesterday and had an epiphany. I wonder if you can catch it from your dog?
Old 11-12-2010, 08:05 PM

Default Lol

Ha! Ditto re Lola.. sometimes she scares me with the noises she makes and the movements!! I've thought she might be seizing or something!!!
Probably dreaming of the squirrels running all about her

I edited this to add that I have been sleeping so well lately it's so incredibly pleasant! I have missed this kind of sleep tho used to have it after I had my first spine surgery and recovered well and/or was functioning without pain. Honestly it's a pretty anxiety free sleep and also I think less pharmaceuticals in my system is helpful. Also I sleep with my 15y.o. Persian cat right next to me and she's a great role model for a good sleep!

Last edited by Maria; 11-13-2010 at 02:33 PM.