Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss CERVICAL ADR....USA or Europe! in the Main forums forums; Hi Everybody, I recently discover that I have 3 herniated discs in my neck. In 2004 I had fusion at ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 10:52 PM

Default CERVICAL ADR....USA or Europe!

Hi Everybody,
I recently discover that I have 3 herniated discs in my neck. In 2004 I had fusion at c4/5, and although back then the problem was temporarily resolved I think that caused the herniated discs that I have today. I`ve seen 3 doctors so far and they all agree I need surgery soon. The discs at C3/4 and C6/7 are compressing the spine and I can`t afford to wait too long.
Needless to say that 3 doctors suggested 3 different operations. One doctor wants to do a Laminoplasty, the other wants to fuse 3 levels and the third wants to fuse C3/4 (the worst of them all) and wait and see what to do about the others after surgery. I really don`t like any of this options; after a lot of reading, and of course my personal experience, I came to the conclusion that fusion should be your very last resort. It creates more problems to the above and below levels and a considerable loss of ROM. Laminoplasty doesn`t really resolves the problem of the herniated discs, it`s a very painful and long recovery operation and considering that I`m 40 years old I would prefer to avoid it.
ADR seems to be a real and valid option but I`m confused about the following:

1) In USA you can only get one level ADR if cover by your insurance but you can get 2 and 3 level ADR if you pay cash. TRUE or FALSE?

2)Which hospital in USA does cervical ADR possibly 2 and 3 levels?

3)Which hospital in Europe does cervical ADR.

4) Is it really better to have this kind of surgery in EUROPE?

5) Anybody knows if Italy offers these type of operations or can suggest a surgeon there? I`ve some family there and for me it would be much easier to go Italy rather then Germany or England or Spain.

If possible I would like to hear from people that went through this process before or is in the middle of the process.

Thank you for your help and god bless.

Patty
Old 01-04-2011, 01:13 AM

Default Let me help answer a few of these from my personal exp

i had a two level fusion with peek implants at c 4/5 and 5/6 in july 2007. it did not fuse so they revised it with donor bone graft sep 2008. each time they placed titanium plate and screws over the vertabrae. one year later oct 2009 my c 3/4 had to be done with a stand alone peek cage which is just another way to fuse. now my c 6/7 is going. are you seeing the pattern here? do not let them fuse you. read about wolfs law. if you can get adr, i beg you to try anything to make that happen. i will not let them fuse me again. yes if you can pay out of pocket you may find a surgeon in the usa to do it. There are surgeons in california, texas, and florida that do it. mark that admin. for this site has a small fee to pre-opp your films and case to doctors that can help you. God bless, cheryl
Old 01-04-2011, 03:20 PM

Hi Patty,

You can get a multi-level ADR in the US. Don't know which ins co you have but chances are they won't even cover a single level. Most don't.

It's not the hospital that performs the surgery, it's the doctor and which hospital he operates in. You're more interested in choosing your doctor... and carefully - you've got one chance to get this right. Same thing applies to European doctors.

There are now excellent doctors in the U.S. Cost is usually the biggest factor, generally speaking, 1/2 the cost (or less) in Europe. Mark, GPN Artificial Disc Replacement ADR can help guide you if you're interested in Europe... Italy.

Don't blame you for not wanting a fusion, especially multi-level. Good luck and keep us posted.

Dale
Old 01-07-2011, 07:20 PM

Default Cervical ADR

Cervical ADR in Germany (Dr. Zeegers in particular):
1. Less expensive than in the U.S.(even with flight and lodging considered).
2. Far, far better medical care.
3. The absolute best surgeon; likely better outcome.
4. Latest and greatest prosthesis; USA models are obsolete compared to what they are using in Europe.

That's my opinion,
Jeff
Two level cervical Mobi-C (C5/6, C6/7) 2/2/07 with Dr. Zeegers (successful)
Laser Facet Coagulation (left side: L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1 & sacral) 11/04/10 with Prof. Dr. Reul / Beta Klinik (significant reduction in remnant lumbar & sacral pain)
Old 01-09-2011, 07:05 PM

Pattygo,

I had a 3 level cervical ADR done in Barcelona Spain by Dr. Clavel. He implanted 3 m6 cervical discs into my neck, c5/6,c6/7,c7/t1, and i am 32 days post op and feelin pretty dasrn good, improving daily.

1. Excellent surgeon....Dr. Pablo Clavel
2. Excellent hospital.... Quiron Hospital....(clean and my own private room)
3. Nursing staff friendly and compassionate
4. EXCELLENT m6 device
5. A wonderful out of country experience, after being discharged from the hospital, my sister and I walked at least 40 miles within the following week sightseeing and be mesmerized by the city.

Just my experience, Sincerly

Jarrod
Old 01-10-2011, 03:33 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Jessica Send a message via Yahoo to Jessica

My understanding based on my research.

FDA has not yet approved multi-level cervical ADR.

You can get the surgery in the US by participating in a study. One US doctor who offered me multi-level cervical ADR in 2008, Delamarter, LA Spine Institute. Very experienced ADR surgeon. Consult was about $500.

My other option is Germany, which I did have my first ADR there, and had a very good experience. It is a little scary, but more common than you can imagine.
Multiple ministrokes 2009 prevents ADR surgery
As of 10/2010 no relief on radicular C7
Trying to arrange C6/C7 prodisc
FDA has not approved for 2nd Levels on cervical.
Headed to Germany as soon as I am cleared for surgery.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:16 PM

Default Cost of multi-level procedure

Jarrod, I am also considering a multi-level cervical ADR. I am curious as to how much it cost to do a triple level ADR in spain? I was told that in Germany, it could be $60,000? Any help is appreciated!
Old 09-13-2011, 04:34 PM

Hi D and welcome,

What brought you here? Please start a new thread and tell us a little about yourself.

6 years ago, my 3 level lumbar surgery, including business class airfare for me and my husband and using Mark's services, cost about $60,000. Today, the exchange rate isn't as good but I can't imagine other costs being that much more, in fact, maybe even a little less because of the bad economy.

You might want to talk to Mark at GPN Artificial Disc Replacement ADR. His finger is always on the pulse.

Good luck, Dale
Old 09-13-2011, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Patty... any news? Your last post says you are scheduling. I really like Dr. Bitan and am looking forward to hearing about your good result! (I'm sending you and email now.)

All the best,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org