Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss CERVICAL ADR....USA or Europe! in the Main forums forums; Hi Everybody, I recently discover that I have 3 herniated discs in my neck. In 2004 I had fusion at ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-03-2011, 10:52 PM

Default CERVICAL ADR....USA or Europe!

Hi Everybody,
I recently discover that I have 3 herniated discs in my neck. In 2004 I had fusion at c4/5, and although back then the problem was temporarily resolved I think that caused the herniated discs that I have today. I`ve seen 3 doctors so far and they all agree I need surgery soon. The discs at C3/4 and C6/7 are compressing the spine and I can`t afford to wait too long.
Needless to say that 3 doctors suggested 3 different operations. One doctor wants to do a Laminoplasty, the other wants to fuse 3 levels and the third wants to fuse C3/4 (the worst of them all) and wait and see what to do about the others after surgery. I really don`t like any of this options; after a lot of reading, and of course my personal experience, I came to the conclusion that fusion should be your very last resort. It creates more problems to the above and below levels and a considerable loss of ROM. Laminoplasty doesn`t really resolves the problem of the herniated discs, it`s a very painful and long recovery operation and considering that I`m 40 years old I would prefer to avoid it.
ADR seems to be a real and valid option but I`m confused about the following:

1) In USA you can only get one level ADR if cover by your insurance but you can get 2 and 3 level ADR if you pay cash. TRUE or FALSE?

2)Which hospital in USA does cervical ADR possibly 2 and 3 levels?

3)Which hospital in Europe does cervical ADR.

4) Is it really better to have this kind of surgery in EUROPE?

5) Anybody knows if Italy offers these type of operations or can suggest a surgeon there? I`ve some family there and for me it would be much easier to go Italy rather then Germany or England or Spain.

If possible I would like to hear from people that went through this process before or is in the middle of the process.

Thank you for your help and god bless.

Patty