Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Lost It at my surgeons office today! in the Main forums forums; Hi, I am new here and have been reading some of your posts tonight. I had my second back surgery ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2011, 05:50 AM

Unhappy Lost It at my surgeons office today!

Hi,

I am new here and have been reading some of your posts tonight.

I had my second back surgery by a second surgeon for a reruptured disc at L5-S1. I still have severe pain from sciatica and know that I need the ADR. My last surgeon and I have talked about this, but I am so weak and upset that the pain is back so soon that I don't know where to start.

I went back for my 6 week checkup today and after over 3 hrs. of sitting in the waiting area, I totally lost it when my surgeon told me that I had spinal fluid on my spine after surgery. All I could hear ringing in my head over and over was that "I was going to have to have another surgery because of spinal fluid"! I couldn't even respond for crying. He said for me to come back in 2 weeks and if my swelling around my incision has not gone down he would have to go in and fix it.

I cannot keep this up! I am not being taken care of in the area of pain control. I don't sleep, I have to forcefeed myself, I am never happy, I cannot control my crying anymore, I fake a smile when needed, and my 16 yr. old daughter and my husband are losing it too. I simply EXIST! This is not living.

I need all the information I can get about surgery in France, Germany, etc. Also, U.S.A. How much will it cost $ total to go to another country and stay to have the surgery and how long before I can come home. Also, I need a surgeon or doctor in my general area that can help me with aftercare. I am not happy with the surgeons I have used.

I really need this information ASAP, as I cannot take this pain much longer. Not a suicide case, just know that this surgery only put another "bandaid" on that will most likely tear soon. I am also very dissapointed with aftercare and pain control with this surgeon.

I have good insurance, but haven't talked to them about ADR yet. Probably doesn't cover everything, but I can pay for it myself if I have to.

So much for my daughters college fund, our IRA,s, etc., savings, etc.! Guess I'll just have to go back to work when I am better!

I sincerely appreciate and look forwar to any responce. Thanks for listening.

CarolJ

MVA - March 19, 1991/Compression Fracture L1 spine
DDD
Osteoporosis
Lumbar Discetomy L5-S1 - October 10, 2010
Emergency Lumbar Laminectomy for rerupture L5-S1- April, 2011
Old 06-02-2011, 05:56 PM

Hi Carol,

Boy, can I hear your pain talking. You want to be free of your pain NOW, not in two weeks and not after yet another surgery which are so difficult to get past.

BTDT - most of have. The cost varies from doctor to doctor and before committing to surgery out of the country, please verify if your insurance does cover ADRs because there are now many fantastic surgeons much closer. Today, the primary benefit of going overseas is the cost, which can be half of that here in the US, though some might suggest the absolute top surgeons are still in Germany. So take a deep breath and that is your first step. Once you know what your insurance co will cover or not, then you can decide with which doctors you want to consult.

Utilizing Mark's services, GPN Artificial Disc Replacement ADR can make the process go faster. He can also recommend several doctors in your area of choice.

And as for that doctor who kept a spinal surgery patient waiting for 3 hours - send him a bill for your time. Then ask him why you have spinal fluid on your spine. This may be common but something I've never read about in all these forums. If this is something he did, you have still more to think about.

So cry, scream, get mad and get moving. You owe it to yourself but you've already figured that out. Insurance confirmation - possibly consult with Mark, choose top surgeons, get their opinions - choose one and go get your back fixed.

Good luck - Dale

Last edited by dshobbies; 06-02-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:39 AM
Administrator

Carol, I'm so sorry that you find yourself in this predicament.

What does the doc say he needs to do next?

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 06-03-2011, 11:30 AM

Wink Tim Vain from Dr. B's office called

Hi again,

Just wanted to thank those who replied to my thread. The information you gave me helped so much and made me feel so much better. Just knowing that I am not crazy, but right, has helped me to make the right decision.

I contacted Dr. Bertagnolli from his website and to my amazement was contacted by Tim Vain in only a few hours. This was so impressive. I could not believe how fast he called. I was also very impressed at how he took so much time talking with me. Tim was also helpful in letting me know that the physical therapy, which the surgeon had me doing, was making things worse(in my case anyway).

I did stop the therapy for one whole day and could not believe how much relief I have gotten. Not only did my swelling in the incision area from spinal fluid leakage go down, but the pain threshold is way down. In one day I have gone from taking up to 7 or 8 Loritabs(only giving some releif) to only 4(with somewhat more releif) in a 24 hr. period. I also did not need to use the icepack all day long. I even got a little nap yesterday afternoon. I just dozed off for about an hour before dinner time, which is something I never do. I have been on sleeping medication since last year when I first ruptured this disc and steadily having to take more because I become immune to the medication so quickly. I did not take it last night and I didn't sleep last night, not neccissarily because of pain, but most likely some anxiety thinking about everything I need to do to get things rolling for surgery and of course, coming off the sleeping medication. I also truly believe the physical therapy was making things so much worse.

I am getting my records together and sending Dr. B what he will need to assess my condition. This will take time but know that the time will be worth it when I get my new disc.

So, thanks to all of you from iSpine for your replies and thanks so much to Dr. Bertagnolli and Tim Vain for acting so quickly. I now have a completely new outlook on life and am once again very hopeful that everything will be ok. I actually smiled a real smile many times today. Also, my child and my husband are feeling better, which was my main concern other than my own depression.

My husband will be going with me to Bogen, Germany for the surgery. Tim even offered to go with me whether my husband could go or not to help with translation and care. WOW! Again, WOW! I could not believe he offered to go with me. I cannot begin to tell you how this made me feel. I cried not only while talking with him, but after I got off of the phone from sheer relief. I am exstatic at how much help you can receive if you do look further than your local surgeon. Its so great to be treated like a human being rather than the next side of beef on the line!

Thanks to all,
CarolJ
Old 06-03-2011, 01:12 PM

CarolJ

I am sorry you are in such a bad state right now. Glad you found this forum. I would certainly do just as Dale has advised. Calling Mark apparently will get you things quicker, which is what you need.
My only added advice is to get yourself to a pain management doc. I remember being in horrible pain after a surgery (much worse than before) and the first day at pain management, i thought i would just have to hug the doctor. It made ALL the difference in my world. Much easier to wait for the next surgery i needed, which was disc removal although my bone density makes me not elligible for ADR. My discectomy and fusion however had taken all that pain away.
So my added 2 cents get to a pain management doc right away.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 06-03-2011, 02:37 PM

Default re losing it

Carol,
That does happen to people that have to deal with pain and being treated like we're crazy or treated much less than desirably when seeking medical/surgical attention!

Glad to hear you were contacted so quickly by Dr.B's office. I don't know who Tim Vain as this is the first time I've heard that name mentioned however it appears the contact was what you needed in terms at the right time so glad to hear you're feeling much better emotionally as well as physically relaxing and feeling better.

Please keep us informed with your surgical plans/progress. take good care! Maria

Last edited by Maria; 06-03-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:07 PM
Administrator

It's Tim Vicknair. He works closely with Dr. Bertagnoli and can be very helpful. His business is somewhat different than mine in that I work exclusively for the patient.

Carol, I'm so glad that you are on the right track and are feeling like you are making some progress. Keep it up!

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 06-17-2011, 07:51 AM
Banned

Default I'm glad you lost it

The US medical system is disgraceful. USA first in war. First in peace (right) and 37th in health care.

Sadly you are one of many who is not getting proper medical care. In the US disease is not the enemy. The enemy is the exploitation of it for obscene profits at the expense of patients.

Last edited by mmglobal; 06-18-2011 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Deleted link to offensive medical holocaust website. (See moderation events thread for details.)