Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Sternum/chest pain is killing me :( in the Main forums forums; Yesterday i strech myself backwards,and then i hear so so big crack in my sternum bone...(usualy i do ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 12:01 PM

Default Sternum/chest pain is killing me :(

Yesterday i strech myself backwards,and then i hear so so big crack in my sternum bone...(usualy i do this,but allways some small cracks)
Since yesterday i have EXTREME pain in chest wall and sternum...
I still dont know how to diagnose this chest pain?
Maybe i should make MRI of chest wall?
I heard if thoracic nerves are press in the back...this can lead to chest radiating pain..?
Did someone have this corelated with upper back pain...? ...and how to get relief??? im crazy ...
Old 06-12-2011, 02:06 PM

Default re extreme pain in sternum/chest wall

I don't know about anything like a true fracture or such with cracking your sternum but the extreme pain since yesterday part would warrent at least an Urgent Care visit for me if not an ER visit. It could be ligament that over stretched and is creating severe pain (costochondritis sp? can give severe chest wall pain I believe) or something like this. So I would start the diagnostic process with such a visit where likely w/the workup an xray would be taken (before an MRI). No I don't think you're crazy.. just probably did overdid something and have resulting pain because of that particular move.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:10 PM

Newhere,
I agree with Maria, get yourself to an Emergency room or Urgent care center. You need a doctor to diagnose this. I know we often diagnose ourselves , but this time you need a doctor. Please let us know what happens.
I'm sorry this has happened to you. Please get help now.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 06-12-2011, 04:09 PM

New here

Sounds like you have a rib out of sorts? Is it on one side?

Get it checked out ASAP

Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1
Old 06-12-2011, 07:17 PM

Sometimes, in fact quite often, we tend to overdramatize our little aches and pains. This is not one of those times. As everyone suggested - get yourself to a doctor- the sooner the better, both for the possibility of something or to ease your mind for nothing.

Good luck and let us know what's going on. Dale
Old 06-12-2011, 10:16 PM

Yeah in fact headache or throath and other stuff are baby for this...
I must go too see a dr...but i allready mention that to every dr...i have chest pain...and they didnt do nothing about it..
i checked hart and lungs and everything is fine..
i think i must take x-ray or ct (a think x-ray are not so reliable as ct)...?
Old 06-12-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Denis View Post
New here

Sounds like you have a rib out of sorts? Is it on one side?

Get it checked out ASAP

Gil
yeah Gil...its on the center/left...hard to describe...
not so much on the right side but on the left yes..
Intresting is that i have centrolateral left herniation t6t7 ?!??? hmmm
Old 06-13-2011, 01:37 PM

Default re chest wall pain

It's normal to be worked up for heart and lungs when complaining of chest pain. Your presenting complaint alone (you stretched and then felt a large crack and extreme pain in sternum) should give the doctor a good idea of what to look for and which tests to do to vs. heart and lung sounds/tests for chest pain of a cardiac origin.

Costocondritis (the spelling isn't correct) can mimic chest pain of a cardiac nature and is often overlooked because one is being worked up for cardiac probs. Cardiac probs can present as chest wall probs so it's common to work a person up for cardiac complaints to make sure to rule out such a problem.

Again your presenting complaint of severe or extreme pain and a loud cracking sound in your sternum upon ... (movement made) will make a difference in how you're worked up and what exam/tests might be done/ordered.

Please let us know what the doctor says/does.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:03 AM
Administrator

I've had my heart worked up twice because of chest pain that was most likely coming from my c-spine.

After my cervical ADR, I had chiropractic adjustments that were targeted at remobilizing the rib joints, both in the sternum and the back. They helped.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 06-15-2011, 12:20 AM

I also have the wrap around rib pain thanks to ligaments that were overstretched during my initial injury, so now the rib heads like to slip out of place. Causes horrible, stabbing chest pain that wraps around the ribs. I go to the chiropractor for adjustments and I also use an exercise ball to put them back in when I can't make it in for appts (no way to explain it for you to safely do it yourself, I would suggest working with a PT). Mine is a constant thing...they're always sliding out and I put them back in. I've tried PT targeting the surrounding musculature to tighten things up, but with little success.

If you get no success with standard doc visit, I will call a chiro. If you have reservations about audible adjustments (aka cracking), just let them know you're not comfortable with audible release and they can use a different technique to adjust you (flex/distraction). I also get laser treatments (low level laser) to address some of the neurological pain issues and the large amounts of scar tissue that came from the original injury and the subsequent muscle damage.

Best of luck to you and I hope you feel better soon.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:44 PM

ok this gets little bit better but still i feel pain in chest...
lately i have so big tightnes/squeezing/feeling of deat/puling the muscles/some hotnes in my left side of sholder blade and left side...
so i must use alot of relaxant meds but then im like zombie...
im so much wondering why i have this puling feeling in my muscles around shoulder blades...like someone want pul everything outside of me.,..
anyone had this simptoms?? tnx
Old 06-17-2011, 05:44 AM
Administrator

not familiar to me... sorry
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 06-17-2011, 02:48 PM

Default have you tried this temp measure?

Not that this is going to do anything long term tho just wondering if you've tried an injection of 60mg of Toradol (nonsteroidal antiinflammatory medicine) to release muscle spasms. Just thinking it might break a cycle of spasming ...

I have no experience w/type of pain you're describing as my probs are lumbar and cervical altho I do have mild scoliosis around T6-7 and supposedly DDD thru out my spine. Have had a few very brief but scary episodes w/sharp pain in this area that took my breath away but also went away as suddenly as it came. Stopped me dead in my tracks however and I was afraid to breathe so can't imagine the suffering one goes thru with Tspine probs on a regular basis.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:57 PM

Newhere I don't remember anything like that either, sorry. If muscle spasm medication relieves the problem, maybe what Maria said is right, you have a cycle of spasms going on.
I did last night when i was out with my daughter , it was all lumbar , probably do to the injections i had on Wednesday.
I hope and pray you can get to the bottom of this and get fixed. Maybe an injection would help. I have never had one that Maria speaks of . Maybe your doctor can help you with bad muscle spasms.
Let us know, please
your email mom,
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 06-18-2011, 01:18 AM

Default newhere

And anybody else.. I don't know where you live (what state/country) however it's really pretty odd that I learned how helpful an injection of Toradol was for me after many years with back pain (25plus) and probably at least 12 with neck pain.

I was in such bad neck spasms one day that I could only move my eyes not my head at all (after 2 weeks of neck hurting) so I finally went to Urgent Care and was given a shot of 60mg IM (intra muscular) Toradol and the relief was nearly instant!

Since then (that's been 4 years ago) I've gotten injections for my lumbar spasms and it's helped equally as much. I have gone to Urgent Care to get an injection, or gotten one at my regular Pain Manangement appt. or at my Orthopedic doc's office and even in my Primary Care Providers office.

I was an RN for many years and became a Nurse Practitioner. Not sure for anyone out of the country if that means anything but for here in the USA that you know what that is most likely so I am actually able to give myself injections as I have that knowledge/ability. Not saying I like to but I can.

And so I have injected myself with this medicine when I couldn't get to the ER, UC, or my PCP's office and was in just a state of terrible spasming. The results have been good.

Again I do not say this is a drug that provides long term relief nor am I saying necessarily it's a drug that will help everyone for their particular problem altho it is a pretty good drug "intramuscularly" to help alleviate spams so it's probably worth a try if you're able to tolerate the components of this drug.

It has been extremely helpful to me. There were some times in the past that I'm pretty sure if this drug was available (and maybe it was) I would have not spent weeks in bed w/down time.

I truly hope whatever is going on with you (and Mark and others) with t-spine pain as it really sounds terrible to deal with as well as those with cervical, lumbar and any kind of pain will just "go away." If that's not happening then I hope that whatever is going on can be figured out in terms of pain generators and there's solutions. Yeah...