Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss Thoracic Update in the Main forums forums; It seems like it has been forever since I have logged on and I thought I would give a quick ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 02:14 AM

Default Thoracic Update

It seems like it has been forever since I have logged on and I thought I would give a quick update. I have had a lot going on both mentally and physically. It looks like so many have had surgeries. I will have to read all of your posts and get caught up.

In August, I had a T7 bilateral nerve root injection. It was decided if I got any relief from this injection then surgery would be an answer.

It was determined from more MRI's that the last surgery at T9 (done by a different surgeon) was done at the wrong level. What we learn from these forums. For the last year the pain just laughs at the meds but they keep me from staying in bed all day. I'm still not able to do much...

Well, I got more relief than was expected from the injection. I had 10 glorious days of manageable pain. Mind you, I was still on pain meds. But, I was able to get out of the house and go shopping, sit upright in a chair for more than half an hour, clean the house, I even painted a dresser. Probably not smart, but I was so happy to be able to do some of the stuff I used to do. And, then the pain came back full force. So, today I had another of the same injections to see if it will last longer. If it is the same result, we will schedule the surgery.

The pain relief was such a blessing but it also reminded me of what I am struggling to get back (no pun intended). Does anyone else feel that way?

I hope everyone is doing well.
2 Ruptured Thoracic Discs (T7/8, T9/10)
DDD
Old 10-13-2011, 04:49 PM

Shebo,

With such a positive result, your diagnosis appears confirmed which unto itself, is the biggest relief. Too many others are struggling with the unknown resulting in no clear cut path to pain free days.

I remember, after my injections I had 1 week of no pain. I was so hopeful that after the third round the benefit would last longer allowing me to 'paint a dresser' but all it did was remind me how good life could be but was not. Yes it does increase your desire to hurry whatever comes next because we're reminded what life was like before pain.

You are one of the lucky ones. Here's hoping the next round bears the same result!

Dale
Old 10-13-2011, 06:57 PM

I think I got a little over exuberent with the dresser.

I guess your third round of injections did not bring your desired relief. I know how it is to be told by many doctors that there is no reason for your pain or we can't help you or maybe if you exercised more. I wish there was an answer for everyone's pain.

I try to be a realist and my guess is that I might have the same relief but we're not looking at anything long term. I agree I am lucky in this seems to confirm a positive result from the surgery. Although the surgery scares the heck out of me.
DDD
Old 10-14-2011, 06:03 AM

Shebo,
I was right with you on the thoracic pain a few years ago. I did have the Vats , video assisted thoracic surgery. The disks at T7-8 and T11-12 were the pain generators and really bad pain generators when i had discography. Those were the 2 the surgeon operated on, due to a nerve accident he never did finish the lower one.
I have also had a lot of other spine surgeries and am now have laminectomies, facetectomies , and on and on from C4thru L4. It is now also all fused. So i know just how you feel except the shots never helped at all in my thoracic spine.
Please let us know what surgery is planned , how long these shots last, well everything,. we are all here for you
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 10-14-2011, 04:03 PM

Shebo,

You've already been through several back surgeries and you know what to expect. What is the desired surgery that is scaring the heck out of you? What specifically is scarier than before or is it just the surgery itself which we all know is no walk in the park. Do you feel more anxious with this one or is it about the same, just jumping out of your skin bad

BTW, who is your doctor?

Dale
Old 10-14-2011, 04:49 PM

Judy, you have been through so much. I haven't been able to read all that you have been going through lately. I hope it is giving you some relief. Everyone is so supportive here and informative with great advice. I've joined several other forums but the people on this one are great.

Dale, The surgery is a costotrasversectomy of T7/8 and possibly T9/10. I think what is scarier on this one is the fact that they will deflate the lung. Also, anytime someone (medical staff) asks what surgery I will be having their reaction is "wow, that's a big surgery". I try not to get freaked out over what other people say but come on. I'm not to the point of jumping out of my skin. Just a little nervous. It's all good.
DDD
Old 10-15-2011, 05:36 PM

Shebo,

Thank you for your kind words - and now I understand your nervousness. I don't blame you. Not that all surgeries aren't serious but deflating a lung---

When is your new set of injections? And how much longer after another positive result will you schedule surgery? Is it anticipated this will resolve all your pain or what percentage?

So go ahead and freak away, especially appropriate in about 2 weeks. You can dress up as a lung (sorry).

Please keep up posted - Dale
Old 10-15-2011, 09:02 PM

Shebo i had the lung deflated for a few surgeries. It all was Ok they really know what they are doing. That is the anesthesiologists. They have your back in this surgery .
If i lived closer , i could dress up as the other lung!
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 10-16-2011, 05:08 AM

You two are hilarious. I think I will hold off on the halloween costume.

The injections were last Wednesday. It increased my pain as it did last time. I've just been hanging out waiting for some relief.

"Is it anticipated this will resolve all your pain or what percentage?" I'm not sure if you are talking about the surgery or the injections. So I will answer both. The theory behind the injections are since I got 50% pain relief last month then maybe doing another round would decrease the inflammation more. I'm not embracing that idea fully since the pain came back so quick. However, I don't want to say that I didn't try everything before having surgery. Anyway, the surgeon has great confidence that the pain will be relieved with the fusion. I'm supposed to call them weekly to give them an update. If in 2-3 weeks there is no relief, then we will schedule the surgery.

Judy, it is good to hear that the deflation isn't that bad because it sounds horrible. How are you doing?

Thanks.
DDD
Old 10-16-2011, 07:39 AM

Shebo
I really need to update as my last 2 surgeries are not listed. One point about my injection history is my doc does many levels at one time. I do feel like i was used as a punching bag for the next day and then it starts calming down. I did get excellent relief that lasted close to a year with one lumbar set a few years ago. Then in March of this year my lumbar area came back to haunt me. So in August i had lumbar fusion of L3 and L4. He also did laminectomies, foraminotomies etc. (spelling?) as he also had to put in a connector rod starting at T7. I had 2 levels that had a pseudoarthrosis, another compression fracture, among other things that he repaired. So I am 8 weeks out of it and was not very compliant in the beginning. I was for the first week home then i went on to life as usual. So now i am really slowing down the last few weeks. I was thinking about my thoracic Vats surgery and how at 2 months i still had the same pain as before surgery. But a few months later it went away. I wanted to tell you in case i forget later.
I also needed to tell myself as it is still uncomfortable to walk. Something just feels weird. I wake up with pain in my whole back too. Still on pain meds would love to get off them. I may never be off them totally.

I think with the steroid injections some of it gets into your system and causes some energy and feeling good. That is what recent ones did to me and in a week when the systemic steroid effect was over so was the pain relief.

Have you had a discography? Painful test when it is positive.
Have you got opinions from another doc ? How about someone who does a less invasive method of removing the disks at the thoracic levels? Just checking
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 10-16-2011, 07:37 PM

Yes, I have had lots of opinions but nobody wants to work on the thoracic (as you my know). All but one agreed that I needed surgery. I was referred to the doctor that I am seeing now by the doc that did my neck surgery. I had some injections done last year but according to the new MRI's, they were done at the wrong level. He did the nerve root injections to confirm that T7 was where my pain was coming from. I have not had a discogram. Do you have any ideas of someone who does a less invasive? I only know of 2 in the country.

It's a good think you have slowed down. You have had a lot of surgeries. Give yourself time to recover. It feels weird in your hips or your back? Since your last surgery? Maybe from the recovery? After my last surgery, my hip caused me crazy pain because I couldn't lay on my back.

I know how you feel about the pain meds. I would love to be off of them!
DDD
Old 10-17-2011, 06:39 PM

Mark would know more about people in the country who do a less invasive procedure to get to the thoracic discs. I had the VATS procedure done in Los
Angeles (wehre i am living) by DrRegan. Unfortunately he hit a nerve and caused me to loose 50% of my lung capacity. he also was a no show immediately after my surgery. He left a message on my phone saying everything went fine when i was just about dying in the post anesthesia area. I ended up being stabilized although i heard 2 doctors discussing me saying she is stabilized but not out of the woods yet. Nice they must have thought i could not hear. Regan Never came to see me or acknowledge that anything went wrong. But after 4 months my thoracic pain was gone. My lung function too. I know it was an accident that could have happened to any surgeon, just wanted him to help me with finding out what happened or act like he actually cared. If it had been discovered earlier than it could have been fixed . That is the part that totally pisses me off now., I was the one that researched and figured it all out. I had a few pulmonologists who never sent me for testing of the nerve saying no one did it. I found someone good and a good surgeon, but it was too late. Too much scar tissue.

My local surgeon was going to do a thoracotomy . Has anyone mentioned that or why they cannot do that. I'm not sure which is easier on you the one you wrote about or the thoracotomy. funny thing was i ended up having a thoracotomy for my lung surgery!! Funny now.

judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 02-11-2012, 09:35 PM

who did you thoracic surgery? and how could they've operated on the wrong level?
Old 02-12-2012, 02:01 AM

Jeff who are you referring to with your question?
Shebo what has happened to you ?
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 02-13-2012, 12:24 AM

Shebo,

Yes my releif with ESI was amazing, entire mindset changed, but it was devastating when it wore off but had another and thoracic been good until chiro pressed down on my head trying to find out what is hurting in neck.

Second, I saw Dr. Fessler and he does TMED surgury for thoracic, 4-6 weeks healing time , min invasive. I scheduled for july, on fence though cause ESI worked so good and lumbar, cervical are becoming a bad issue. But I am gonna do this first before open fusion and see if it works. If it does great if not, go on to big one. Dr. Fessler was not like any other doc, who look scared talking about Tspine surgury. He said he does many of them with good results. He also does the open fusion if neccessary. Not a recommendation just wanted to run it by you.