Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Update on Me in the Main forums forums; Hi all, I have not been on here in a while, i think depression was the cause . I am better ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 05:26 PM

Default Update on Me

Hi all,
I have not been on here in a while, i think depression was the cause . I am better now. I don't even know if i posted after my Sept 2013 surgery. I had an anterior attempt to fuse my lumbar from L2 -L5. It didn't go too well with more spinal fractures , then i had one in every level some caused by me, unknowingly and some by the surgery . My doc did not let me out of bed at all in the hospital and then kept me in bed for 6 weeks post op. He only recently let me do the normal daily activities. I am hoping i can attend physical therapy after my next visit on March 4th. I need to get something stronger.
since the surgery i have had 2 sets of spinal injections which have now relieved a ton of my pain. I also had kyphoplasty in Dec to repair my 4 lumbar fractures so now bumps on the road are not as dreaded for pain. Most all of my pain is gone as of today as i just had the spinal injections last thursday and again they are doing a great job.

I did develop drop foot moments before my sept surgery and had an EMG pointing to my L4 and L5 nerves which are both severly inflammed. The problem is my MRi is not showing any compression and my foot has not improved at all. I miss wearing my flip flops terribly!

I am still walking very hunched over. I was just diagnosed with osteoporosis after having osteopenia for years. Not good for my hunched overness.
I also just went for a follow up with a pulmonologist and found out my lung capacity went from 70% to only 43%. He blames my back and my inability to stand up right. This concerns me terribly. It is not necessarily painful to walk that way, just very tiring and embarrassing. I hear people talking about me behind my back now it is that bad. I was hoping my bone density had gotten better and i could talk to my surgeon about trying to straighten me out.

I have gone on a short hike 3 times in the last month. I am such a fall risk, i don't want to go alone and don't know anyone except my busy son to go with me. I have one friend who went 2 weeks ago , but i don't think she can handle the slow pace. But i must start exercising. Hiking is the best as i can use my 2 hiking poles to hold me somewhat up right. One cane is not as good walking on a paved path. I did have a mishap and fall flat on my back into a stream on my second attempt which made us turn around. I could not get myself up at all and needed the help of my son and a nice man who saw me fall.

That is kind of my update. i may have more to say when i see my doc next week. Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this. I guess i should put in some statistics as i have not updated my signature.I have now had 11 spinal surgeries and am fused or trying to fuse from C4 thru L5. Not much left.

Judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 02-25-2014, 08:58 PM

Default re update

Hi Judy,
Good to read your update even though some of it isn't too good and some is pretty darn good (the pain free part). The osteopenia to osteoporosis part.. I went there a while back now. I've been getting Prolia injections for that 2x/year. My BMD improved a tiny bit more or rather it appears it improved in my back but worsened in my hip!

I would imagine your lung capacity is affected by your posture. I hope getting out and walking does help you. I would love to offer to walk with you however since I'm not close I cannot and it seems for now my feet prevent me from doing anything more than just a quick bit of shopping and even then if I can use one of those electric carts I will because I've had such bad problems with my posterior tibial tendonitis flaring up.

In fact I've been on a Medrol Dose pack and today is the last day. Supposed to be off my feet for 4 weeks as much as possible. This is week 2 and I'm nearly stir crazy with the lack of activity but then again when my feet are painful oh boy are they bad!

I've been going to PT for my feet in Seal Beach and it does seem to be helping. I still am looking for some alternative methods to be out and about and still off my feet such a mobility scooter, electric bike, etc.

Hmmm.. this aging stuff is getting kind of rough huh?!

Has your doctor prescribed anything for the osteoporosis? I am taking VitD 5000 IU/day faithfully as that's really low for me too and I wasn't really being compliant with that while getting the first 2 doses of Prolia. I think I have one more (if the prescribed treatment is for 2 years). I'm really glad to read you've gotten so much relief pain wise. I know it must be difficult to hear people talk about you behind your back while you're walking but just in case they are wondering how your back got that way or what's wrong with it maybe you'll feel like indulging some inquisitiveness with a reply and that may help educate people and shut them up (the latter in case anyone was being an arse about it)! Would probably surprise a person if you turned around and started talking! My Dad used to get that with how bent his spine was in that S type of fashion although his hearing was impaired so he didn't hear people but he knew they were talking about him. He used to tell them he had very bad osteoporosis (tho he had bad kyphosis and extreme DDD as well). I think some people were surprised that could even affect a male (general population not people with medical background).

Ok meanwhile I hope other things are Ok for you. Again, good to hear from you! Maria

Last edited by Maria; 02-25-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:31 AM
Administrator

Judy, what a tough road you are on. It's so long that you probably can't add last year's surgeries to your signature file.

What do the doctors say about the drop foot? Where is it coming from?

I wish I had something more to say than 'hang in there'. If you are up to getting together let me know... I can come out your way so you don't have a long drive. (Maria... join us?)

I certainly understand the depression... you haven't seem much of me around either. I'm still struggling... just got a thoracic epidural a couple of weeks ago. I got substantial relief, but it only lasted 3 days.

Take care... all the best

Mark

PS... call any time if you want to catch up or commiserate.
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 03-03-2014, 05:19 AM

Mark the drop foot happened just suddenly although i am sure i had painful feelings in my foot and ankle before, just ignored them as they were not as bac as my back. I had an EMG which showed L4 and L5 are severely inflammed. so off to an MRI to show why they are inflammed and it shows no compression of the nerves. so nothing my spine surgeon can do but keep treating me with epidural injections and nerve blocks. so far they have reduced my pain , but done nothing for my foot.

I have no problem driving so i would love to get together, how about you Maria?

judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 03-03-2014, 09:28 PM

Default getting together

Yes! Let's do it! I have foot PT on Tues and Thurs at 10a.m. and take the cat for fluids MWF at 11a.m. so basically on MWF I'm free after noon and T n Th after 11ish.

My vehicle just started with some weird noise .. something to do with the brakes and air in the system (at the very least). Took it to a really good little Mom and Pop shop in Seal Beach (love this hood) and the guy checked it out and said his computer wouldn't talk to my computer so I may need to take it to the dealer (UGH)! Also have some issues with the idling of the vehicle so may have my car in the shop really soon BUT I'm still up for hanging out w/both of you if at all possible!

Judy are you wearing a brace on that foot? The guy whose patented brace I'm wearing (Douglas Richie podiatrist) on both feet has braces out for varying condition and I noted that drop foot was one.

Re the cute little sandals and stuff I gave that up long ago. Ugly sandals would be cool for me but alas I'm stuck in oversized tennis shoes to wear the orthotic/brace combo on both feet. Whatever works/helps is ok with me.

Mark sounds like we're all having some chronically f'd up issues. Sorry for the unlady like description of the issues however it is what it is and this posterior tibial tendonitis chronic stuff really sucks. Still I am trying to be upbeat about it

Yah.. let's hang out.. we needs us some cadiallac margaritas!
Old 03-04-2014, 03:22 AM

OK i am in to hang out . i have the clinic i work at on Tuesday . i leave my house around 4:30 and like to be home an hour before so i can change and try to eat something.
Then seeing i get home in the wee hours of the morning i don't do WEdnesday mornings very well or at all.
Other that that i am a free person usually. I do have an apt in LA on this thursday morning, but friday is good for me , then the week of the 9th i am free all week except the tuesday night/wed am thing.

I did read your post and look up the braces. Look more comfy than mine. I am wearing one , I have to or i will be tripping over everything and nothing.
I like to get dressed up a bit on Tuesday evenings and it is just that sneakers look silly with a dress or skirt.
Lets do this, when are you available Mark?

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 03-16-2014, 09:58 PM

Default I would like to suggest this type of exercise...

A very good exercise is to get in a pool and walk. You can experiement with how deep you like to walk. I usually do it at about shoulder height. The water alows me to do exagerated movements that I can't normally do. Which helps cut the tension down in my body. It is also good for your back muscles. I have done a lot of exercises to strengthen my back but most just seem to irritate it. Sometimes, no matter what you do, you irritate your back or neck. But, it is important to keep moving those parts of your body that are still capable of moving.

Just make sure you check with your doctor before starting anything and listen to your body. And, I am not always confident that doctors know what is going on either when it comes to physical activity. My personal belief is that once the doctors put restriction on activity, then you open up the chances of creating a case for being disabled, restricted activity and/or restricted employment. I am synical in this regard. Just my humble opinion. I once confronted my doctor on it and asked him why he never told me I had any restrictions. He told me I had restrictions....... I said, "When, you never told me squat!" He said, "Yaa, you shouldn't have been lifting anything over 30 pounds since my last surgery." I had my charts and absolutely knew he gave me know restrictions. If you are not of retirement age and decide to file for disability, it is likely that your surgeon or GP will be filling out paper work and may have to defend their opinion in a disability hearing (time away from the office) and they won't get paid. Trust me, they would rather be doing other things. Always listen to your body though and be very careful when trying to come back from a big surgery like that. Need to be super ubber gental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsewell View Post
Hi all,
I have not been on here in a while, i think depression was the cause . I am better now. I don't even know if i posted after my Sept 2013 surgery. I had an anterior attempt to fuse my lumbar from L2 -L5. It didn't go too well with more spinal fractures , then i had one in every level some caused by me, unknowingly and some by the surgery . My doc did not let me out of bed at all in the hospital and then kept me in bed for 6 weeks post op. He only recently let me do the normal daily activities. I am hoping i can attend physical therapy after my next visit on March 4th. I need to get something stronger.
since the surgery i have had 2 sets of spinal injections which have now relieved a ton of my pain. I also had kyphoplasty in Dec to repair my 4 lumbar fractures so now bumps on the road are not as dreaded for pain. Most all of my pain is gone as of today as i just had the spinal injections last thursday and again they are doing a great job.

I did develop drop foot moments before my sept surgery and had an EMG pointing to my L4 and L5 nerves which are both severly inflammed. The problem is my MRi is not showing any compression and my foot has not improved at all. I miss wearing my flip flops terribly!

I am still walking very hunched over. I was just diagnosed with osteoporosis after having osteopenia for years. Not good for my hunched overness.
I also just went for a follow up with a pulmonologist and found out my lung capacity went from 70% to only 43%. He blames my back and my inability to stand up right. This concerns me terribly. It is not necessarily painful to walk that way, just very tiring and embarrassing. I hear people talking about me behind my back now it is that bad. I was hoping my bone density had gotten better and i could talk to my surgeon about trying to straighten me out.

I have gone on a short hike 3 times in the last month. I am such a fall risk, i don't want to go alone and don't know anyone except my busy son to go with me. I have one friend who went 2 weeks ago , but i don't think she can handle the slow pace. But i must start exercising. Hiking is the best as i can use my 2 hiking poles to hold me somewhat up right. One cane is not as good walking on a paved path. I did have a mishap and fall flat on my back into a stream on my second attempt which made us turn around. I could not get myself up at all and needed the help of my son and a nice man who saw me fall.

That is kind of my update. i may have more to say when i see my doc next week. Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this. I guess i should put in some statistics as i have not updated my signature.I have now had 11 spinal surgeries and am fused or trying to fuse from C4 thru L5. Not much left.

Judy

Last edited by Ringo; 03-16-2014 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:47 AM
Administrator

Friday? I'll have to leave about 1:30 to pick up Zoey....
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 03-17-2014, 04:48 PM

Default hmm

Friday.. I have to be at the Vet's at 11 and usually get back around 11:30 or 11:45 so I'd have to see if I can bring her in earlier that day. Still have to arrange for the cleaning. I want it done in the morning vs. afternoon as it's difficult to keep my old kitty from getting stressed out so if in the a.m. I can drop her off at the Vet's and go back and pick her up afterwards.

You guys go ahead and figure out what you're doing and I'll try to make it if I can.

The first week in April I have to go to San Diego for a PM appt. and I have company for a few days very end of March/into the first week of April so 2nd week in April would be good for me. I still have my PT schedule on T-Th around 10a.m. to 11a.m. and then MWF take Alaska to the Vets at 11a.m.

I'm already tired just writing this! Wow.. can't believe I've slowed down this much Got to remember to call to schedule my B12 shot this week!!!!
Old 03-18-2014, 04:41 PM

Anyone ok with Saturday? Seems like Friday you two are busy. On saturday i will just have to leave at 3:30 to go home and get my daughter to work, but i could come in the morning and we will still have a lot of time.

Or could we meet Friday afternoon?
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 03-19-2014, 04:28 AM

Default re Friday or Saturday

Judy,
Friday after I take Alaska might work for me and/or Saturday but I have to check with Edgar to see when we're going to take our taxes in to the accountant. I'll keep you posted.