Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss My current status... in the Main forums forums; edited as necessary...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2007, 04:34 PM

Default My current status...

edited as necessary

Last edited by Maria; 05-17-2009 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:07 PM

Maria,

Isn't is amazing how GOD works in mysterious ways? I do hope your decline in pain and symptoms is permanant and not transient. As a mechanics wife I've seen the same thing happen with cars (not that I liken you to a car) but I've also spoken to doctors about the 'white coat syndrome' too.

The big question is are you still going to proceed with your surgery or will you take a wait and see stance? I think everyone would react differently, some saying wait and others not taking the chance of having to wait again, especially with the fight you've made.

Whatever you decide, I do wish you good luck,

Dale
Old 01-28-2007, 11:11 PM

Maria,
Forgive the pun..."I've not had such a good spell for years." Here's the 'spell' S-T-R-E-S-S. I'm convinced that stress hits us in our most vulnerable parts and can do awful things. You struggled against the wc system and different docs and diagnoses and treatment recommendations for years. Now that you know where you are going/can go with your back, now that all that uncertainty and frustration is eliminated, it is reflected in a reduction of symptoms. Well, that's my totally unscientific theory!

Whatever the cause, enjoy it and let's hope it continues!
Old 01-28-2007, 11:19 PM

*Great* news!

But confounding.

Maybe an/some adhesions broke loose. Whatever, enjoy.

ans
Old 01-29-2007, 03:24 AM

Default loosened adhesions..

Yes, I think this is what happened...
I'm going to have bunion surgery prior to more back surgery. The gimping gait will likely set off my spine again so I definately don't want to do this after surgery, tho at this moment I don't feel like scheduling either surgery!
Old 01-29-2007, 10:22 PM

I guess you don't fall in this category:

http://tinyurl.com/2m9f6q
Old 01-29-2007, 10:49 PM

Default surgical addiction

ans~ I think not~ had the first bunion done around 4 years ago and should have had the other one done sometime shortly after recovery from other (some people do them together) but getting around was too difficult as it was with my gait all destroyed~

Today I took a walk with friend and dogs ~ we were gone from 8a.m. to nearly 11a.m. and after that I went shopping and after that I did laundry. I'm still doing OK. Actually getting a headache from all my activities and little sleep tho the spine feels fine.

Dr.D's office called to schedule surgery today I noted. Sitting brings about some discomfort but it's not maddening like it used to be. I know it can get to that after a period of time tho!
Old 01-30-2007, 03:11 PM

Default Mental outlook

edited as necessary

Last edited by Maria; 05-17-2009 at 08:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-30-2007, 05:27 PM

That's too bad, and condescending that "it's all in the mind". Reminds me of this lunatic (maybe he has something about O2 deprivation); we've seen this:

http://www.spiritsite.com/writing/johsar/

You are a seasoned NP who could have easily gotten into medical school(sorry to reveal this). This "all surgeons are butchers" must be hard to take - esp. since you were a surgical nurse too.

Hoping for a long-term remission; really, maybe some adhesions broke off a/some nerves.

ans

Last edited by ans; 01-30-2007 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:08 PM

Exclamation belittling medical profession

ans~
Dr.Sarno is kinda quacky I think... but some of what he says is probably real true.
All I know is I tried for years to get my mind over my matter and nothing happened until recently.
I do have some kind of reverence for what my neighbor was saying re his attitude and overcoming his situation ~however, everyone is different in their ability to get it back together and the degree of physical pain and limitations that so many of us go thru and endure is just so devastating that one cannot even crawl to the bathroom sometimes let alone on a steady progression to "out there" back in the real world!

I think he's seen a lot given his medical problems and I think I've seen more given the fact I worked as a nurse all of my career, but that mattered little, just his opinion. We are all entitled to that~ not worth butting heads over. Just wish all good things didn't have to end!

Last edited by Maria; 01-30-2007 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:22 AM

I like what I'm hearing... it's the new Maria (fingers crossed)! Maybe somehow you can delay scheduling, but not lose your status until you see if this good spell is the start of trend. Could be that your body is finally adjusting, like Dr. Yeung (and other docs) told us.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:43 AM

This condescending fellow appears to be on a mission to prove that what worked for him is "the way." As you know, life, spinal problems, etc. are not so one-size -fits-all. I do think that fortitudine's idea of decreased stress, however, may be a factor. After finally, finally, being heard, being treated with respect by 3 docs in LA, I finally, finally experienced some relief of the tight muscles in my back; my physical therapist commented that it was as if a burden had been lifted. That doesn't mean my cervical problems have magically disappeared.

Enjoy feeling better and doing more!
Old 01-31-2007, 01:13 PM

Default decreased stress....

edited as necessary

Last edited by Maria; 05-17-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:16 PM

Talking Dancing and cleaning out closet...

This is Friday, Feb.2nd and I have called the surgeon's office 4 days this week in attempt to schedule surgery. I've not yet been able to speak to the scheduler. I'm planning on scheduling for mid April (doing right foot bunion surgery beginning of March).

Last edited by Maria; 02-02-2007 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:55 AM

Hi Maria,

Don't let the advice from this friend get to you. Even though he as went through his share of spine issues - obviously, not really the same pattern of symptoms. As we all know, the symptoms can vary and strike intermittently.

It is good to hear that you are getting a breather from chronic pain at this point and enjoying life. That is what matters most - right?
Old 02-03-2007, 01:00 PM

Default thanks Poncho..

edited as necessary

Last edited by Maria; 05-17-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:47 PM

Default Dr D's Office

Hi Maria

You’re so right about that Dr D’s office is very hard to deal with. My suggestions are to call first thing in the AM 8:00 or 9:00 they take long lunches and leave around 4:00 or earlier on Fridays quite the life. Ask for the extensions to the individuals that you are working with. Make sure that when you get them on the line you make a time and date that they will call you back and let them know when you will be contacting them back as well. Don’t expect for them to get back to you. Follow up on everything (put them into your speed dial). Once you get though this part and into surgery things will be much better I love working with the PA’s they are great and get back to me within hours of leaving them a message. I can only imagine how crazy it must be these days in that office. Good luck and remember if you don’t advocate for yourself no one will!

PS: I am here for you call any time.
T-12 Compression Fracture 10/04
C-7 Spines Process Fracture 5/99