Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss 3 Years Post-Op - My 2nd "Birthday" in the Main forums forums; Hi guys, I felt compelled to post that I'm now 3 years post-op from a 2 level Prodisc ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2007, 05:03 PM

Default 3 Years Post-Op - My 2nd "Birthday"

Hi guys,

I felt compelled to post that I'm now 3 years post-op from a 2 level Prodisc ADR.

Though I'm not "perfect", I will accept this life over the one I had leading up to this last surgery. Perhaps intermittent aches and pains are a "reminder" not to over do it. I don't know.

I can't believe the changes that have transpired since this back injury, but I will try to give the cliff notes version.

Where I've been:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
-December 1999 - L5-S1 herniated disc with micro-d - "successful" and back to work in 6 weeks.

-September 2001 - Bulging disc at L4-L5 after lifting a patient from the bed to a CT table. Work comp "victim"...

-Tried every non-surgical intervention under the sun, minimal relief. I was given a lot of confusing advice - anything from "Here, your depressed - here is a Rx for an anti-depressant" ~To~ Lets schedule for a 2 level fusion next week.

-***Lots and Lots of research***

-November 2002 - Endoscopic discectomy in Munich, Germany. Little relief, not much. Back pain remained.

-Worsening pain and symptoms multiple visits to a variety of surgeons both ADR surgeons and fusion surgeons (Neuro & Ortho).

-October 2003 - Spiney Conference in California held by Mark and Dr. Bertagnoli. Met Dr. B. in person regarding spiney issues.

-May 2004 - 2 level ADR by Dr. Bertagnoli

-May 2004 - December 2004 - Recovery process and went through withdraw from Methadone. Took a couple months to feel "normalish".

-February 2005 - Back to work

-May 2005 - New York Spine Symposium - Venue organized by Mark and I think sponsored by the Viscolosi Brothers. - After speaking with them I was inspired to go for my MBA.

-June 2005 - Started MBA program

-June 2005 - May 2007 - Lots of studying and small improvements with the back and intermittent leg pain.

-June 2007 - Graduating with an MBA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have everyone to thank on the spine forums for my success with my recovery and where I am at today. You see, when I had injured my back at work (2nd back injury)and treated like a 2nd class citizen, I was not computer literate. We had bought a computer for Christmas of December 2001 and I'll bet it sat in the box for a good month before my husband and I decided to hook things up and stuff. This was due to a lack of interest, computer illiterate, and chronic pain issues.

I finally figured out how to operate the computer (with lots of help from my husband) enough to surf the internet and came across a spine forum. Probably within a couple weeks. The spineys there showed me how to post and what different abbreviations meant. I feel that I have just grown from there. Being an active member of the forums helped me to understand and identify the issues we are all going through. I'm not sure if I would have kept my sanity if I didn't have someone else to go to other than my husband who was burned out with the same story day after day....

I could go on, but I think I will stop here before it becomes an "information overload" type of post.

You all still inspire me and I hope that some how, some way each and every one of you will find relief or have their symptoms minimized from chronic pain issues.

Time to get ready for work....

Take care,
Poncho
Old 05-23-2007, 06:05 PM

Default Happy Spiney Bday!!!

Hey Sue,
Thanks for the listing so concisely what you've been thru and the summarization of where you are today because of where you were~

I'm still free floating to some degree re spinal issues however, must say that I've had a taste of life again and it has been wonderful!

My spine is strange. Seems to really rage against sitting which has been the standard NORM for too many years to list, however, walking and walking and more walking seems to just put me right now.

My biggest accomplishment of the last year has been driving intercities more w/o fear altho not on freeway yet and losing 20 lbs!!!!

The loss of 20lbs has put me into size 2 and 3 clothing and yesterday I bought a very tailored jacket that is a size 0.

My other major accomplishment is happiness~ not always tho enough to have made a difference in my life~

OK, moving on~ it's been 3 years since your spine implantation and here I am still sitting on the fence~ one of these days I'll move along I suppose and when I do, I hope to join you in leading a more functional productive life~

Congrats to you on your progression thru the spinal maze, the surgeries, the recoveries, and getting off the pain meds (that must be wonderful living w/o Methadone/laxatives~ being able to think clearly), and the upcoming MBA you're about to receive!!!! If you could sit to get thru all that, then your spine must be pretty incredible (as well as your mind for being able to think)!!

Happy 2nd Bday and many more great bdays because of this one!!!!

Last edited by Maria; 05-23-2007 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:14 PM

Poncho,

Wow, 3 years post-op and not only getting your life back but also creating a new one. My absolute congratulations on your upcoming graduation. I envy your recovery and have hopes of reporting a great recovery when I hit 3 years.

You are an inspiration to those who have the misfortune of following in your footsteps by giving them hope which we all need(ed) so desperately.

Go get 'em girl, Dale
Old 05-24-2007, 04:07 PM

Default Congratulations

Congratulations on moving forward and achieving your goal despite obstacles.

ans
Old 05-24-2007, 04:38 PM

Hi Maria,

Making that decision is like 80% of the battle! It brings up the questions: Am I bad enough? Am I getting better? Would surgery make things worse?Only the patient knows the severity of symptoms and overall quality of life to come to that decision.

Maria, you have definitely made enormous accomplishments with achieving a masters degree in nursing after your spine injury. I don't know how you did it, but you did.

Timing is everything - you will know when it is time to make that decision to have surgery again.

Dale,
Thank-you for the kind words. It has definitely been an uphill battle. I certainly hope to do good things with this degree as it relates to spine stuff.

Ans,
Thank-you for the congrats.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to Eddie G

Happy Birthday.

Many pain free more.
Epidurals and facet injections
5/15/06 Discogram confirmed L4-L5 DDD also an asymptomatic L5-S1 tear
10/24/06 L4-L5 Prodisc surgery with Dr. Goldstein
CAT scans & X-Rays show ossification
Trigger Point Injections, Medial Branch Blocks, Acupuncture, Weekly Deep Tissue Massage
10/27/08 Discogram (positive L5-S1)
11/25/08 L5-S1 fusion with Dr. Goldstein
FAILED BACK SYNDROME
Liberty Mutual WC
Old 05-24-2007, 11:07 PM

Default re the MSN

Sue,
Youth (was 32 at the time of my MSN program)
No surgeries at that point, only injury
Tenacity
No pain or other drugs
Beanbag chair
desperate to not end my career at such a young age

Imagine not being able to do research with computer at time or papers.. pretty much was doing everything by going to library and looking everything up, photocopying and so forth... only a few people in class back then even had desktops ~ 1983

I still think an MBA program kicks royal mental butt~ must be clear of mind to endure that area of study.. just thinking about this type of material would make me too tired to keep my eyes open! Ah ha.. new sleep remedy for me!!!!

Last edited by Maria; 05-24-2007 at 11:08 PM. Reason: edit
Old 05-25-2007, 12:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to Blairsara

Poncho
Congrats on your 3 year anniversary and your MBA. I can imagine going for your MBA was quite difficult. I just wanted to let you know, that knowing you finished is motivation for me - that I will be able to finish my law degree. The first year is the hardest year and I got through it. Anyways, I just wanted you to know that your own determination and perseverance in a way helps me keep on track. If other people can be in constant pain and drugs and get their MBA I can do the same with getting my JD. So thanks And I hope too that one day I can be someone else's motivation.

Blair
Spondylolisthesis
1/04 fall in Vegas
1/04-5/04 epiderals
6/24/04 Charite L5/S1
10/04-present new pain from facet joints caused by Charite; 10 facet blocks
12/06 rhizotomy left side
3/07 rhizotomy right side
5/10/2007 Charite removed, anterior IF, posterior instrumentation
180 mg MS-contin; Oxycodone; 16 mg Zanaflex
Old 05-27-2007, 02:00 AM

Default Congrats!

Hi Sue,
Congratulations on getting your MBA. I'm glad you are still doing well physically too. If you can find a way to use your MBA to help spineys, that would be wonderful. I know what you mean about the different sorts of advice and doctors' opinions one has to sift through. It's enough to worsen any health problem!

Hope
Old 05-28-2007, 04:36 PM

Default Happy Birthday

Hi Sue

Wow 3 years it feels like yesterday I was wishing you a happy first b-day. Congrats on finishing your MBA. You have worked hard and I can't wait to find out what is in your future.

As for me my ProDisc is doing great and I have no pain in that area and not taking more then Advil. But I am on high doses due to SI pain that I believe is still plaguing me from the original injury. I have a CT scan tomorrow and Dr D will be helping me diagnose what is going on. Do you know anything about SI joints? I'm not letting it slow me down off to pull weeds and go for a bike ride.

As for the Adoption I am plugging along on the wait. It may not be until next year so plenty of time to continue getting strong. Just can't wait to start my next adventure. What about you any exciting plans for the future?

Love your little Prodisc Sis
T-12 Compression Fracture 10/04
C-7 Spines Process Fracture 5/99