Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss cervical spondylitic myelopathy in the Main forums forums; Hi I am a 51 year old mum with a long history of back trouble. I had a laminectomy at ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-09-2007, 09:09 AM

Angry cervical spondylitic myelopathy

Hi I am a 51 year old mum with a long history of back trouble. I had a laminectomy at 21 followed by a 3 level lumbar fusion 15 years ago. For the last 10 years I have been having cervical facet injections. I recently had a new MRI which I had to push for because I have had so many problems with my arms & shoulders and I felt these were coming from my neck. I now find I have multi level disc protrusions facet degeneration and foramen obstruction.
I have been told I now have myelopathy which certainly explains my clumsy gait pressure in the head and behind my eye with pins and needles in my face I have motor loss in my r arm. My Uk doctors are not keen on fusion or adr and have almost 'put me out to pasture' saying my spine may fuse independantly prioir to permanent damage! They say the main prob is at C4/5 but there is no pressure on the cord (although it can be seen both on film and via symptoms!) This is not the view of 2 Dr's I have consulted in Germany who have seen my MRI however their opinoins differ! One tells me I need ADR at level C5/6 6/7 and a clean up at 3/4 4/5 the other says I need a neuclectomy at C3/4 to relieve pressure on the cord and then watch and wait for whether to go for more! However both insist this must be done asap to prevent further damage.
I am now completely confused as to how to proceed and would apprecaiate any advice particularly from others with cervical problems who have had surgery