Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in the Main forums forums; THANK YOU!!! I really appreciate ALL the advice that was given to me on my other thread, and for each ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2007, 10:19 PM

Default Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU!!!

I really appreciate ALL the advice that was given to me on my other thread, and for each of you taking time out of your schedules to offer me suggestions.

I did end up calling my family doctor and tried to explain to him what was going on to see if HE had any advice, well...that got me NOWHERE!! He told me I needed to make an appointment to see him. After TRYING to explain that I would NOT be able to make it there, considering it is impossible for me to make it down the stairs without crying in pain....He said he could not offer any other advice, other than to maybe go to the ER...

I DON'T GET IT!!! I REALLY DON'T GET IT!! I have NOT been able to stop crying for almost 2 days. I don't know what to with myself (pathetic eh?), I don't know if I am feeling sorry for myself or what!!

I don't have a spinal doctor anymore. I only have my family doctor and in the past when I have gone to him with "flare-ups", I ALWAYS get the "you know, these flare-ups that you say you have are just set-backs, and you have to learn that you need to work through them, and realize that you aren't doing anymore harm to your body." HOW THE HELL DOES HE KNOW THAT?? Anyone?? Don't get me wrong I have had "set-backs" or "flare-ups" that might last a day or two but at the same time I can still function pretty good.

What I am experiencing and going through now is NOT like any other "flare-ups" that I have had. This is MUCH, MUCH worse!!! This is reminding me of the episode I had before my surgery. Yet, HOW do you get it through the head of your doctor???

Ugh!!!! I just don't know. I feel like I am "Up $#!^$ creek without a paddle, I have NO idea where to go or what to do from here?? Do I just keep waiting it out or what?? When or at what point do you figure out what the HECK you are suppose to do??

I don't know, I just don't know........All I DO KNOW is, THIS SUCKS!!!
Old 09-08-2007, 10:57 PM

Rose,

You're confused, afraid, hurting and panicking. Your emotions are on the surface and your doctor won't listen to you. First of all, breathe and try to relax. I once had a 'flare up' with my muscles so tight I couldn't move at all without grimacing pain. It lasted for a full four days before letting up and then, only slightly. Muscle relaxers and anti-inflams did nothing. It eventually passed. Even as I write this, I did something yesterday and can't move today. Pain meds and sleeping pills help a lot!!!!

Second, your doctor is right, he needs to see you. Diagnosing over the phone is impossible. Even if you had a neuro or ortho, they would need to see you and order the appropriate tests.

Then again, there are doctors and there are doctors. Some are more caring and some are more astute. You also obviously need a referrel. I don't know which insurance you have but if you're unhappy with your current doctor, see someone else. But first things first. Call your Dr. again and ask if he'll prescribe something for your pain. You still might not be able to move but you'll at least be comfortable. Vicodin in one of my favorites. Then, after this episode passes, call for an appointment or a referrel... or find a different primary. Surely you know someone who is happy with their Dr. Calmly and rationally explain your circumstances and get the tests ordered. Then you'll know what's going on and can explore your options.

So now you have a plan. Getting comfortable is your first order of business. You can't think when you're in that much pain.

Hoping your pain subsides soon, Dale
Old 09-09-2007, 07:28 AM

Hi Rose,
I understand how frustrated you are. I think that you should take your Dr. up on the ER visit. As a nurse I don't approve of people using the ER for primary care type appts, but if you are in so much pain you can't move about your home than it would seem appropriate to go to the ER. After you get something for your pain and an assessment from an ER Dr. you could maybe make an appt with your primary to discuss the not normal situation you are having.
Some times I have a problem communicating with my Dr.. When I do feel like we are on different pages I just frankly tell him what I want. The worst that will happen is he won't give you what you are asking for but he should offer an explanation as to why not. If you don't get anywhere with him...time to find another Dr. Remember he works for you! You are the comsumer!
Good luck!
PS. I don't think you are asking too much for an MRI. I think he should be ordering it based on your history!
Old 09-09-2007, 03:57 PM

Hi Rose,

If you are in that kind of pain where you are crying continuously - I would seriously consider taking up your docs advice and get into the ER. It sounds like that this current pain cycle needs to be interrupted (even if it is temporary) so you can get a break from it, get some rest, and be able to gather your thoughts.

If your radiology exams are over a year old as suggest by Firey - I would agree with her to make a plan with your docs to get them repeated.

Take care Rose - I hope that you are able to get some relief soon.

Sincerely,
Poncho
Old 09-09-2007, 04:21 PM

Default advice

Rose,
I think considering what you're reporting your PCP is correct in advising you to go to the ER should the painful episode be that severe and debilitating.

Personally I went thru many episodes that lasted weeks and I wasn't functional because of the pain, I was in fact bedridden and never once did I go to an ER for treatment however, many persons I have known did and were assessed for their current status, and/or treated for an acute flareup type of situation with possibly some diagnostics being done that ER visit depending on the subjective and objective findings (complaint that brought you in and the examination findings).

As I previously stated if you are in severe unrelenting or increasing pain and/or you have numbness or loss of use of extremities, or loss of bowel or bladder tone, these are reasons to head off to the ER.

You are distressed and quite obviously as one cannot function as needed when in your current painful situation so I would most definately seek some answers/treatment. You are in an acute painful state right now so it would make sense to go to the ER and be seen and there either have a recommendation to follow up with a spine doc (if necessary) or other speciality if needed.

The other thing I wanted to mention is that sometimes we become used to blaming our spines for every ache and pain and there can be other underlying causes for pain that would be otherwise missed if not checked out medically.

Good luck, please keep us posted.