Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Update in the Main forums forums; I am three months post-op from my 3-level ADR with Dr. Bertagnoli. I cannot believe how much my ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2007, 01:58 PM

Talking Update

I am three months post-op from my 3-level ADR with Dr. Bertagnoli. I cannot believe how much my quality of life has improved since surgery.I see a physiotherapist once a week, mainly for upper body massage / manipulation & acupuncture, as I have a series of daily exercises I do at home, focusing mainly on core strengthening and stretching. It seems I unconsciously protect my lower back, causing stress to my upper body. Next week I am returning to a self-directed therapy swim program now that I can resume full range-of-motion. I am walking up to 10 km (6 miles) several days per week.
For the most part, my pain level is pretty minimal. I do have rough days where it peaks around a 6 -8 level. I have cut out the Amitriptyline completely, stopped the Flexeril and decreased the Oxycontin to 20 - 40 mg daily prn. I find if I keep active, my pain level is minimal to managable at a 3 - 4 level. I do have bilateral hip pain a few times per week which does concern me that it's the L1/2 and 2/3 rearing its ugly head.
The numbness to my left foot and lower leg continues, but while bothersome, I can live with it. It seems I have developed lymphodema to my left leg. Again, if I keep active, the swelling and discomfort are minimized. I do have to be careful when walking as the numbness to my right foot increases greatly. I must watch every step to avoid falling. I did have a fall two weeks ago, one moment of inattention and down I went. It only resulted in a bruised and banged up knee; thank goodness I continue to wear my back brace with the strapping when I am out walking or hiking. My hubby wants me to wear knee and elbow pads as well as a helmet... , yah, I don't THINK so!!! He does drive me a little crazy with his mother hen thing! I did get a pair of trekking sticks in Germany and I LOVE them. I am so excited; we are going up to Tobermory and the Bruce Penisula to camp and hike this weekend, the fall colours should be spectacular!!
Okay, folks, when does the distraction pain rear its ugly head? Given it is next to impossible to see my family doc more than once per 3 month period, I thought I should be proactive and get a script for Lyrica or Neurotin when I see her this week.
By the way, Mark, I finally got that package mailed out to you on Monday. I am such a procrastinator!!
Old 09-25-2007, 04:13 PM

Wow, what a story of success. Hopefully you're remembering to take things slow and are not pushing too hard. Your walking is great as is your core strengthening. I too protect my lower back with upper back consequences. I don't think this is abnormal.

As for the distraction pain and preemptive Neurontin/Lyrica. If you need these drugs, by all means but to take these mind altering drugs when not needed is not necessary. They're definitely great in relieving nerve pain but the side effects are for the birds. Plus, if you don't already have/had distraction pain, you probably won't. A better idea is to talk to your doctor about your concerns asking if you can call and get a prescription if needed down the line.

Regardless, I wish you a continued uncompliated recovery and please remember to take it slow, but it seems like you're doing it right. And let your husband hover. It's comforting to him, and despite your objections, comforting to you too and I have a feeling you would do no less yourself.

Please take care, Dale
Old 09-25-2007, 05:59 PM

Smile recovery

Sounds like you are really walking your butt off! I guess that's great unless the amount of walking is contributing to your hip/pain symptoms....

Anyway, use of the walking sticks sounds good and maybe even the protective equip your hub recommended if you are trekking on uneven terrain.

I say this only because even tho I've not had surgery since '92, I am not sure footed on uneven terrain and the last thing I want to do is fall and give myself any unnecessary spinal grief. I've finally reached a point where I can walk pretty nicely for long distances without back pain although my feet/knees are often complaining before my back kicks if it does at all..

Wish I could see fall colors again, sure do miss the East coast/Mass/VA for this! Have a great trip, be careful (mother henning myself) and enjoy all the lovely fall colors!!!

Continued good healing thoughts going out your way
Old 09-26-2007, 01:43 PM

I always have the "slow and steady wins the race" motto in the back of my mind. LOL... I am trying to walk my butt off as my 2 1/2 years of being a couch potato were not kind! My hips actually "release" as I walk and feel much more fluid and comfortable. 10 km is the upper end of my tolerance, where I still feel great, but hips just start to feel tight again. It is such fine line, isn't it?! I don't worry too much about my lt. knee. I just finished another course of Synvisc injections as I am putting off a replacement as long as I can and it is effective in managing most of the pain.

Maybe I will be one of the lucky ones and have no distraction pain. I wasn't planning on filling the script if I do get one, just have it on hand in case I need it. After several years of being on many drugs, I am anxious for a drug holiday and hope to stop the Oxycontin, except perhaps on a prn basis, in the next few weeks. The drugs have affected my cognitive functioning and I hate it. My hubby does tell me I am rather irritable lately, which is unusual as I am pretty laid back and I do notice my sleep pattern is also affected; all part of the weaning off process.

I plan on taking lots of pictures; maybe Mark can post a couple when I return. I just hope we will finally get some more comfortable fall weather. This continued heat and humidity is really taxing as I get migraines and sinus headaches, not to mention, it's just too darn hot to be active.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:52 PM

Default me too..

I too am walking my bumm off after years of being a couch potato! Now I'm out most of the day w/o any real prob~ walking seems to provide me with great relief as long as I don't "overdo" which sometimes I do push my limits to the max and then at night will lie in bed saying "ahhhhhh" like I would die if not able to lie down. That's rare tho as I'm probably not really that active!

Anyway, re the humidity and migraines~ oh yeah... I had a rough August because of this. It got so hot in humid where I was living in an upstairs un airconditioned apt. while I was trying to pack to put things in storage..

Now it's cooler and the migraines have died down pretty well.. thankfully.

Would love to see the photos if they can be posted~ take good care and glad to hear you're progressing so well!
Old 09-27-2007, 03:09 AM

Best of luck to your success and hoping this is your last surgery ever.

Allan
Old 09-27-2007, 10:01 PM

I saw my doc today and she recommends trying

1) Ibuprophen 800mg immediately as soon as pain starts

or

2) Acetaminophen 1000 mg immediately as soon as pain starts

3) If neither effective separately, take them both together as soon as pain starts

If the above doesn't work, back to the drawing board. She also recommended Gatorade prior to and during work out.

Hopefully with fall weather finally here, the temperatures will cool down and the humidity will go.

Last edited by ClassicZippo; 09-27-2007 at 10:07 PM. Reason: oops, hit enter button
Old 09-27-2007, 10:10 PM

Thanks Allan, I do hope this is the beginning and end of back surgery. Too bad not everyone has the same positive outcome. My family physician is amazed at the change in me.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:51 AM

Dear Classic,

I asked my pharmacist how much acetimenophin (sic) I should take and she recommened not more than 2000 mg/day due to its liver toxicity and other NSAID concerns (e.g. blood pressure). This is one opinion though.

Congrats to you. Best ~ ans
Old 09-30-2007, 09:57 PM
Administrator

Deb.... great news about your recovery... it sounds like you are able to maintain a very high activity level...

I'm jealous about the camping, sounds great. I'm so glad that you and Doug are enjoying your bounce back... way cool. Is that an amazing process or what?

Are you sure that your hip pain is not from a hip problem?

Your phone is ringing.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 09-30-2007, 10:12 PM
Administrator

WOW... spoke to Deb and Doug... It's so wonderful to hear a spouse express the amazing change... I'm so happy for you both!

Yes, I wish we could package this and spread it around more.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 10-01-2007, 06:38 PM

Hi Ans
The maximum daily dosage of acetaminophen is 4000 mg (or 4 grams). I don't know why your pharmacist would tell you 2000 mg unless there are contraindications to the 4000 mg limit. Many consumers are under the mistaken belief that acetaminophen is safe at any dose. Also, people tend to forget to account for other OTC medications containing acetaminophen, like cold and sleep preparations. FYI - I am a Reg. Nurse and try to keep current with medication information.

Sure enough, while out hiking on Sat. the boring pain to my head hit. Given the unusual circumstances (only 2 days to hike these trails), I took both the Ibuprophen and acetaminophen combo. It didn't progress beyond the boring pain and that was minimized. Yipee!
Old 10-01-2007, 06:45 PM

It was a pleasure speaking to you yesterday, Mark. I have my three-month x-rays tomorrow and will call you tomorrow evening (afternoon, your time!). The weekend was awesome. While the (lack of) changing leaves were disappointing, the trails more than made up for it. The scenery was breathtaking! I never, in my wildest dreams, thought I could hike the trails we hiked this weekend; what a rush! My next goal is to take up kayaking.