Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss Anyone taking Nortriptyline (Pamelor) in the Main forums forums; Anyone taking Nortriptyline (Pamelor)? I asked for an EMG test so they sent me to a new Pain Manager. He ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2007, 08:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to Eddie G
Default Anyone taking Nortriptyline (Pamelor)

Anyone taking Nortriptyline (Pamelor)?

I asked for an EMG test so they sent me to a new Pain Manager. He never got the referral so he gave me 6 weeks of PT and a bottle of Pamelor. It is used at an anti-depressant though I'm not depressed. They say this drug will allow me to take less Oxycontin. It doesn't make sense that taking MORE drugs is going to help me take less drugs. I'm wary of taking Pamelor because I know nothing about it, and nobody who takes it.
Can someone kindly give me some insight into this drug.
What organ does it hurt the most?
Is it safer than Oxycontin/Neurontin?
Does it work as good as Oxycontin/Neurontin?

Thanks!

I'm slowly losing faith with doctors. They seem to push drugs on people that they may not really need. I think doctors like giving heroin addicts Methadone because they dont make money off heroin (but they make money off Methadone.)
Epidurals and facet injections
5/15/06 Discogram confirmed L4-L5 DDD also an asymptomatic L5-S1 tear
10/24/06 L4-L5 Prodisc surgery with Dr. Goldstein
CAT scans & X-Rays show ossification
Trigger Point Injections, Medial Branch Blocks, Acupuncture, Weekly Deep Tissue Massage
10/27/08 Discogram (positive L5-S1)
11/25/08 L5-S1 fusion with Dr. Goldstein
FAILED BACK SYNDROME
Liberty Mutual WC
Old 09-25-2007, 02:36 AM

Eddie,
I have seen nortryptyline used as an adjunct to pain meds ect and to promote sleep. It is an antidepressant but has a sleepiness side effect. Did they tell you to take it at night? It is if I remember correctly a tricylic antidepressant. It works on the brain. As with most meds in it metabolized by the liver. I don't recall hearing anything too alarming about it. It has been around a long time so there should be lots of info on it.
I took it about 5 years ago and it did not help me.
Good luck
Old 09-25-2007, 10:13 AM

I was told a long time ago when in the throes of bad back pain that the tricyclic antidepressants relax muscles and help you sleep. I didnt like the idea of them because I knew they promoted weight gain which would have depressed me further!
I eventually settled on a very low dose at night for a while but didn't want to depend on them so came off after about 6 months.
Get as much advice as you can from other people like us or from the many websites.
Good luck
Lynette
Old 09-26-2007, 04:14 PM

I used nortryptyline a few years ago..I couldnt sleep because of nerve ending twitching, there was no good side to lie on.
It worked and I used it for about 6 months..i still got a numb foot when I push myself 24/7 ( I am a soldier, so once in the field its a very long day)..I took myself off of it..just to see how the nerve ending where firing..and the nerves had settled down enough for me to sleep without the nortryptyline.
In terms of back pain I find tyn 3 work but once the nerve ending start firing in the legs and hips only two things have worked...nortryptyline, or the perc.
I had surgery about 60 days ago..and have been doing about 30 minutes of stretching twice a day for the past 3 days..the result...waking up in the middle of the night with the nerve ending firing..one perc and 30 minutes later I can go to sleep..I can make it most of the day with no Pain med but for some reason at night the nerve ending go into overtime.
I have been think about the nortryptyline lately but since I have had corrective surgery and the fact I have good nights and bad nights I like the option of shutting of the meds to see how things are going.
Nortryptyline wont work in 30 minutes. I think its more of a long term program but a good one..perhaps a beter solution to taking a bunch of perc a day.
Perhaps a new thread is in order..
Old 09-29-2007, 09:47 PM

Eddie G
I was put on Pamelor about 15 years ago for neck and shoulder pain and I worked miracles, I am still on it and if I miss a dose my pain returnes.

As I said it worked for my upper back, but it didn't work for my lower back. Just had major surgery for decompression and fusion on my lower back and I was taking Pamelor, I don't know what the difference was, but it definitely helped my other pain.

I will not be out of it because if I do I get in awful pain.

I hope this helps.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to JudyW
Default side effects

I was prescribed nortryptyline for migraines a couple of years ago by a neurologist. I was leary because I looked it up and saw it was an anti-depressant. It helped with the migraines but I eventually weaned myself off because I was tired of taking so much medication. If you go on it and decide to go off be careful to wean off or have the doctor wean you off. He said there could be bad side effects. Good luck.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to Eddie G
Thumbs up

Thanks everyone. 3 weeks and so far no effects yet.

My new pain management dr. wants to implant a spine stimulator now.
Epidurals and facet injections
5/15/06 Discogram confirmed L4-L5 DDD also an asymptomatic L5-S1 tear
10/24/06 L4-L5 Prodisc surgery with Dr. Goldstein
CAT scans & X-Rays show ossification
Trigger Point Injections, Medial Branch Blocks, Acupuncture, Weekly Deep Tissue Massage
10/27/08 Discogram (positive L5-S1)
11/25/08 L5-S1 fusion with Dr. Goldstein
FAILED BACK SYNDROME
Liberty Mutual WC
Old 10-23-2007, 12:43 AM

Lightbulb response

Nortryptilline at lower doses than are administered to a pt for depression have been shown to aid sleep. It is a fact that pt's with better sleep require substantially less narcotic medication. It sounds like the L5/S1 disc and the scar tissue present are you biggest problems. Endoscopic discectomy/ decompression would be my advice prior to a SCS assuming you have reasonalble disc height. A new herniation usually responds well. As for the scar tissue, a Racz procedure would be my next rec. to one of my patients. With both of these procedures, you need to find a well trained physician in these procedures or you won't get the best results. A SCS is ultimately a good thing in that we are having a lot more success covering axial LBP. It just sounds like there are other options for you prior to a Stim trial. Also, watch that combination of Oxycontin and Valium-both are HORRIBLE drugs in my opinion and work synergistically and not just additively. Good luck-I hope this helps.