Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss Metal Allergy and ADR ? in the Main forums forums; Hello everyone Hope all is doing well/better with their conditions. I am always keeping you in my thoughts I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2007, 10:58 AM

Default Metal Allergy and ADR ?

Hello everyone

Hope all is doing well/better with their conditions. I am always keeping you in my thoughts

I had a question that came in my mind about ADR. I see on several websites that during clinical trials for cervical/lumbar adr they have excluded patients with metal allergy. What does that exactly mean? I might be a candidate for 2level cervical adr sometime in the future and I do know that my skin gives reaction to anything other than gold. Like jewellery for example. I can't wear fake bracelets or necklaces etc..My skin gets a rash immediately. I was wondering if this is related to that kind of metal allergy. I am so sorry for my ignorance in this subject as I have just been diagnosed and have been doing research very recently. I know that they use very high quality metal in artificial discs but I was just wondering if they test for allergies before implanting them. And what would be the test like? I hope this hasn't been a silly question but I am trying to educate myself as much as possible.

Thank you very much again

Best regards to all

Sonata

c5-c6-c7 prolapsed discs
and some bone spurs
left arm slight pins and needles
Old 11-25-2007, 06:31 PM

They didn't even ask me about metal allergies. I think you don't need to worry as the surgical metals are ver well chosen and don't cause the kind of reaction cheap jewelry does. I have that allergy also but have not reacted to the ADR.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:00 PM

I believe there is a difference between actual allergies and skin sensitivities. I'm very fair complected and sensitive skin goes along with that. I too must be careful with what touches my skin. It does not however, mean that I'm allergic to it.

No one asked me either if I was allergic to any metals despite my history with asthma. I'm doing fine. I would certainly ask your doctor if this concerns you and if appropriate, the test is a relatively easy procedure.

My best to you and happy holidays, Dale
Old 11-25-2007, 07:47 PM
Administrator

This has been discussed in the patient communities at length through the years. In the hundreds of patients I know, I've never met anyone with a metal reaction. I've been attending the major spine conferences for 5 years now and have never seen any data about allergic reaction to an implant in any of the studies presented.

This is a question that should be answered by your doctor in a way that satisfies you. The same question applies for other implants, including fusion screws, rods, etc...

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 11-26-2007, 01:58 AM

Thank you for all the replies. I have noticed this in clinical trials patient criteria for some of the implants in the US. Nevertheless I feel more comfortable about it now I am hoping with all my heart that ADR is the optimal solution in the long run, that non will have to go through fusion ever again.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:00 AM

RIP Freedom of Speech

Last edited by Job13; 03-28-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:24 PM

I could never put cheap earings in my ears but the surgical steel ones where never a problem. Did your neighbor have an unusual allergy or just the usual irritations from nickel plated jewelry etc? I mentioned this before my surgery and it was deemed no problem. I am still fine, it seems the metal in my back is not causing any problems.

If its your first time with back pain wait and see is a good thing to do. I waited for years and I am glad I got this problem fixed but like said other places these surgeries are anything but routine and should only be considered a last resort.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:29 PM

I thought I would bring this thread alive again, since it affects me and possibly others so greatly. I also have the same reaction to jewelery as the OP, and someone recently recommended that I have a blood test done at Rush University in Chicago.

The results show that I am extremely reactive to Nickel, which is present in almost all spine hardware in different amounts, as well as highly allergic to cobalt, chromium, molybdenum, iron, and several others. Basically there are no current ADR appliances out there in common use that I can use that I've yet found.

My surgeon was quite concerned when I first brought up my Nickel allergy, as there were at least four cases reported at the last major spine conference in London, England this past May. The patients had to have major revision surgery done after months of trying to find the cause of their post-op illness.

While this is not common, it is a very serious complication which deserves investigation before surgery. The testing was initially started because of problems after hip and knee replacement surgeries. Sixty percent of the surgeries with problems afterwards were concluded to be caused by metal allergies. Some presented like infections, some had other symptoms.

Thankfully there has been progress made in this area. I am one of the lucky ones who benefited from being tested before surgery.
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:36 PM

Default never considered this

Hey Katie,
after continuing to read the updated part of this post I realized I cannot wear earrings unless they are gold, silver or surgerical steel w/o an irritation of my earlobes that is itchy, reddened and will even drain purulent material if worn in my piercings(2 per lobe).

I don't wear anything but gold usually as I've also had a reaction with necklaces (itching on upper chest, rash) altho I can tolerate most silver as well.

Never even considered allergy testing for metals...
Old 10-12-2009, 02:45 PM

Hi Maria,

I could wear some gold, not others, depending on the mixture of other metals in the piece of jewelery. The very weird part is that I could often wear an earring in my right ear, but not my left. I have swollen lymph nodes all the time on the left side too, but not the right. Go figure. Same reactions as you with all other metals, even silver. I was a cheap date...no expensive jewelery was necessary

There is good and bad to this testing. I avoided a very serious complication, but now I have no idea where to go or what to use for my four to five level DDD (depending on which surgeon I speak to as to the number needing treatment).

I feel like I'm starting all over again from four years back. But I'm now much wiser.

Maria, have you had surgery, and if so do you have any complications? You don't have anything in your signature and I haven't gone back through old posts, sorry.
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:30 PM

Default my spine surgeries

Katie,
Have had 2 but no hardware. Discectomy and partial laminectomy at L5S1 (open surgery) in which results were good but then L4 bulged and I had a percutaneous discectomy at that level that failed big big time... since then (1992) the spine surgeries recommended for me have been 3 level global fusion L3-L5S1, 2 level ADR, then lastly in 2006 ADR at L4 and fusion at L5S1.

I had no further surgery past the two discectomies and more recently my OSS said L5S1 has autofused. I have much less pain/probs with my tailbone now. Feel more stable *down there*...

Oh yes, also my wedding ring and engagement ring are platinum and I tolerate this far better than gold or silver rings. I've always had problems with rings so didn't want to even wear one for the longest time.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:46 PM

Wink Why ADRs aren't made from platinum

I know of two women who have serious metal allergies. They can both wear platinum. Anybody know the price of a platinum ADR? Though in reality, you'd probably want to wear it on the outside of your body for all to see. Nah, that wouldn't be a good idea because you'd be homeless and living on the streets and afraid to close your eyes lest somebody steal it. However, you'd probably recieve a great deal of publicity and maybe some rich people would take sympathy with your plight and offer you a place to live for life. Unfortunately, the paparazzi would camp at your doorstep for a glimpse of your priceless ADR and you'd have no privacy. Then because you'd probably lose your temper and kick one of your staulkers, you'd end up doing community service. The next thing you know, you'll be picking up trash alongside the freeway. But then, oncoming drivers would be temporarily blinded by the glare of the sun off of your exposed ADR. The next scene would be your loved ones making the decision to turn off your machines and donating your organs, including donating your ADR to some other unsuspecting spiney who has the misfortune of a metal allergy and the whole process will just begin again.

Bad idea, forget this whole post!
Old 10-14-2009, 03:05 AM

Default hmmm...

Well let's just say that if anything is done here in the U.S. and with an insurance carrier paying for it you can bet your bottom dollar that the cheapest grade metal will be used and most certainly not platinum even if I were allergic and it was the only substance that could safely be implanted in my body ~ with this current healthcare system even if there was an authorization to use the implant that one isn't allergic to probably by the time the patient (me) would get to the operating room the implant would be lying in it's pretty clear package~ and it would be platinum plated only!
Old 11-21-2013, 06:51 PM

Default Any new information on Metal Allergy?

Has there been any recent developments on metal allergies and ADR?

Anyone reporting reactions?
2 level Prodisc ADR L4-S1, Feb. 18, 2008 Dr. Bertagnoli - Straubing, Germany - SUCCESS -

Now I struggle with Neck Pain likely c5-7
PT, injections, rhizotomy.......MRI and CT Myleo not consistent with pain symptoms, waiting that out, keeping my passport valid
Old 11-24-2013, 10:38 PM
Administrator

Hi Cheryl,

This is a subject that we never see too much about. I've known a few people who felt that they did have metal allergies that were in play, but I've never seen anything resembling reliable data about it. I do know some people who have been tested for metal allergies prior to ADR surgery. I'm not sure how useful it is... allergy testing is not very exact. (although I would tend to believe a severe respose.)

I hope all else is fine... call some time and we'll catch up.

All the best,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org