Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss airplane travel to germany in the Main forums forums; Hello everyone I am new to this forum even though I've been reading in for a while now. Looks ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2008, 02:22 AM

Default airplane travel to germany

Hello everyone I am new to this forum even though I've been reading in for a while now. Looks like I will be going to Germany to have adr surgery and I was wondering how those of you that have traveled overseas for the surgery had managed the trip and what do you recommend to make the trip bearable.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:46 AM

I have not had surgery in Germany, but we went five years ago (after I had cervical spine problems). I wore my inferential machine, and surprisingly, had no trouble getting through security with the machine on. I took a sleeping pill while I was still in the airport. I had one of those blow-up neck pillows to use on the plane.

The only real problem I had was that the seats were smaller than normal and we were in the middle of the plane. There were two aisle rows with two seats each and one middle row with six in the middle. As luck had it, we had seats 3 and 4 in the middle row, with two people on either side of us. I could not move without bumping into someone and felt very claustophobic. We flew Swiss Air and I am not sure if the other airlines' planes are arranged the same.

What I would do next time is book farther in advance, not go during holidays (it was Christmas time), and make sure that we got two seats in the aisle row.

Also, Munich is a very large airport, and even though I had only one medium suitcase to roll, it quickly became too much for me. By the time we got the rental car and drove to our destination outside of Munich, I was exhausted even though the sleeping pill had helped me to sleep on the plane.

Bavaria is a beautiful state and we enjoyed our time there. Almost everyone spoke at least some English and people seemed to enjoy helping us and practicing their English.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:28 AM

If possible book business class. If you have "miles" with an airline there are many ways to upgrade for cheap or free. Calling the airlines rather then booking on the web will also increase your change of a good fare. Fly nonstop, please fly non stop. Depending on where you travel from it makes big difference in trip length and unessesary running arround at a stop over airport. Depending on your problem buy multiple coach seats early when the prices are low. I was planing on 4 (!) seats, the WHOLE centersection of the plane but luckily I was able to book business class using my airlines mileage program. I needed it, both ways.

Good luck!
Old 01-12-2008, 08:34 AM

Not sure if you meant flying over or the whole thing of travel to/in Germany. There has been a few writeups on the net about what to expect in germany, some of the hospitals have some good tips also.

I myself am very (too) familiar with Germany and would not be too good on commenting on this part as I speak the language and understand the television programs. Someone elso needs to jump in.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:14 AM

book your tickets at LEAST 8 weeks out and you can get good deals on biz class tickets.
we flew last aug and i got the round trip biz class tickets for 2500.00 each.
chuck
try to avoid usair as there seat are old and can be tough on the butt.
facet block neg
lost all appeals BCBS 5 months of that
3 surgeons later
surgery with dr. bertagnoli aug 2nd 2006 in Bogen Germany Successfully ProDisc-L L-4 L-5
Old 01-13-2008, 02:34 AM

Default If you're not too tall

If you're not too tall, I found a way to be very comfortable.

3 seats coach, together. It's cheaper than one seat business class. You can book good fares a month or so in advance, unlike business which is astronomical unless booked two or more months in advance. And you can lie completely flat, and few airlines have business class seats that recline completely flat.

This last tidbit is what really made it work for me: I bought a memory foam mattress topper, folded it four times, wrapped it in a sheet (sewed shut), and it fit perfectly over the three seats (you want full size, not twin or queen). It rolls up easily, and I bungee corded it to a rolling duffle bag to shlep it around. Stewardesses came up to ask where I bought it.

Hope this is helpful. Let me know if you want more details about making the foam cushion.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:45 PM

Welcome to the forum though sorry you find the need. I tried posting yesterday but my post disappeared 3 times, so here goes again.

I too recommend flying business class if your budget allows. I did love the idea of that topper. Lufthansa's bus class has flat seats that although they're not completely horizontal, you should be able to find a comfortable position. Non-stop would also limit sitting, waiting, walking and flying time.

I also recommend a DVD player because Germany's only English TV station is CNN. I'm so sick of CNN... sick, sick, sick (and that's with a DVD player)

Can you tell us a little about your circumstances.

Good luck to you, Dale
Old 01-13-2008, 05:17 PM

Lets see here...

If you can fly business / first class - do it!!! Your whole body will thank you both going and coming.

If flying coach - bring a neck pillow to help with sleeping during flight.

A sleeping pill is a great idea.

Direct flight is a must. Also, if you live in the mid-west I would recommend a flight out of say Chicago or maybe New York. They will fly directly accross. We made the mistake of arranging our flight from Ohio to Atlanta GA. The flight from Atlanta was much longer because they follow the coastline clear up to say like Maine then they fly accross the ocean.

DVD - A must have - either on the plane or in the hotel.

Bring an electric outlet converter for any appliances you plan on bringing such as a laptop, curling iron et al. The plugs on our devices are not compatible other wise.

Bring all of you medications and then some in labeled bottles!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-13-2008, 06:18 PM

Default Entertainment

Further to the subtopic of entertainment. I laboriously taped 100 DVDs from tv for my trip and managed to ruin them all. So I was forced into books-on-iPod by default, and I really loved that. With one ear pod, you can lie completely still, eyes closed, as comfortable as it's possible to be under our miserable circumstances. It was especially good for me since I can only lie on my side.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:29 AM

Thank you all. It will help on my plan to have ADR surgery around April-May..
I have a grade 5 annular tear (L5-S1) which did not respond to a nucleoplasty i had done in september...My leg and back pains have been getting worse and worse, unbearable some days.
L5S1 Activ-L, Alpha Klinik, Dr. Zeegers 4/08
Old 01-14-2008, 01:55 PM

Default coach seats

When I was checking out flights to Germany I looked into buying the 3 coach seats as I travel that way from California to Florida every year and am nearly comfortable as I'm on the short/small side.

This last trip back from Florida I thought I would die with the plane seats I was lying across just while waiting for the plane to take off. My hips were burning and aching and I was ever so glad to get bumped from that plane for mechanical probs. Fortunately the plane that finally went out had far more comfortable seats.

I think that idea mentioned about the topper is GREAT! Direct flights as well as even one stop is killer for me esp. since we have to arrive at the airport so early for international flights, stand or sit around and usually I don't sleep well at all the night before my flight so I'm exhausted. Sleeping pill is another great idea as long as the flight is long enough. That was the only reason I didn't take one last time I flew.

Good luck and make sure you question whoever makes the reservations re the seating, armrests going up and every detailed question you can think of. I always look online at the seating arrangements while making reservations.